Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another way to tell your lanes need to be oiled

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    A couple of points here. First, many houses, including the one where I usually bowl, don't oil the entire lane before evening leagues. They do what is called a "head run" which just puts out oil for the first 25 or 30 feet of the pattern to compensate for usage during the day. This is the primary reason that I now bowl in daytime leagues. A head run is not an oil "pattern," and, depending on what went on during the day, may be close to impossible to overcome. During the last nighttime league that I bowled in this house, I had back-to-back weeks of 480-690 and bowled well both weeks.

Secondly, the thing that most bowlers don't understand is that while plastic balls do carry oil down the lanes, they are also the only balls that read the carry down in all but the most unique circumstances. I will tell you that, since my back has decided to fall apart on me, I have been throwing plastic exclusively for about 6 months now. Even though my ball will carry oil down the lane, I can honestly say that I have only had to move right once or twice in over 50 league sets. When balls start to straighten out, it is either because they are burning up and losing energy, or because oil movement has exposed an area of negative topography that is keeping the ball from hooking.
    Thanks for the clarification. That means they are likely just doing head runs, which makes even less sense because the alley is closed from Monday until we bowl on Thursday night. So they are essentially just tossing oil on dirty lanes from the weekend

A couple of points here. First, many houses, including the one where I usually bowl, don't oil the entire lane before evening leagues. They do what is called a "head run" which just puts out oil for the first 25 or 30 feet of the pattern to compensate for usage during the day. This is the primary reason that I now bowl in daytime leagues. A head run is not an oil "pattern," and, depending on what went on during the day, may be close to impossible to overcome. During the last nighttime league that I bowled in this house, I had back-to-back weeks of 480-690 and bowled well both weeks.

Secondly, the thing that most bowlers don't understand is that while plastic balls do carry oil down the lanes, they are also the only balls that read the carry down in all but the most unique circumstances. I will tell you that, since my back has decided to fall apart on me, I have been throwing plastic exclusively for about 6 months now. Even though my ball will carry oil down the lane, I can honestly say that I have only had to move right once or twice in over 50 league sets. When balls start to straighten out, it is either because they are burning up and losing energy, or because oil movement has exposed an area of negative topography that is keeping the ball from hooking.
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that when we oil daily it's stripped all the way down but at the same time it's oiled 42'. When the machine turns back it's strips the heads again then once it passes the heads stops cleaning and oils again from 42' back to the approach. I made sure to pay very close attention to what the machine was doing today when I oiled before I left for the day so I can answer this properly. The pattern doesn't vary day to day or by time of day. Once in a while they said they change the pattern but when they do it stays that way for how ever many months. The current pattern is as I said 42' THS Christmas tree pattern. The mechanic was not in today to ask just how much oil it puts down in that 42' but I will ask when I see him next.

As far as people using house balls. I would have to say that so far between the open bowlers, leagues and parties that 95% of people use house balls. Of the 5% that don't 2% use urethane or reactive and the rest plastic. Understand, Where I work is a bar with a bowling alley not a bowling alley with a bar which I'm having a hard time getting used to. It's basically "Cheers" with lanes and Norm and Cliff only bowl because Carla said so. There are barely enough serious or even decent bowlers to count on two hands thus far maybe less. I've only seen a two 200+ (207 & 211) games so far which were both last night from the patrons and a LOT more under 100. Mystery pot last night was won with an 83 if that tells you anything. And that was their "Good" league.

Lastly I do want to apologize for any misunderstanding I may have caused here, if I am wrong I have no problem admitting it. I also have no hard feelings toward Rob nor Bowl for setting me straight. Perhaps it could have been done with a little more tact maybe even in PM but I certainly understand your frustration. The fact that you get frustrated tells me you love both the game and this forum so I respect that. In the future I will choose my words more carefully when trying to pass on any of my newly found knowledge. Lets move on from this point and put this behind us.

High Roller

The thing that you need to understand about this site and others like it is that there are bowlers with widely varying spheres of knowledge and experience that post here. There are a few; bowl1820, amyers, j anderson, and VdubTX are some that come to mind who understand quite a bit about the game. There are many more who don't. In my own case, my name is Rob Mautner. I am a Silver Level Coach and a long time PBA member. I have been included in the Bowler's Journal List of the top 100 Coaches world-wide. In the past decade I have written nearly 100 articles for Bowling This Month. If I sometimes show my frustrations, I certainly apologize. I hope that you can understand the frustrations that many of us feel when we say the same things over and over and over again (I have a knot on my forehead from beating my head against a wall from hearing bowlers continue to talk about carry down so many years after it stopped being a factor). If you cannot understand this and accept my apology then, yes, maybe it is the wrong site for you.
    It is what it is. I appreciate the level of knowledge here and in the end that is why I am here. When I left bowling 15 years ago we didn't have sites like this or even Google. We were on our own to figure things out. I did have Mark Roth to lean on for a short time but he was busy with other things and I didn't like bothering him. As for my post about a ball a few weeks ago the last new ball I bought was about 1990 (Brunswick Cobalt Rhino) and nobody talked about PAP or CG. All I knew was the PSO measured my fingers and span and drilled it in line with the logo. Now reading all this stuff about ball technology piqued my interest and I wanted to learn, hence my question. I never questioned your credentials or achievements but that wasn't the point. I would have been just as frustrated if Pete Weber had responded that way. I understand your frustration too. I am on several forums for different hobbies or professions and see exactly what you were saying. People come in and ask a question and gets an answer then 6 months later complains about the very thing they asked about initially and didn't follow the advice. But when a new member comes in you have to treat them as such and not assume they will do the same as some of the others.

Either way, moving on from this as I am here to get better and learn. I'm still about 30 pins lower than I was 15 years ago and struggling to get my old form back. Part of that just being practice and probably partially just being 15 years older. I'm sure I will have more questions as we go but I am the type that will listen. Why ask if you aren't going to heed the advice given?

I forgot to mention, I did check what brand oiler we have and it is a Kegel but not the Flex. Now I can't remember the name but it is a Kegel. I need to just start taking pictures with my phone so I don't have to try to remember. Also, I didn't get to take the video of the pinsetter today I wasn't working in the back. I'm off until Saturday unless they call but I'll be there with my son bowling with his new ball. PSO called and it's already done. I'm sure I can run back there to take the video I promised, I think the mechanic will be in tomorrow too. I can ask him some questions.

Bowler

Here’s a question I have though - what’s the best approach when faced with these conditions (of oil under the pins)? Just throw something as hard as you can at em, entry angle be damned?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Here’s a question I have though - what’s the best approach when faced with these conditions (of oil under the pins)? Just throw something as hard as you can at em, entry angle be damned?
    That's never the answer lol. There's not much you can do about that just realize you may have a pin standing you might not have it's also possible a pin hit's another an knocks it down when it wouldn't have. We always remember the ones we got unlucky on the lucky ones are quickly forgotten. There's not an adjustment to make for this condition just remember part of the game is luck too. It's totally possible to throw the ball well and have a sub par series happened to me last night.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I always look forward to league sessions on a particularly tough pair of lanes; on tough lanes the best spare shooters with the most patience win. Since I'm using plastic exclusively, on an easy pair against halfway decent bowlers, I'm going to lose. On a tough pair, however, I'll win nine times out of ten. Two days ago we bowled on a pair that was virtually impossible. I was only able to throw eight strikes in three games. The good news is that after losing the first game by five pins on a fluke double by the other anchor man, we blew the other team out of the water on the other two games and totals. My 532 (168-173-191) was mediocre at best, but it was the highest on the pair and only one of two 500 sets on the pair (503 was the other). Winning is, after all, the goal. Isn't it?

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    That's never the answer lol. There's not much you can do about that just realize you may have a pin standing you might not have it's also possible a pin hit's another an knocks it down when it wouldn't have. We always remember the ones we got unlucky on the lucky ones are quickly forgotten. There's not an adjustment to make for this condition just remember part of the game is luck too. It's totally possible to throw the ball well and have a sub par series happened to me last night.
    So true. There will hardly ever be a night where every circumstance or variance on a lane can be accounted for. Take the good with the bad and always try to do your best.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Pin Crusher

If your bowlers are not happy call a board of directors meeting and discuss it. If you get a majority of them agreeing that the center isn't fulfilling their end of the contract tell them to get their act together or the league won't be back. The lanes should be cleaned and oiled for all evening leagues. If there are morning leagues before them too. Then again for the night league. Get it in writing. That is why so many centers go out of business, poor service.

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    If your bowlers are not happy call a board of directors meeting and discuss it. If you get a majority of them agreeing that the center isn't fulfilling their end of the contract tell them to get their act together or the league won't be back. The lanes should be cleaned and oiled for all evening leagues. If there are morning leagues before them too. Then again for the night league. Get it in writing. That is why so many centers go out of business, poor service.
    We are the only league at this place. We only do 12 weeks and start at 8 which has hindered us from getting in anywhere else. Most places here require 6 o clock starts and a full season.

And it’s not just small variances. It is so slick at the pins that even when then rest of the lane is dry, you can hit the pocket and have leaves likes 2,4,7,9,10. This is why I was inquiring earlier in the season on The helicopter/ufo style.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast