Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: playing inside lines

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default playing inside lines

So last time out practicing I tried getting into some oil and tried throwing over the 3rd arrow. IIRC I was standing with my left foot on the middle dot (left handed here). The ball didn't come back much and missed the head pin completely. Closest I can see is my rev rate is about 325 or so and my speed at that time was about 18.5 MPH or so. Last time out I slowed my ball down a little but didn't try the inside line. My reason for trying inside is that there is hardly any oil from the second arrow out. I have been struggling and thought I would just try something different. I'm using a Hammer Black Widow Gold and get quite a bit of backend. Is my rev rate the reason I can't throw in the oil or is there another reason? Just curious. Here is a video of me throwing my normal line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgCCxqR6Lm8

From your description it sounds like you were throwing pretty straight up the third arrow (15). You may want to try moving right and getting the ball at a little bit more of an angle, to bounce it off the dry outside. Personally, I'd probably start with a 3 board move in, still targeting that third arrow to see how the ball reacts there. Your goal is to use the oil and dry area to your advantage.

High Roller

Yeah it went out but not sure it made it out to the first arrow. only tried it 2 or 3 times then gave up. going to go get some practice in again in a couple weeks so will try it again

Chats: 32

Sounds like MC here is correct. Try starting of with your normal line and move about 6 boards right with your feet and three right with your target and see how that works.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Sounds like MC here is correct. Try starting of with your normal line and move about 6 boards right with your feet and three right with your target and see how that works.
    that is actually exactly what I was doing at boatman's lanes towards the end. Would have liked to use a ball drilled pin up for that approach though as i was falling off the deck on the 9 pin side (i am a righty) when I was hitting the pocket.

High Roller

Thanks. Will try that. My new ball is drilled pin up with quite a bit of back end so I would 'think' it would come back but I have never thrown that way. I have never thrown any further in than the 2nd arrow so might be a learning 'curve' (pun intended...lol)

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Thanks. Will try that. My new ball is drilled pin up with quite a bit of back end so I would 'think' it would come back but I have never thrown that way. I have never thrown any further in than the 2nd arrow so might be a learning 'curve' (pun intended...lol)
    Hardest part is trusting your mark. It feels like you need to bring it more towards the center but you don’t

From the video it looks like your ball is going over the second arrow and not the third. Maybe I'm wrong. I am left handed also and sometimes play that line a lot with my reactive ball.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Pin Crusher

Only shot I saw over the 3rd arrow was you shot at the 4-7 spare. How do you know your ball speed? It looked slower than 18.5.

Chats: 2

So, I would say you have the rev rate to play in there, however, the ball speed is going to almost seem irrelevant as the further inside you move into the oil, the ball speed will go up as there isn't any friction to slow it down. The Black Widow Gold is a great ball and has a ton of potential to play inside a bit. I would say it's the angle you are trying to play. In the video, it looks like you are rolling over about the 7 board fairly straight. I would say, if you need to create a bit more entry angle down lane, get a little softer out of your hand, make a 3-1 move left with your feet and keep the same break point around the 7 board. Too far inside, the ball never picks up enough friction to make the move.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast