Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help + Advice 2!

Default Need Help + Advice 2!

Hey everyone! This is just a video of me bowling today at the local alley! I bowled 4 games (115,148,154,135) on a typical house shot + our alley was a bit on the dry side today. The video is from the last game. I bowl with a Snap Lock (15 Lb) and a Brunswick Axis (14 Lb) as my spare ball. The Snap Lock is drilled fingertip while my Axis is drilled sarge easter grip. Anyways, any advice on what I should practice... I think that I tend to tug the ball and its really hard for me to keep my hand behind my ball at the bottom of the swing since my wrists tends to give out and my form is probably off. I'm thinking about probably buying a new bowling ball like the Quantum Black or Hyroad, Magnitude 55, Torrent, Matchup, Joyride etc and deciding whether if i should use a 14 or stick with a 15... Feel free to leave me your thoughts and opinions! I'm really looking forward to hearing from all of you!

This link is a picture of how my Snap Lock and Brunswick Axis are drilled.
    https://imgur.com/a/P1vVw

This is a Youtube Link to the video of me bowling.
    https://youtu.be/4zX9xt1R5fU

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Hard to say from that video. Form doesn't look that bad to me from what I can see. It does look like you are slightly turned and your shoulders look like they stayed turned until your last step. Not sure if that is causing any release issues. Are you hitting your mark consistently? If you watch my video I don't really stay 'behind' the ball on my release. It more or less rolls off my fingertips. I don't cup my hand and cradle the ball if that is what you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTn52BT-XZI&t=24s

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Hard to say from that video. Form doesn't look that bad to me from what I can see. It does look like you are slightly turned and your shoulders look like they stayed turned until your last step. Not sure if that is causing any release issues. Are you hitting your mark consistently? If you watch my video I don't really stay 'behind' the ball on my release. It more or less rolls off my fingertips. I don't cup my hand and cradle the ball if that is what you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTn52BT-XZI&t=24s
    Hmm no... I知 not constantly hitting my mark. I also noticed that I知 bending my thumb at the bottom of my swing. Even just at home and I知 holding at ball at the bottom my thumb is bent and it turns on the side of my thumb. Could my thumb hole be too big or not drilled correctly?

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    Hmm no... I知 not constantly hitting my mark. I also noticed that I知 bending my thumb at the bottom of my swing. Even just at home and I知 holding at ball at the bottom my thumb is bent and it turns on the side of my thumb. Could my thumb hole be too big or not drilled correctly?
    Sounds like it is definitely too big. It should be snug. Try some bowling tape but if you池e able to bend your thumb your span is probably too short

High Roller

yeah, not sure how you are bending your thumb? i have a ball sitting here that the thumbhole is too big and i can't bend it. i can wiggle it but thats about it. have your PSO check it out.

Based on the video you posted, here are a couple of tips for you. First, be sure to maintain your form after you release the ball and continue with your follow through. If you come out of follow through quickly, this typically means your balance is off and it can effect your shot release and ball motion.

Second at the bottom of your arm swing (when your arm, ball and left leg are all lined up with each other) just before your point of release, try to feel the weight of the ball on your finger tips. This may help you to stay behind the ball and improve the rotation on your ball for it finish stronger.

Hope this helps. Good luck and good bowling!

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Sounds like it is definitely too big. It should be snug. Try some bowling tape but if you池e able to bend your thumb your span is probably too short
    Yeah maybe. Check this out this is how my thumb feels inside my bowling ball and this is my span.
    https://imgur.com/a/PNeIw

A beginner bowler with 2 different drilling sounds a terrible plan. Why the 2 different drilling? And why do you think a new ball will help. Ask the people at the counter for a bowling coach. They should have someone they could point you to. the new ball won't help you but a good coach WILL.

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbowlingcoach View Post
    A beginner bowler with 2 different drilling sounds a terrible plan. Why the 2 different drilling? And why do you think a new ball will help. Ask the people at the counter for a bowling coach. They should have someone they could point you to. the new ball won't help you but a good coach WILL.
    I'd consider myself an amateur. Why 2 different drilling... because i was still trying to find a drilling layout that i felt comfortable with 2 years ago. i have a fingertip grip on my Lock because its universal and if i ever had to sell it it would be a quick sell and ultimately i wanted to learn it, play on the inside part of the lane and watch that ball curve. I had gotten my Axis used for $15 and i figured why not plug it and try different a layout.. I haven't bought any other ball ever since then. Why buy a new ball now? Maybe the Lock is too much for our bowling alley or on THS. Our house is on the dryer side of things and its the only bowling alley we have here. If i were to buy a new ball I'd probably drop one pound and get something that's for our drier lanes and stick to finger tip + probably buy a urethane or polyester ball with the same drilling. There aren't any coaches in my area. I'd have to drive for 2.5 hours to meet with one. Its tough when you only have one PSO that doesn't bother watching you bowl to help recommend a layout or any coaches in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    I'd consider myself an amateur. Why 2 different drilling... because i was still trying to find a drilling layout that i felt comfortable with 2 years ago. i have a fingertip grip on my Lock because its universal and if i ever had to sell it it would be a quick sell and ultimately i wanted to learn it, play on the inside part of the lane and watch that ball curve. I had gotten my Axis used for $15 and i figured why not plug it and try different a layout.. I haven't bought any other ball ever since then. Why buy a new ball now? Maybe the Lock is too much for our bowling alley or on THS. Our house is on the dryer side of things and its the only bowling alley we have here. If i were to buy a new ball I'd probably drop one pound and get something that's for our drier lanes and stick to finger tip + probably buy a urethane or polyester ball with the same drilling. There aren't any coaches in my area. I'd have to drive for 2.5 hours to meet with one. Its tough when you only have one PSO that doesn't bother watching you bowl to help recommend a layout or any coaches in the area.
    This may be a stupid question but what is universal drilling? Do you mean because it has inserts and a thumb slug? I would think it would only be universal for someone with a similar span because inserts can be changed am I right? Or are you talking about something else?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast