Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another way to tell your lanes need to be oiled

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Phonetek it's not what your saying it's, It's how your saying it.

Saying Out of ranges are another way to tell your lanes need to be oiled isn't exactly accurate, It's more another way to tell your lanes need to be stripped.

You can have out of ranges and the lanes have been freshly oiled. A lot of houses do what's called "Headshots", which is where they don't strip the lanes and only oil the heads. In that case you have fresh oil, but with dirty backends with oily pindecks.

So saying out of ranges mean you need to oil can give the wrong impression.

Now there are many different oiling machines that may work differently than ours. There are some out there that don't even require anyone to operate, they are completely automatic and move lane to lane by themselves.
    Yes lane machines today are something, they can be set to strip&oil or just oil or just strip. (Because there are times when you just want to do one or the other. Say you want to do a double or triple strip before oil or you could set the machine to double strip just the backend etc.)

and also you have machines like the Kegel Flex which can put down two totally different kinds of oil on different parts of the lane.

Tell me how many lanes do you burn before oiling?

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Phonetek it's not what your saying it's, It's how your saying it.

Saying Out of ranges are another way to tell your lanes need to be oiled isn't exactly accurate, It's more another way to tell your lanes need to be stripped.

You can have out of ranges and the lanes have been freshly oiled. A lot of houses do what's called "Headshots", which is where they don't strip the lanes and only oil the heads. In that case you have fresh oil, but with dirty backends with oily pindecks.

So saying out of ranges mean you need to oil can give the wrong impression.

Yes lane machines today are something, they can be set to strip&oil or just oil or just strip. (Because there are times when you just want to do one or the other. Say you want to do a double or triple strip before oil or you could set the machine to double strip just the backend etc.)

and also you have machines like the Kegel Flex which can put down two totally different kinds of oil on different parts of the lane.

Tell me how many lanes do you burn before oiling?
    Bowl nailed it as usual. Excessive out of ranges and pins sliding on the deck are more often than not caused oil on the pin deck. Around here at least it's more of a sign of the lane machine working improperly as they aren't removing the oil than it necessarily is of the lanes needing oil.
    Last edited by Amyers; 02-28-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Well I find it interesting learning about how things work. Don't know that I NEED to know when a lane needs re-oiled since I have no control over when it gets done but interesting to learn these little things. When somebody comes on here and jumps down your throat for being wrong it makes you not want to post here anymore. I was told by Rob a few weeks ago that I don't know anything about bowling balls, which I have alluded to here already. The whole reason I came here was to learn about them. I don't come here to be blasted for posting a question. I specifically started a thread asking about bowling balls and drilling and this was your response Rob "Yes, it indicates the weight block or something. Hopefully you have a good PSO, cause you seriously need lots of help... and someone to explain bowling balls to you. "

This was just a few days after I joined here but I blew it off. Not a very good way to welcome new members to the site but hey, I'm a new member here so what do I know. I do know I came here to share my joy of the game and to learn, not be berated for not knowing everything. Maybe this is the wrong site for me?
    Don't take it personally Rob's a good guy he tends to be a bit on the upfront side sometimes. In his defense sometimes you have to be that way on here as if you phrase it nicer not making the point as strongly people tend to ignore it and go on believing what they will.

Current arsenal

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I never get confused by those long post because over a short paragraph I just skip. You should be able to get your point across with out running on and on.

Does your machine strip the back ends every day?
    Yes it does.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I never get confused by those long post because over a short paragraph I just skip. You should be able to get your point across with out running on and on.
    Which is why it's particularly important to use short paragraphs on internet forum post's, people hate reading walls of text (tl;dr :"Too long; didn't read." posts.). When people see a block of text, even a relatively short block, it looks daunting and they start skimming.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Well I find it interesting learning about how things work. Don't know that I NEED to know when a lane needs re-oiled since I have no control over when it gets done but interesting to learn these little things. When somebody comes on here and jumps down your throat for being wrong it makes you not want to post here anymore. I was told by Rob a few weeks ago that I don't know anything about bowling balls, which I have alluded to here already. The whole reason I came here was to learn about them. I don't come here to be blasted for posting a question. I specifically started a thread asking about bowling balls and drilling and this was your response Rob "Yes, it indicates the weight block or something. Hopefully you have a good PSO, cause you seriously need lots of help... and someone to explain bowling balls to you. "

This was just a few days after I joined here but I blew it off. Not a very good way to welcome new members to the site but hey, I'm a new member here so what do I know. I do know I came here to share my joy of the game and to learn, not be berated for not knowing everything. Maybe this is the wrong site for me?
    The thing that you need to understand about this site and others like it is that there are bowlers with widely varying spheres of knowledge and experience that post here. There are a few; bowl1820, amyers, j anderson, and VdubTX are some that come to mind who understand quite a bit about the game. There are many more who don't. In my own case, my name is Rob Mautner. I am a Silver Level Coach and a long time PBA member. I have been included in the Bowler's Journal List of the top 100 Coaches world-wide. In the past decade I have written nearly 100 articles for Bowling This Month. If I sometimes show my frustrations, I certainly apologize. I hope that you can understand the frustrations that many of us feel when we say the same things over and over and over again (I have a knot on my forehead from beating my head against a wall from hearing bowlers continue to talk about carry down so many years after it stopped being a factor). If you cannot understand this and accept my apology then, yes, maybe it is the wrong site for you.

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The thing that you need to understand about this site and others like it is that there are bowlers with widely varying spheres of knowledge and experience that post here. There are a few; bowl1820, amyers, j anderson, and VdubTX are some that come to mind who understand quite a bit about the game. There are many more who don't. In my own case, my name is Rob Mautner. I am a Silver Level Coach and a long time PBA member. I have been included in the Bowler's Journal List of the top 100 Coaches world-wide. In the past decade I have written nearly 100 articles for Bowling This Month. If I sometimes show my frustrations, I certainly apologize. I hope that you can understand the frustrations that many of us feel when we say the same things over and over and over again (I have a knot on my forehead from beating my head against a wall from hearing bowlers continue to talk about carry down so many years after it stopped being a factor). If you cannot understand this and accept my apology then, yes, maybe it is the wrong site for you.
    To be clear - it’s not a factor only if the majority of balls being rolled aren’t plastic right? I would say the houses I go to are still about 70/30 split of straight ballers using house balls. But if you’re are stripping regularly - all patterns are the same # of units of oil right?

I was watching them do the lanes at the house where my league is. They were only running the machine the length of the pattern and not stripping the full length. I tried pointing that out but got shooed away by an “expert”

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    To be clear - it’s not a factor only if the majority of balls being rolled aren’t plastic right? I would say the houses I go to are still about 70/30 split of straight ballers using house balls. But if you’re are stripping regularly - all patterns are the same # of units of oil right?

I was watching them do the lanes at the house where my league is. They were only running the machine the length of the pattern and not stripping the full length. I tried pointing that out but got shooed away by an “expert”
    That's a high number for league bowlers or are you referring to open bowling here? At least here seeing a league bowler throwing a house ball is unusual at best.

Them amount of oil being used for house patterns is a little different everywhere you go even the length of the patterns are different.

Not all houses strip before laying down the pattern. I bowl at one house that reoils over the existing pattern for their league that night can be real interesting if they had a sport shot out the night before but this type of thing can lead to dirty pin decks and low scores on near impossible conditions lol.

Current arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post

A couple of points here. First, many houses, including the one where I usually bowl, don't oil the entire lane before evening leagues. They do what is called a "head run" which just puts out oil for the first 25 or 30 feet of the pattern to compensate for usage during the day. This is the primary reason that I now bowl in daytime leagues. A head run is not an oil "pattern," and, depending on what went on during the day, may be close to impossible to overcome. During the last nighttime league that I bowled in this house, I had back-to-back weeks of 480-690 and bowled well both weeks.

Secondly, the thing that most bowlers don't understand is that while plastic balls do carry oil down the lanes, they are also the only balls that read the carry down in all but the most unique circumstances. I will tell you that, since my back has decided to fall apart on me, I have been throwing plastic exclusively for about 6 months now. Even though my ball will carry oil down the lane, I can honestly say that I have only had to move right once or twice in over 50 league sets. When balls start to straighten out, it is either because they are burning up and losing energy, or because oil movement has exposed an area of negative topography that is keeping the ball from hooking.

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    That's a high number for league bowlers or are you referring to open bowling here? At least here seeing a league bowler throwing a house ball is unusual at best.

Them amount of oil being used for house patterns is a little different everywhere you go even the length of the patterns are different.

Not all houses strip before laying down the pattern. I bowl at one house that reoils over the existing pattern for their league that night can be real interesting if they had a sport shot out the night before but this type of thing can lead to dirty pin decks and low scores on near impossible conditions lol.
    I meant open. But I still don’t encounter that oddity at well run houses. I believe my league just gets the head runs which it doesn’t need. I wish they would understand that their lanes break all the time because they are not stripping. I had to use two towels just for 3 games last week. Each game was enough for monster tac to remove a black filth

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast