Thread: Upside down drilling??

Chats: 0

Default Upside down drilling??

Last night at the bowling alley I noticed this guy who had a urethane burgundy Hammer drilled upside down. Other words the finger holes were where the thumb would be and vise versa. What was the point of doing this? The only thing I noticed is that when he threw it the hammer logo was visible when he threw it so you can see it spinning like when a left hander throws it. I can't imagine he did this merely for ascetic reasons. Wouldn't that completely screw up how a ball would react? I would think even worse especially if it was one of these newer cores?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Without seeing exactly what it was, most likely a full roller layout.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

It just struck me as odd. I guess being at a bowling alley everyday I'm bound to see a lot of strange things. Some really stupid questions too. A lady asked if it was okay if she was to wear our bowling shoes without socks. I said "The person before you that had them on did the same thing and had some really cool looking purple and yellow foot fungus so knock yourself out." That was the end of that conversation and yes she wore socks.

Chats: 10

Was it similar to Tom Smallwoods ball he used today? If so, full roller layout.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 2

My guess is it is either a full roller, or some guys try to get creative and use what they call a 315 degree layout. Haven't seen it used very often, but it is supposed to smooth out the reaction. Not a very popular way to lay out a ball, but i've seen it done with abnormally short pins. Don't think that was the case though. Definitely think what you saw was a full roller with the pin to the left of the thumb (right handed). Matter of fact...Danny Wiseman used to use a 315 degree layout on some things.
    Last edited by chip82901; 02-26-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Definitely unusual but what would this do with a reactive resin ball with a symmetric core if you were to do it? I'd never think of doing it but I'm just curious how one of these advanced balls would react.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    My guess is it is either a full roller, or some guys try to get creative and use what they call a 315 degree layout. Haven't seen it used very often, but it is supposed to smooth out the reaction. Not a very popular way to lay out a ball, but i've seen it done with abnormally short pins. Don't think that was the case though. Definitely think what you saw was a full roller with the pin to the left of the thumb (right handed). Matter of fact...Danny Wiseman used to use a 315 degree layout on some things.
    315° layout Woooo that's a old one from Torgersen's old degree layout system. pretty much could only do it with a Pin-In Asym. ball. Basically supposed to give you a smooth arcing reaction, but you needed to be accurate with it.

for those who haven't seen it.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-07-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: fix link

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Definitely unusual but what would this do with a reactive resin ball with a symmetric core if you were to do it? I'd never think of doing it but I'm just curious how one of these advanced balls would react.
    A full roller layout is not some old time layout, they use them on todays balls if your a full roller. Symmetrical and Asymmetrical resin, urethane, plastic.

The layout (plus balance hole) adjusts the players flare etc.just like layouts do for anyone else. Low flare for dry, higher flare wet.

heres Radicals drill sheet for full rollers
    http://radicalbowling.com/uploads/do...er_Layouts.pdf
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-26-2018 at 06:45 PM.