Thread: Speed Control

Default Speed Control

Hello All,

I have seen many posts about increasing ball speed, but I have a problem with what most would want is too much speed. My release and ball reaction handle the speed very well, but on thicker conditions, a slower ball speed is and may be necessary. I already stand at the front dots and have worked tirelessly on the speed of my feet, but I am still averaging 17mph on every shot. I know a good handle on ball speed is to get it between 2mph between top and bottom-line ball speed, 15-17mph.

One of the things I am thinking is I am pulling the ball down at the top of my back swing instead of allowing the ball to come down on its own. Are there any recommendations to help practice with this off the lanes? I already practice this on the lanes, but to help drill it in my mind, I was curious if others have practiced this at home with certain things. It is difficult to find a 8-10lb weight in a ball shape.

Thank you,

Mike

Chats: 32

Rather than trying to decrease your ball speed why not just throw a stronger ball and add surface?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller
    Chats: 0

What weight ball are you using? I see you mentioned an 8-10lb weight? The ball may be too light. I noticed I pick up about 2 MPH going from a 16 to a 14. What is your rough size? I read on here a ballpark is the ball should be at least about 10% of your body weight, up to a 16 lb'r?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Move closer to the foul line and take shorter steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Rather than trying to decrease your ball speed why not just throw a stronger ball and add surface?

Sometimes most people don't have the luxury of having more than 4 balls. and like most who only have 4, each ball is tailored to a specific pattern (heavy, medium, light) and do not have the luxury of having on site equipment to adjust surface. Which brings me back to the technique portion, if you can adjust your ball speed with footing and swing allow, it allows the bowler to be more versatile on the lanes.

Thank you for your feedback though! Good Bowling!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    What weight ball are you using? I see you mentioned an 8-10lb weight? The ball may be too light. I noticed I pick up about 2 MPH going from a 16 to a 14. What is your rough size? I read on here a ballpark is the ball should be at least about 10% of your body weight, up to a 16 lb'r?
    I am using a 15lb ball. Been using that weight since 10/12 years old (21/22 years). Never considered moving up in weight, but my reasoning behind 8-10lb weights is to when mentally/practicing the motions at home. I have seen recommendations in bowlers academy videos and others to use a weight ball to grasp in your hand to train the mind when practicing your swing. Practicing with no weight is far different than practicing with some weight in your hand; reasoning behind that is to help train the mind to allow gravity to pull the ball down, rather than pulling the ball down at the top of your swing. Pulling the ball down can cause inaccuracy, pulling to the left (right hand bowlers), and/or pushing the ball too far right.

Reasoning for the post is to get a consensus of what everyone's thoughts are and to put the best foot forward on practicing. Took 4 years off and this is my first year back! Cannot complain considering the amount of practice I have put forth, my current average, and 1 honor score and 793 high series this year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Move closer to the foul line and take shorter steps.
    Thank you for the post back! Last night was definitely a night I focused a lot on my footing and taking shorter steps. Definitely a work in progress as I was still averaging 17.5/18.5mph on the lanes. Definitely will update everyone, if interested, as the weeks go by.

Thank you again!

Mike

Chats: 32

I know everyone cant just run out purchase another ball but in the modern game speed is life. You can easily change the surface on the lanes during practice time just get some abarlon pads and hit the ball during warm ups. Trying to change your speed significantly is likely to create timing issues and most players that attempt to slow the speed down have a tendency to also rev the ball less causing reduced carry and other issues.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Hold the ball lower in your setup as you move up on the approach . Then don't help the ball up in the backswing, a lower backswing with slower feet should help.