Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More issues with my release

Chats: 0

Default More issues with my release

I can't seem to keep my palm fully in contact with my ball throughout the swing. My span was fixed when I had the fingers re-drilled but as I swing I have my pointer finger stretched flat pressing on the ball. On the front swing it seems to not stay put and I have to readjust it and I can feel my palm come off the ball. So it makes me squeeze before my release making me not get out clean. I've tried playing with the grip in the thumb, add tape, take out tape and such with no luck.
    I tried an old Cobra wrist support for a couple balls but I hate those things. It did help keep everything in contact with the ball though. I'm not sure if it is because it has the finger on it holding it down on the ball or is it telling me my wrist isn't staying solid enough without it?

Chats: 32

Your palm shouldn't really be in contact with the ball thought the swing. You should more envision the ball resting on an imaginary point between the index and middle finger
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Watch Norm Duke's explanation of a good grip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ryROlclBQ0
    Hope this helps...

Cranker

Hmmm...I think I need to see a picture of what you mean. My full palm is never in contact with the ball, for a lack of a better work, the pads of my palm are touching the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Hmmm...I think I need to see a picture of what you mean. My full palm is never in contact with the ball, for a lack of a better work, the pads of my palm are touching the ball.
    I'm sorry guys I guess my description was very poor. Jason your description was the closest to what I am talking about. When I wore the Cobra those couple shots, it keeps the "pads" of my palm touching the ball and my hand stays in position. Without it my pointer finger slips down and I have to re-adjust it on the front swing before release. My pointer finger doesn't stay put flat on the ball and I have stretch it back out. Like Norm said in the video my grip is such where you can fit a pencil in it, during my swing it would be more than a single pencil. It's like my hand stretches during the swing.

Since the ball fits perfectly, I'm thinking this is going back to my physical problem I have with my hand and the ball may be just too heavy for it. Even though I can consistently throw it naturally 19-20 MPH it's obviously not too heavy for my body but too much for my hand to handle. Maybe that's why the Cobra fixed it? This week I ordered my kids equipment, next time it's my turn. I think I'll hold off worrying about this problem until I get a new 15lb ball and see if that fixes it. I'll be ordering one in the next week or two. In the interim maybe I'll stick with the Cobra as a temporary fix as much as I hate it.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Your palm shouldn't really be in contact with the ball thought the swing. You should more envision the ball resting on an imaginary point between the index and middle finger
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I believe the area being referring to is the pad at the base of the index finger (index knuckle).

The area indicated by the X at the base of the index finger:

The other X is the heel pad and generally doesn't make contact, unless you bowl thumbless then it could .

This image is from Bill Halls tri-grip info and indicates the main contact points and where the ball would be balanced in the hand.

Now things like the Center Line Transposition "CLT technique" or the Tri-grip will let the ball sit a little better into the palm, but it won't be dead flush with the entire palm.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-24-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I'm sorry guys I guess my description was very poor. Jason your description was the closest to what I am talking about. When I wore the Cobra those couple shots, it keeps the "pads" of my palm touching the ball and my hand stays in position. .
    If your using a Cobra properly:

The weight and balance of the ball should be hitting the all the points indicated in this image. With only the heel pad and some of the center of the palm not touching the ball.

The straight Cobra is a good support (I don't care for the adjustable one), I used one along time ago. I usually told anyone who started to use one, when you hold the ball. Turn your hand till you feel the weight of the ball go onto the index finger and knuckle pad and stop. that's the position you want to try and keep through out the swing. That and don't let the glove pull your hand around the ball just stroke through it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Phoney, I'll say that if you're tossing the ball at 19-20 mph that you have plenty of energy getting transferred to your ball. My guess is that your pro shop guy likely did a good job of fixing up your grip.
    You say that your pointer (index???) finger slips down? Down how? Down where? How far is your pointer finger from your middle finger on your swing?
    Turbo Grips sell a soft plastic thingy that you could wear on your pointer finger and keep it placed on the ball. You might want to get some of that bio tape that has a bit of stickiness to it wrapped around your pointer finger to keep it in touch with the ball.
    I have a number of shiny bowling balls with Storm's 1500 grit finish as they call it and my index finger stays put just great on those; however, if I go to one of the matte or sanded finish balls, my index finger doesn't have the same feel at all and I usually don't like it much. Some matte finishes are better than others though. Often I'll dampen my index finger a little bit before I get up there to bowl.
    Perhaps I hit on something that might help... Who knows? Good luck!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Turbo Grips sell a soft plastic thingy that you could wear on your pointer finger and keep it placed on the ball.
    The thingy is called the "Turbo-Rev" it's based on the old school trick of sticking a finger insert on your index finger to try and give you a few more revs on the ball.

Wow so many responses to answer, I didn't expect that.

Bowl: Yes, I was talking about the pad at the base of my index finger. It seems to come off the ball on my forward swing and my index finger slides down. The Cobra I have is the original old school black one, it's similar to the one pictured. When I wear it, my finger stays put. That turbo rev thing may work or maybe even a glove?

Djp: First...."Phoney"? LOL I think I need to change my screen name, I don't think I like Phoney. Plus, since I'm no longer a Phone tech anyway and now a pinsetter mechanic it doesn't exactly fit my occupation anymore. For some reason that was always my staple screen name on any forum since it's always available. The less thought I have to put into a screen name the better.

Back on topic, I generally have my index finger far stretched away from my fingers as far as it goes not close to them. When I say sliding down I don't mean side to side like a windshield wiper but toward the palm causing my finger to be arched on the ball. If I kept it like that I would lose revs so when I go forward I have to straighten it back out before the release point. To do that I end up squeezing to re-adjust resulting in getting out a tad late which also causes a loss of revs and accuracy.

I'm not sure if it's a ball finish thing I haven't noticed if there is a difference but I will pay attention tomorrow. I only have two balls at the moment, one is a shinny reactive and the other a dull urethane. The hammer I still have to have the thumb opened up more. My thumb swelled up last time and I didn't get out of it and almost flew down the lane because it didn't come off my hand. I had to put the ball down and take my fingers out with my other hand to get my thumb out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast