Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: effect of too small of inserts

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default effect of too small of inserts

So my spare ball I have been using has smaller inserts that are a little snug but not uncomfortable for only a few shots a game. But is there any effect from it? More lift? Anything? Just curious cause I am probably getting another ball tomorrow that I will be using. I know how the current one rolls and it has quite a bit of backend but controllable

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The main problems would be fit issues, like callousing and brusing under the nails. Possible hanging in the holes causing you to hit up on the ball that sort of thing.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

yeah. haven't seen any issues like that. was just curious if it created more lift or revs or anything.

What is Bowling?

A properly fit ball is supposed to be snug, especially new inserts. You should be able to relax your grip more, less pressure/ tension, better release etc.

High Roller

well last night my thumb was a little swollen and it was sticking pretty bad. at the end of the night i told the PSO to get me a new ball so don't have to worry about these inserts anymore...lol

That sounds like me with the blue hammer. He opened up the thumb and apparently still not enough. My thumb got swollen because I bowled games earlier in the day. My AMF ball thumb is perfect, the hammer has never fit properly. I went to throw it and almost went down the lane because it didn't come off my hand at all. I had to set it down on the ball return then pull each finger out of the ball with my left hand just so I can get my thumb out. At this point I'm not gonna bother having him open it up again. The heck with it. I'm just gonna order my first ball of my new 15lb arsenal and just shelf the blue hammer forever.

High Roller

My new Black Widow Gold (BWG) was sticking a little too but not nearly as bad. When I picked it up the PSO asked me how if felt and I told him the thumb was a little tight so he used his hole sander and opened it up a little until it felt good. It was still a little on the tight side but might need opened up a little more. He is going to use that ball to measure for the new one so while he has it I am going to have him open up that thumb hole a little more. Might have him swap thumb inserts in the Storm Sync too. Seems to be very similar to the BWG as far as reaction but for a few bucks I could have another option in my bag. From what I can tell the biggest difference between those 2 are the Storm is a 16 lb'er...lol. And the span is a little closer than mine by maybe 1/2" or so. I will have to measure them to see. It has a thumb insert so should be a simple swap?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    My new Black Widow Gold (BWG) was sticking a little too but not nearly as bad. When I picked it up the PSO asked me how if felt and I told him the thumb was a little tight so he used his hole sander and opened it up a little until it felt good. It was still a little on the tight side but might need opened up a little more. He is going to use that ball to measure for the new one so while he has it I am going to have him open up that thumb hole a little more. Might have him swap thumb inserts in the Storm Sync too. Seems to be very similar to the BWG as far as reaction but for a few bucks I could have another option in my bag. From what I can tell the biggest difference between those 2 are the Storm is a 16 lb'er...lol. And the span is a little closer than mine by maybe 1/2" or so. I will have to measure them to see. It has a thumb insert so should be a simple swap?
    One thing that any certified coach will tell you is that every ball that you use should be drilled to fit exactly the same. A half inch difference in the span is a big difference. One other thing that most agree on is that throwing the same weight, within a few ounces leads to a more consistent delivery.
    John

Chats: 32

Yes pick a weight and span and stick to it don't be switching back and forth. As far as thumb fit goes always have the thumb drilled big enough that you can get at least 2 or 3 pieces of tape in the ball. then remove or add as needed most peoples thumbs aren't constant the same size. learn to pay attention to the feel and add and remove as needed.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

Good to note on the grip and weight. I just figured for a few $ I could have an extra ball in the bag but with it having very similar reaction to my primary I doubt I would use it much. As for my thumbhole? I doubt I could get any tape in there even on a good day when it isn't sticking. I have never used tape but have never had a problem. I know a trick I was told years ago was to wrap your thumb in newspaper between shots to keep it from swelling. No idea why but I never had a problem when using this method but could have been the placebo effect...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast