Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help + Advice 2!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

There looks to be a gap of space where the back of your thumb is, to me that's way too big. There should be almost no space and the thumb should be snug. Beginners usually end up with thumb holes way too big because of the transition from house balls where the holes are enormous and you get into the habit of squeezing. Then when they get their own ball, they always think the thumbhole is too small and they keep getting enlarged because they are squeezing. Also your span looks a little short to me. Too much space between your palm and the ball.

In your most relaxed grip, do you feel like the ball will fall off your hand during your backswing? My advice, find the best pro shop in your area and have them check your span and grip. My guess is they need to be adjusted and once you have a better grip, the 15lb would be more comfortable and you'll be able to stay behind the ball better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    This may be a stupid question but what is universal drilling? Do you mean because it has inserts and a thumb slug? I would think it would only be universal for someone with a similar span because inserts can be changed am I right? Or are you talking about something else?
    I meant universal as in it’s like a standard drilling lay out for a right handed bowler. If you needed the span to be longer then just buy the inner mold and have a PSO still it to your comfort + you could switch out the inners with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    There looks to be a gap of space where the back of your thumb is, to me that's way too big. There should be almost no space and the thumb should be snug. Beginners usually end up with thumb holes way too big because of the transition from house balls where the holes are enormous and you get into the habit of squeezing. Then when they get their own ball, they always think the thumbhole is too small and they keep getting enlarged because they are squeezing. Also your span looks a little short to me. Too much space between your palm and the ball.

In your most relaxed grip, do you feel like the ball will fall off your hand during your backswing? My advice, find the best pro shop in your area and have them check your span and grip. My guess is they need to be adjusted and once you have a better grip, the 15lb would be more comfortable and you'll be able to stay behind the ball better.
    Yeah I think so! When my hand is falling back down from gravity I have the tendency to just bend my thumb to prevent it from falling out. I actually went and talked to my PSO today! He check my span and sure enough it was short. He showed me a ball and asked me to swing it and it was somewhat perfect... I couldn’t bend my thumb since my span was long. It felt nice not perfect but nice. I was swinging a 16 pound Rhino and it felt lighter than my 15 pound Lock due to the longer span. So I’m going to have to sell my Snap Lock... since he told me that he won’t be able to fix the interchangeable thumb since he doesn’t have the tools to do so. What do you think about this... should I buy a bowling ball from his shop. There’s one priced at $209 with free drilling included or do I buy one online? It’s priced $125 online. Drilling is $30, inserts are $12 and a slug is $15. I think he includes taxes as well...

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    Yeah I think so! When my hand is falling back down from gravity I have the tendency to just bend my thumb to prevent it from falling out. I actually went and talked to my PSO today! He check my span and sure enough it was short. He showed me a ball and asked me to swing it and it was somewhat perfect... I couldn’t bend my thumb since my span was long. It felt nice not perfect but nice. I was swinging a 16 pound Rhino and it felt lighter than my 15 pound Lock due to the longer span. So I’m going to have to sell my Snap Lock... since he told me that he won’t be able to fix the interchangeable thumb since he doesn’t have the tools to do so. What do you think about this... should I buy a bowling ball from his shop. There’s one priced at $209 with free drilling included or do I buy one online? It’s priced $125 online. Drilling is $30, inserts are $12 and a slug is $15. I think he includes taxes as well...
    In my opinion $27 isn't to much to support your local shop even less if he's including taxes if you trust the PSO but that's just me. What ball are you looking at?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowler

Who drilled your first ball incorrectly?

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    In my opinion $27 isn't to much to support your local shop even less if he's including taxes if you trust the PSO but that's just me. What ball are you looking at?
    So would you recommend me buying a ball online then? Honestly the Brunswick Black Quantum, he said that thatll be good in our lanes + he recommended me buying entry level bowling balls that are pearlized + he told me that he has a roto grip hot cell that he could plug + drill for $100 bucks supposedly only bowled 20 games with that I could use for spares + dry lanes. I could go with a honey badger down the line. I don’t know... I need help. Should I switch brands? I’ve had been with Storm for 2~ years now. I’ve heard people say just stick to a particular brand.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Who drilled your first ball incorrectly?
    He had drilled my Snap Lock, but I went to another PSO in another city and I asked him if he could install an interchangeable thumb. That was my fault.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    So would you recommend me buying a ball online then? Honestly the Brunswick Black Quantum, he said that thatll be good in our lanes + he recommended me buying entry level bowling balls that are pearlized + he told me that he has a roto grip hot cell that he could plug + drill for $100 bucks supposedly only bowled 20 games with that I could use for spares + dry lanes. I could go with a honey badger down the line. I don’t know... I need help. Should I switch brands? I’ve had been with Storm for 2~ years now. I’ve heard people say just stick to a particular brand.
    I would not purchase a hot cell as a spare ball. The Hot cell has an asymmetric core and has a large backend reaction if you have much hand at all it's not your average urethane ball. I really wouldn't say the quantum is a entry level ball but it would be fine. Doesn't sound like your saving much buying online I'd probably give my business to the proshop but that's just me. I tend to buy my cleaners, pads, tape things like that online and buy my balls from my local PSO.

Brand is more a personal thing than anything I tend towards Brunswick equipment mainly because I have friends who are staffers for them. I do think it's somewhat easier building an arsenal from one family of brands than splitting it up between multiples but that's a small benefit at best and only a consideration if your planning a larger arsenal.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Cranker

Right now, all brands make good bowling balls so brands is really just a personal preference. I recently decided to go all Radical and the reason for that I just feel they support their bowlers the best. They have a Facebook page for Radical Fans and the owner and the designer of the bowling balls are always on there answering questions. My last 3 bowling balls I bought were Radical and I asked Mo Pinel the designer of the balls how to lay them out.

Cranker

If your local PSO isn't willing to watch you bowl and get your personal PAP, I honestly don't think he's a great PSO.

My advice, use this link and find an IBSIA certified pro shop in your area. Even if the place is a ways away, a good pro shop is worth it. Just make an appointment with them

http://www.ibpsia.com/go/find_shop

Insist on them finding your PAP and have them redo your grip. Including thumbhole size and pitches. I would also drop the sarge easter grip since its supposed to reduce your rev rate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast