Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back in this

Default back in this

hello everyone ..it's been almost exactly 20 years since I've bowled but I've recently caught the fever and have been back at it for a few weeks now ..I was decent high 180's avg in my teens but life happens and have been wanting to get back in it for a while ..I'm posting a couple short vids in the hopes that someone w/ knowledge can point out any pros/cons while I'm still fresh and before any bad habits start really settling in ..before I even started back up I read about the triax spare shooting and it seems to work very well for me already had a couple clean games ..I just had my daughter random vid me, did not want to know when it was happening ..super informative message board here thanks !!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7T1rlkW4VzH201qo1
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/u99aAs93BtOSUJIL2
    Last edited by DubyaP; 02-23-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

welcome back. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

thanks !! vids fixed

Heya DubyaP, Welcome back to the sport. Since there is a growing number of us that's made a return to bowling we started a thread specifically to tell our story feel free to tell yours too. http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...t-thread/page3

Your vids are a tad short to really make a good assessment of your skills or issues to be honest. When practicing for the vids to be effective I recommend you take them from different angles if you can. Side views and back views. Front views can be tough depending on how busy your house is and if they have places to put the camera without walking on lanes or interfering with other bowlers.
    When coming back after a long time just like many of us our timing is going to be off. For example starting the push away at the same time as the first step on the 4 step approach. Allowing the ball to swing freely, not stopping it before it's peak and then not forcing it on the front swing. On the slide step, staying down, posting your shot and watching your mark until the ball passes over it. These are places to start with your approach and things to review after you take your video's. Once you get these things down then you work on things like release, accuracy & equipment among other things.

Getting a good practice regimen is important as well. Working on spares & striking at different lines and most of all NOT worrying about score. It's hard work coming back but if your serious about it and want to get to the next level, these are things to work on to be successful. Post video's, ask questions, do some research and consider getting a coach. There are many many capable people on here to help with just about anything as well as USBC certified coaches. Again, welcome back and enjoy. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Heya DubyaP, Welcome back to the sport. Since there is a growing number of us that's made a return to bowling we started a thread specifically to tell our story feel free to tell yours too. http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...t-thread/page3

Your vids are a tad short to really make a good assessment of your skills or issues to be honest. When practicing for the vids to be effective I recommend you take them from different angles if you can. Side views and back views. Front views can be tough depending on how busy your house is and if they have places to put the camera without walking on lanes or interfering with other bowlers.
    When coming back after a long time just like many of us our timing is going to be off. For example starting the push away at the same time as the first step on the 4 step approach. Allowing the ball to swing freely, not stopping it before it's peak and then not forcing it on the front swing. On the slide step, staying down, posting your shot and watching your mark until the ball passes over it. These are places to start with your approach and things to review after you take your video's. Once you get these things down then you work on things like release, accuracy & equipment among other things.

Getting a good practice regimen is important as well. Working on spares & striking at different lines and most of all NOT worrying about score. It's hard work coming back but if your serious about it and want to get to the next level, these are things to work on to be successful. Post video's, ask questions, do some research and consider getting a coach. There are many many capable people on here to help with just about anything as well as USBC certified coaches. Again, welcome back and enjoy. =)
    appreciate the advice ..will def refer back to this ..as a matter of fact I'm currently trying to improve upon what I bolded, sounds like it would be an easy fix but I struggle maintaining that focus until the ball passes ..thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by DubyaP View Post
    appreciate the advice ..will def refer back to this ..as a matter of fact I'm currently trying to improve upon what I bolded, sounds like it would be an easy fix but I struggle maintaining that focus until the ball passes ..thanks again
    Watching your target is one of the most difficult things to accomplish. However in order to do that, most of the mechanical things have to be in sync first. Saying "easy fix" I think is rushing into it. To get back to your game and take it to the next level you first have to realize "easy fixes" are only going to take you down the road to frustration and you don't want that.
    Practice is the key. Having the right plan when practicing is very important. Again, don't worry about scores in practice. You're not there to bowl a 300 or even throw strikes. Practice is just that. Think of it like batting practice in baseball. Those guys don't come to batting practice to knock it out of the park every swing. They are there to work on their swing and just make contact. Home runs in many cases don't win games, many times it's the small ball that makes the difference. You can't do small ball taking big hacks and striking out, you have to make contact. Bowling is no different.
    When you practice, try to work on two specific things each time you go but no more than that. Otherwise you try to do too many things and confuse yourself and end up doing 10 more things wrong. Two things each session and that's it. If you don't break a 100 you don't break a 100 who cares, that's why it's practice. The point is to work on that then but NOT when you bowl the real deal. When it's time for the real games, that's not the time to try to fix anything. If you try during the real games then you will do poorly and get upset. So, practice....watch your videos after each session and see if you were successful with what you were working on. Next time, pick two other things to work on. Sometimes by fixing one thing it can cause a new issue or fix others you weren't even thinking about.

