Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First day on the job @ the bowling alley

Chats: 0

Default First day on the job @ the bowling alley

First off all I can say is I'm REALLY gonna enjoy this job. I started out learning how to open. Most of which I'll forget or have already forgotten, no biggie. Then I worked the counter for a few hours. It wasn't really busy but everything is pretty much point and click. It's all a matter of knowing where everything is. The rest is dealing with the customers, having a smile on your face and chatting them up. All pretty simple stuff.

Later I went behind the lanes. The mechanic gave me an information overload on how all that stuff works. The guy is excellent at his craft and takes pride in his work. Everything in the shop is just so, very organized and as idiot proof as you can make it. He literally has 2 pre-built assemblies ready for installation for just about every part of those machines in case anything goes wrong and he's not there. All ready to bolt right on.

He also has very detailed "How to" instructions that walk you step by step on replacing just about everything. Detailed preventative maintenance schedules & work logs. He already knows on each pinsetter what's up and coming and what will be breaking soon. He's been doing it 35yrs.

So far all I had to do besides listen carefully and watch the machines work was a few minor calls. One out of range, two stuck balls and a pin re-spot. After that we had to go clean up drywall off 3 lanes and gutters because some idiot launched a ball off the lane into a pillar along side the lanes. Then before I left and the leagues came in we had to clean the decks and run the oil machine which they do daily. It's very cool. The machines themselves actually announce over the loud speaker (in the back) when a rake is stuck down, out of range or other error occurs. The only thing the counter has to call back for is a stuck ball or re-spot for the most part.

I really feel like I'm learning from the right person to do this job right. I'm gonna try to pick his brain for every detail I can. Tomorrow I work the evening shift at the counter and bar. They are gonna be a fully packed house so I should be able to bring home some good tips. Finally a job where I'm not going to dread going into work every day for the first time in my life.

Sounds good Phonetek.
    You're getting your feet wet and have a good mentor on the machines. That guy has his mind on things which is darn important if you want to be good.
    Congrats on finding a good house to work in...

Congratulations. Reading your posts are a good "pick me up". As the saying goes, "choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." It sounds like you could be on that path.

Thank you. It's only a small house (12 lanes) so it's an excellent place to start. It would be much harder at a much larger or split house to be as organized and ready for everything like he is.

Cranker

Awesome sounds like a good starts and sounds like a great center to work and bowl at. Just remember respect the machines, I've heard of a few accidents where lane guys got careless and have seriously gotten themselves hurt. Other than that, good luck with the job.

Thank you. Oh most definitely safety first! I may not like all my body parts but they tend to come in handy in one way or another, wouldn't wanna lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    Congratulations. Reading your posts are a good "pick me up". As the saying goes, "choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." It sounds like you could be on that path.
    Sorry Jay, your post snuck in while I was responding to the one above yours. I wanted to make sure I acknowledged your comment. Thank you, I appreciate the compliment. All I can say it's good to be happy for a change, it's been a long long road to get here. If I can make others feel good because of it then it's a win win in my book. I'm glad I could contribute even if just a little bit.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 02-21-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Ringer

Very nice, I can almost hear the excitement in your voice. sounds like your going to have some fun tonight with the full house.

I'll soon find out. Can't wait to get there. It will be nice to have some money in my pocket again for a change.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I'll soon find out. Can't wait to get there. It will be nice to have some money in my pocket again for a change.
    time to upgrade the arsenal then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast