Thread: What am I doing Wrong VIDEO

Default What am I doing Wrong VIDEO

Just started bowling this year by joining a league back in September. Started trying to hook the ball about a month after that. Have slowly improved and as time has went on. Probably average 165 or so now although I rolled a 235 last week!

Any ways I took my nine year old daughter bowling yesterday for a bit and had her video me. First time I have ever done this and after watching it I'm laughing at myself for how bad it looks. I had no idea my backswing was so short and low and my swing foot just stays behind me and doesn't kick out at all?

Any input?

And let me know if the video link works.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...o4Qm5POHNRUjJB

Can I at least get a confirmation that the video link works for you guys?

Chats: 32

Alex the video does work. I'm not the best at analyzing mechanics so I'll leave that to the others here. I will say for a new bowler your not looking that bad the timing is at least ok you looked balanced at the finish. I wouldn't worry to much about the leg kick as long as it's not in the way. It does look like you drift right quite a bit on the approach though.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Cranker
    Chats: 0

The video is working. The ball is completely blocked by your body until the back swing so hard to gauge much on timing and swing plane from that angle. You do have a drift as Amyers mentioned but if you are consistent with it then it shouldn't be a huge deal. I will say that it looks like you are trying to make the ball hook and coming around the ball. Try to stay behind the ball more and focus on keeping your fingers below the equator of the ball and let the ball roll off your hand.

So the bumpers were for my daughter which pushed me left of where I was wanting to play.... So maybe that had a little to do with me drifting right. But I agree that's something I probably do regardless. Am I supposed to walk straight up? I assumed I wanted to walk parallel to the balls trajectory when it's leaving my hand.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    So the bumpers were for my daughter which pushed me left of where I was wanting to play.... So maybe that had a little to do with me drifting right. But I agree that's something I probably do regardless. Am I supposed to walk straight up? I assumed I wanted to walk parallel to the balls trajectory when it's leaving my hand.
    There are different schools of thought on that walking towards your target a few boards isn't a bad thing. I can't see exactly where your lining up but it appears that your starting around 35 your slide foot appears to be around 12 that's too much
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I never realized it after 35 years of bowling but I recorded myself a few weeks ago and realized I drift away from my mark about 5 boards but it is consistent so guess it isn't a problem. I'm just coming back from a 15 year break so not sure if I did it before or not but I'm not trying to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    There are different schools of thought on that walking towards your target a few boards isn't a bad thing.
    In my humble opinion, as long as you are consistent with your drift, it's something you can work with.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I never realized it after 35 years of bowling but I recorded myself a few weeks ago and realized I drift away from my mark about 5 boards but it is consistent so guess it isn't a problem. I'm just coming back from a 15 year break so not sure if I did it before or not but I'm not trying to correct it.
    DON'T. It would just screw you up trying to fix it at this point. Once certain things are ingrained into older folk like us, we're better off not trying to change a whole lot. It could lead to worse things. That's why I always tell young people to learn the right way from the start and take lessons. Once bad habits are learned, it's very hard to unlearn them.

The changes I can make are timing, release, and equipment choices. But other than that, I'm not likely to change much. Not at 55.
    Last edited by Eddy; 02-21-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Chats: 10

Drifting is not too big of a deal, most people do it. However, I would perhaps try to start a few boards more right. One other thing was your release. To me it looked like your hand is over rotating a bit. Instead of giving someone a handshake, it looks your palm of your hand is facing down and not to the side. But what do I know...
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com