Chats: 256

One thing I saw in your videos, maybe especially in the second one, is when you start your approach you get your body lower once you have started. May want to try getting your body into a ready stance and then start your steps.

Don't race to the line to deliver your ball. Seemed like you were running to the line. When I came back to bowling 12 or so years ago, I did the same thing.

Last thing, check out Chris Barnes's video for the 4 and 5 step approach. I refer back to this quite often when I am just needing to get myself back to the basics.

There is a great group of people on this site. Keep at it.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

awesome thanks ..better things seem to happen when I consciously slow my self down

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Watching your target is one of the most difficult things to accomplish. However in order to do that, most of the mechanical things have to be in sync first. Saying "easy fix" I think is rushing into it. To get back to your game and take it to the next level you first have to realize "easy fixes" are only going to take you down the road to frustration and you don't want that.
    Practice is the key. Having the right plan when practicing is very important. Again, don't worry about scores in practice. You're not there to bowl a 300 or even throw strikes. Practice is just that. Think of it like batting practice in baseball. Those guys don't come to batting practice to knock it out of the park every swing. They are there to work on their swing and just make contact. Home runs in many cases don't win games, many times it's the small ball that makes the difference. You can't do small ball taking big hacks and striking out, you have to make contact. Bowling is no different.
    When you practice, try to work on two specific things each time you go but no more than that. Otherwise you try to do too many things and confuse yourself and end up doing 10 more things wrong. Two things each session and that's it. If you don't break a 100 you don't break a 100 who cares, that's why it's practice. The point is to work on that then but NOT when you bowl the real deal. When it's time for the real games, that's not the time to try to fix anything. If you try during the real games then you will do poorly and get upset. So, practice....watch your videos after each session and see if you were successful with what you were working on. Next time, pick two other things to work on. Sometimes by fixing one thing it can cause a new issue or fix others you weren't even thinking about.
    yeah I'm looking forward to see how far I can take it now, not in a rush at all and am looking forward to taking it step by step just like you suggest ..anyone in Jersey here? I am not familiar w/ anyone capable of schooling me

Quote Originally Posted by DubyaP View Post
    yeah I'm looking forward to see how far I can take it now, not in a rush at all and am looking forward to taking it step by step just like you suggest ..anyone in Jersey here? I am not familiar w/ anyone capable of schooling me
    I'm in Illinois near Chicago but if you go to your local lanes you can call or ask the front desk and see if they have coaches. Many of them are there on weekends to coach youth bowlers in the morning leagues. If your local center don't have one you can also check other nearby centers or even their websites. What they charge is usually by the hour and it can vary anywhere from $20 and as high as $80 per hour. It depends on the level of certification of the coach, entry level, bronze, silver or gold. Gold is rare. Also sometimes if they have a pro shop in the center the pro shop owner (PSO) may also be a coach.
    In the interim until you find one just keep taking video's of yourself, post them here and review them yourself. People here will help and maybe you will see things you are doing wrong as well. It's funny how different you think you look vs. how you actually look when you see yourself on video. Other than that, practice practice practice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast