Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting the ego aside: I'm hiring a bowling coach

Default Putting the ego aside: I'm hiring a bowling coach

Me: "Hi, I'm JP..."
    Support Group: "Hi, JP."
    Me: "...It's been one day since my last bad series".

Okay, I just got my first fingertip ball last October. I have three balls, now (*insert juvenile jokes here*), and they provide me with three different ways to bowl badly. So, I am finally doing something about it. Today, I contacted a coach to get things rolling (sorry for the bad pun).

At any rate, if I am going to spend all this money on equipment, I might want to spend a few dollars to actually learn how to use it correctly.

What's ego got to do with it? Every Bowler on the PBA Tour as well as every golfer on the PGA Tour have coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    What's ego got to do with it? Every Bowler on the PBA Tour as well as every golfer on the PGA Tour have coaches.
    I'm speaking personally. For me, it was an attitude of "I can figure this out. I've got YouTube, after all." I can't speak for anyone but me thus, the reason for the title of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    I'm speaking personally. For me, it was an attitude of "I can figure this out. I've got YouTube, after all." I can't speak for anyone but me thus, the reason for the title of this post.
    So for all of us who spent thousands of dollars and countless hours learning to be effective coaches, we should just crawl back into our holes because you've got YouTube?

Interesting...so, I admitted that I was wrong about not needing a coach and this insulted you?
    Last edited by jaypeesmith; 02-20-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Chats: 4

I've got what I like to call my built-in coach as I
    bowl with a silver level coach and I get all of my
    coaching for free saves me some $$$$ that's for
    sure.

Yeah getting a good coach is well worth the time
    and money spent having my coach has helped me
    get out of most if not all of the bad habits that I
    taught myself years ago.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    I've got what I like to call my built-in coach as I
    bowl with a silver level coach and I get all of my
    coaching for free saves me some $$$$ that's for
    sure.

Yeah getting a good coach is well worth the time
    and money spent having my coach has helped me
    get out of most if not all of the bad habits that I
    taught myself years ago.
    That sounds cool. I actually went to "practice" a couple of weeks back and next to me were two guys who appeared to be in their late 50's, at least, along with an older gentleman. The two guys were striking and sparing like nobody's business. So, one of the guys, obviously feeling good about how well he was doing, struck up a conversation with me and let know that the older gentleman was coaching them. He told me that I should have seen how bad he was starting out and that it was the best money he's ever spent. That really got me to thinking about how much I desired to get better and that it would not be too late for me to really learn. So, I am looking forward to starting the journey. Lord knows I've got a lot to (un)learn.

Chats: 0

I'm soon to become a coach myself but luckily one of my new co-workers already is. I not only plan on getting his advice on coaching but having him help me with my own game as well. I don't think I have too many issues but on the same token far from perfect. I would welcome his and any coaches input. As for regular Joe's who aren't coaches, I listen to what they say. If it has merit I'll give their advice a shot. You never know what will work if you don't try. If it's out in left field then I'll politely thank them and go about my business.

With Youtube, I watch the pro's and USBC instructional video's. Other than that youtube is good if you want to see what happens when you put an iphone in a blender or change out a wheel hub assembly on a Chevy SUV.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

A good coach is definitely worth it. A lot of time you may not be feeling what you are doing wrong but a coach may be able to spot something right away and work on correcting it. Also the really good coaches will coach to fixes causes and not symptoms. For example, if you take a skip or maybe fall off balance at the foul line. They may not even address those things but maybe fix your timing and then you suddenly notice you aren't skipping or falling off balance any more.

Worked with a couple of coaches, have always gotten something from them that I can improve. Funny this thread came up. I live about 1.5 hrs from one of they most advanced bowling training facilities. Kegel Training Facility http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/ Several folks I bowl with, some seniors, a couple of youth bowlers that are aspiring PBA bowlers have all gone there and had nothing but good things to say about the place. They aren't cheap, and offer different levels of instruction, living this close I am tempted to make the trip. Guess its a bucket list thing. Ill let you know if I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast