Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Another way to tell your lanes need to be oiled

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    We are the only league at this place. We only do 12 weeks and start at 8 which has hindered us from getting in anywhere else. Most places here require 6 o clock starts and a full season.

And it’s not just small variances. It is so slick at the pins that even when then rest of the lane is dry, you can hit the pocket and have leaves likes 2,4,7,9,10. This is why I was inquiring earlier in the season on The helicopter/ufo style.
    I don't care how much oil is on the pin deck you can't be in the pocket and have a 2 pin standing. Just because a ball makes contact with the 1 and 3 pins doesn't mean it's in the pocket. Not saying this problem can't cause some weird leaves or that they have proper maintence there.

You might look into seeing if one of the other houses would take your league on as a second shift league or something like that next time
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I don't care how much oil is on the pin deck you can't be in the pocket and have a 2 pin standing. Just because a ball makes contact with the 1 and 3 pins doesn't mean it's in the pocket. Not saying this problem can't cause some weird leaves or that they have proper maintence there.

You might look into seeing if one of the other houses would take your league on as a second shift league or something like that next time
    Haha I used to think the same thing before I bowled here. The pins are retired ones from the AMF up the road so they are pretty water logged or oil logged. The pins will sometimes just fall directly back with no rotation. They’ll nick the correct pin but only cause a circular wobble. Or the two will get hit but just slide into the 5 position (id still call that a 2 leave though, right?)

I’ll take some video tonight. Hopefully I will be able catch one of them. Not sure if this is related or not but I’ve also witnessed strikes on rolls hitting 4-7 at about speeds probably less than 10 mph at least on 3 occasions this year.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Haha I used to think the same thing before I bowled here. The pins are retired ones from the AMF up the road so they are pretty water logged or oil logged. The pins will sometimes just fall directly back with no rotation. They’ll nick the correct pin but only cause a circular wobble. Or the two will get hit but just slide into the 5 position (id still call that a 2 leave though, right?)

I’ll take some video tonight. Hopefully I will be able catch one of them. Not sure if this is related or not but I’ve also witnessed strikes on rolls hitting 4-7 at about speeds probably less than 10 mph at least on 3 occasions this year.
    ah ok now I understand
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

As promised I found out the machine we have is in fact a Kegel machine called the Kustodian Plus. It's not the one you mentioned Bowl820 the Kegel Flex, my guess is that ours is an older model. I'm not sure how old it is but it's in perfect condition.

I wasn't able to talk to the mechanic, he wasn't there tonight. I also wasn't able to get a video of the pinsetters yet. My kids were acting up after we finished bowling so we wanted to get out of there. I'm not sure if we are going there tomorrow to bowl or not. I'm off tomorrow too but I am on call if they need me. Otherwise I'll be working Saturday one way or another so worst comes to worst I'll get it then.

Bowler

Once I saw a footprint on the lane during my league. I cursed at the manager at the desk from 15 lanes away.

SandBagger

Today during league I had two shots which normally would have been perfect strikes but instead one of the pins just slid over into another position when hit. It was a very strange day for carry.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    Once I saw a footprint on the lane during my league. I cursed at the manager at the desk from 15 lanes away.
    That "Shouldn't have" been anyone who works there that did that, if it was then that employee needed a talking to by the boss. Sometimes open bowlers will walk down the lanes to grab a ball that hit the rake that's coming back or a little kids who's ball didn't quite make it down or even a stray pin. They aren't supposed to of course, not everyone reports it to the counter. We don't always see it happen either. When we run down to retrieve a ball or get a pin out of the gutter we walk down the ball return covers.

I'm curious as to what the manager's reply was?

Bowler

He didn't say anything. He knows me he's been working there 30 years and went to school with my sister.The point was even though it's a once a month Saturday league they don't oil right before and put us on lanes 1 to 6 by the door which break down all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    He didn't say anything. He knows me he's been working there 30 years and went to school with my sister.The point was even though it's a once a month Saturday league they don't oil right before and put us on lanes 1 to 6 by the door which break down all the time.
    I don't want to trash talk other houses but they should oil before leagues after open bowlers have been on them all day that's just common courtesy. Unless they are back to back leagues or something we wouldn't oil between. Time wouldn't allow that unless there is large gaps in between. Leagues deserve fresh lanes. Judging by what you say, they don't seem to want to do much to keep their bread and butter happy. If they have footprints on the lanes and poorly maintained machines it sounds like they are sealing their fate. Time to talk to your league president and bring this up to management. If they do nothing then it sounds like a time for a change of houses.

How up to date is the house? What machines and scorers do they use? Do they have improvements scheduled for the summer? If it's old and outdated and everything is maintained poorly they may be buying time, saving money until the leagues end so they can do the improvements. If not, they aren't in it for the long haul and will likely be gone in the next few years anyway if they are treating their leagues like that. I'd at least give them a chance to explain and find out what the story is first but approach with the league president in tow to confront them. If they shrug you off then time to say goodbye, you shouldn't have to put up with that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234