Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help + Advice 2!

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Not sure I’d trust a PSO to drill my ball that recommends a hot cell as a spare tbh. And if he originally drilled it adding a switch grip shouldn’t have made the span shorter. Or was it drilled conventional(not fingertip) originally?

If I was you, I would take his offer on the hot cell because once you start getting the hang of things you’ll need a ball like that and that is a good price. I would compliment that by ordering of the middle of the road balls that Jaxbowling (that’s his user handle on this board) is selling. Check out the marketplace section on this board it’s the first thread.

I am going to get the yeah baby and make that my middle of the road ball. Only thing I am waiting on is deciding what weight I want to go with going forward. Going to take lessons to help figure that part out.

Out of pocket you’d be $100 for the hot cell and under $100 for one of balls Jax is selling ($35 + shipping plus your PSOs cost to drill). That’s a solid beginning arsenal for the same price as having 1 new one from him.

For spare balls I imagine he can order you a plastic ball from any number of brands. Should be about $80 after drilling. If the price isn’t right on his end just order any number of ones online. Bowlingball.com has several for like $40. Just add some cleaner to get over the free shipping threshold. You’d have everything you need for under $300.

Are you sure you have no access to any coaches? No high school teams in the area? I’m going to be starting lessons with a coach from the community college nearby for $20 bucks per lesson, bowling included. It’ll save money in the long run when you consider I’ll have the right equipment, and I’ll start winning more league pots.

Good luck!

High Roller

I buy balls from the local shop. They will be drilling it anyway and if I want their help then I should be supporting them. Besides, My PSO charges $50 to drill and install inserts. I paid $160 out the door for my Black Widow Gold. The cheapest I found it online was about $130 so I saved money buying from my PSO. I just had him order me a spare ball because he didn't have anything in stock. He had high end reactive balls and a few 10 and 12lb balls. My new BWG has big back end and while I am fine covering most spares, the 7 is nearly impossible with that ball (lefty here).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    If your local PSO isn't willing to watch you bowl and get your personal PAP, I honestly don't think he's a great PSO.

My advice, use this link and find an IBSIA certified pro shop in your area. Even if the place is a ways away, a good pro shop is worth it. Just make an appointment with them

http://www.ibpsia.com/go/find_shop

Insist on them finding your PAP and have them redo your grip. Including thumbhole size and pitches. I would also drop the sarge easter grip since its supposed to reduce your rev rate.
    Yeah that’ll probably be the best thing right?:/

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Not sure I’d trust a PSO to drill my ball that recommends a hot cell as a spare tbh. And if he originally drilled it adding a switch grip shouldn’t have made the span shorter. Or was it drilled conventional(not fingertip) originally?

If I was you, I would take his offer on the hot cell because once you start getting the hang of things you’ll need a ball like that and that is a good price. I would compliment that by ordering of the middle of the road balls that Jaxbowling (that’s his user handle on this board) is selling. Check out the marketplace section on this board it’s the first thread.

I am going to get the yeah baby and make that my middle of the road ball. Only thing I am waiting on is deciding what weight I want to go with going forward. Going to take lessons to help figure that part out.

Out of pocket you’d be $100 for the hot cell and under $100 for one of balls Jax is selling ($35 + shipping plus your PSOs cost to drill). That’s a solid beginning arsenal for the same price as having 1 new one from him.

For spare balls I imagine he can order you a plastic ball from any number of brands. Should be about $80 after drilling. If the price isn’t right on his end just order any number of ones online. Bowlingball.com has several for like $40. Just add some cleaner to get over the free shipping threshold. You’d have everything you need for under $300.

Are you sure you have no access to any coaches? No high school teams in the area? I’m going to be starting lessons with a coach from the community college nearby for $20 bucks per lesson, bowling included. It’ll save money in the long run when you consider I’ll have the right equipment, and I’ll start winning more league pots.

Good luck!
    Oh okay. Yeah I promise you we don’t have any coaches here. I’d have to drive far for one!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I buy balls from the local shop. They will be drilling it anyway and if I want their help then I should be supporting them. Besides, My PSO charges $50 to drill and install inserts. I paid $160 out the door for my Black Widow Gold. The cheapest I found it online was about $130 so I saved money buying from my PSO. I just had him order me a spare ball because he didn't have anything in stock. He had high end reactive balls and a few 10 and 12lb balls. My new BWG has big back end and while I am fine covering most spares, the 7 is nearly impossible with that ball (lefty here).
    Oh okay thank you for the information. The thing is with the bowling ball that’ll I’ll be getting, I’ll be spending 230 with my PSO as compared to 180~ buying it online + getting to drilled with inserts and slug. I’m tight on money right now sadly

Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    Oh okay. Yeah I promise you we don’t have any coaches here. I’d have to drive far for one!
    So let me get this straight... you're willing to spend $230 for a bowling ball, but you won't "drive far" to get help in what you're doing? Sure, why not? Just spend a bunch of bucks for a ball that you don't know how to use. Makes perfect sense to me!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    So let me get this straight... you're willing to spend $230 for a bowling ball, but you won't "drive far" to get help in what you're doing? Sure, why not? Just spend a bunch of bucks for a ball that you don't know how to use. Makes perfect sense to me!
    Okay sure just drive 2.5 hours to a city to find a coach who will charge you 30-50 dollars an hour and just drive another 2.5 hours to get back home?? Who said I’m willing to spend 230? I’d be spending 150-200~ maybe more every week to two weeks if I did that. Don’t be rude.

Cranker

Okay sure just drive 2.5 hours to a city to find a coach who will charge you 30-50 dollars an hour and just drive another 2.5 hours to get back home?? Who said I’m willing to spend 230? I’d be spending 150-200~ maybe more every week to two weeks if I did that. Don’t be rude.
    Just out of curiosity, where in Tx are you? Have you tried looking for a coach on the bowl.com find a coach page?

https://webapps.bowl.com/USBCFindA/Home/Coach

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where in Tx are you? Have you tried looking for a coach on the bowl.com find a coach page?

https://webapps.bowl.com/USBCFindA/Home/Coach
    Laredo Tx. The nearest would be San Antonio or Corpus Christi

Verbal irony is an acceptable device in the English language. It was not my intention to be rude. I know people who regularly drive 3+ hours to bowl in a particular league. 2 1/2 to get some much needed advice doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast