Thread: Question about forward pitch: How far is too far?

Default Question about forward pitch: How far is too far?

Before I commit to changing by bowling style (I love bowling without using my thumb), I wanted to talk to the folks at the pro shop about getting my pitch changed. With my thumb in, I am having trouble staying behind the ball at the bottom of my release so, too often, I end up dropping the ball at the line. (As an aside, I also have to work really hard to back off my ball speed so, there are times when my ball flies down the right side of the lane. Not a pretty sight.)

So, I am considering having my thumb plugged and redrilled to add more forward (and possibly some) lateral pitch. Obviously, I will talk to the PSO about how much but, I was wondering what a typical range for this would be. For example, is a half-inch considered a huge adjustment?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

Chats: 32

1/2 inch is a lot. Usually this is done in 1/8 adjustments. You don't usually have to plug the hole just have them slug the ball and drill the new thumb hole with the adjustments. I would suggest making moves not larger than 1/4 inch and do the forward and lateral separately. If you do both at the same time how do you know which was the improvement? slugging and redrilling the thumb should be pretty cheap. Around $10 dollars here. If I was doing something like this where I wanted to experiment the PSO would probably charge me $25 and redo it until I was happy.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

JP, I'd suggest that you work with a bowling coach in your area to determine what is causing your issues. On the other hand, I've done what Amyers suggests regarding moving the thumb hole pitch forward. I had my hand checked and the fellow was surprised that my thumb was so much forward already! He suggested moving only slightly more and changing my finger pitches reverse as my flexibility has changed with age and nothing to do with my thumb pitch. Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    JP, I'd suggest that you work with a bowling coach in your area to determine what is causing your issues. On the other hand, I've done what Amyers suggests regarding moving the thumb hole pitch forward. I had my hand checked and the fellow was surprised that my thumb was so much forward already! He suggested moving only slightly more and changing my finger pitches reverse as my flexibility has changed with age and nothing to do with my thumb pitch. Good luck...
    I appreciate the feedback on this. It's actually funny that you mentioned this. The guy who's coaching me also works at the pro shop I go to. He suggested that, for the first 6 months, I just hold off on making any pitch changes and, in the short term, just work staying behind the ball more. Instead, he just opened my thumb hole up a little more and sent me on my way (LOL). So, for now, no changes and back to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    1/2 inch is a lot. Usually this is done in 1/8 adjustments. You don't usually have to plug the hole just have them slug the ball and drill the new thumb hole with the adjustments. I would suggest making moves not larger than 1/4 inch and do the forward and lateral separately. If you do both at the same time how do you know which was the improvement? slugging and redrilling the thumb should be pretty cheap. Around $10 dollars here. If I was doing something like this where I wanted to experiment the PSO would probably charge me $25 and redo it until I was happy.
    This is good to know. I'll keep this one in the back pocket should I need to do this in the future. Thanks!