Thread: Just out of curiousity...

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default Just out of curiousity...

So after my recording last week it looks like my rev rate is about 325 and my speed is about 18.5-19 MPH (2.2 to 2.3 seconds from release to pin hit). Would that be considered a stroker or tweener? Speed dominant or rev dominant? Trying to slow my speed down and last night was about 1 MPH slower according to the lanes sensors. They measure at the pins and normally reads about 17.5 MPH or so. Last night mid-way I slowed it down to about 16.5 MPH as per the sensors.

Not sure why I am asking this other than curiosity...lol.

And been trying to see my track on my new ball but after 3 sessions have yet to see any oil or markings other than scuffs from the return. And being a lefty it shouldn't dry up that fast. Figured I would have the PSO check my PAP, etc. but without any markings would be tough. Planning to buy another ball soon to use for spares and figured knowing these things might help drill it up properly? New ball is a Hammer Black Widow Gold.

I know I am throwing too hard. Getting off balance on my release and just feel like I am really forcing it. Trying to get a more relaxed approach and let the momentum carry it.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So after my recording last week it looks like my rev rate is about 325 and my speed is about 18.5-19 MPH (2.2 to 2.3 seconds from release to pin hit). Would that be considered a stroker or tweener? Speed dominant or rev dominant? Trying to slow my speed down and last night was about 1 MPH slower according to the lanes sensors. They measure at the pins and normally reads about 17.5 MPH or so. Last night mid-way I slowed it down to about 16.5 MPH as per the sensors.

If you go with the 18-19 mph & 325 rpm slightly speed dominate.

For the most part Stroker, Tweener and Cranker are more or less just defined by your rev rate now.

These are just approximations and others might say a little different number.
    Stroker: 250 to 325 rev rate
    Tweener: 325 to 385 rev rate
    Cranker: 400 to 500 rev rate

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I found this https://www.thoughtco.com/bowling-styles-420494

It mentions "Power Stroker", I would assume there would be a "Power Tweener" and "Power Cranker" and I guess that means they are the speed dominate versions of each category but it doesn't mention MPH.

High Roller

kinda what I was thinking. Not sure why I even need to know...lol. I guess because last I bowled you just got a ball, got it drilled and knocked down pins. There were no assymetrical balls (that I know of), no PAP, no axis of rotation, etc. Guess I'm just trying to get caught up.

kinda what I was thinking. Not sure why I even need to know...lol. I guess because last I bowled you just got a ball, got it drilled and knocked down pins. There were no assymetrical balls (that I know of), no PAP, no axis of rotation, etc. Guess I'm just trying to get caught up.
    Yeah, I'm having a tough time with the technical part too. The most technical stuff I remember from the 90's was how much side weight you had. Even that I didn't care much about.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

As humans we have this funny desire to label people. It probably dates back to the instincts that made some tribes more sucessful than others. As far as bowling goes, labels are useless. If I were a PSO, I would need to know facts about a bowler, like what’s his or her PAP, how fast do they throw, rev rate, etc. in order to recommend a ball and lay the grip out correctly. As a coach, I’m going to look how the individual bowls, and what’s good and should be kept, and what’s bad and needs to be changed.

Do you really need to know what your label is? Not unless it’s really important for you to self identify with with other tweeners, or strokers, or whatever.
    Do you need to know your stats? It can be helpful when talking to your PSO, even more so when going to a new pro shop, but it’s not absolutely needed.
    John