Thread: Sometimes, you just need to retire a ball.

Chats: 10

Default Sometimes, you just need to retire a ball.

I recently got the new Rotogrip Hyper Cell Fused. Prior, my first ball I usually used was the Pit bull by DV8. When I got the Fused, gave me issues deciding what to go with. So I retired the pit bull. Best decsiaions. Since then, been Bowling better. Allowed me to learn what the new ball can do and how to use it. Since, been striking much more. Several high 200 games. Just feels good after the struggle.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 32

Well it maybe the pitbull didn't fit the conditions you were bowling on. If the Fused is working well The lane conditions probably weren't setup well for the pitbull.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Well it maybe the pitbull didn't fit the conditions you were bowling on. If the Fused is working well The lane conditions probably weren't setup well for the pitbull.
    I would say lanes not so much set up for the pitbull, as it just wasn't getting the right look. The fused, being a pearl, is going to push through the oil and have a VERY strong back end reaction. The ball is amazing. The Pitbull however, is 500 grit, soak up every ounce of oil it can kind of ball. For this ball to work well at all, it needs a TON of oil. If it finds any friction, it's just going to burn itself up and have nothing off the end of the pattern. I've noticed a lot of DV8 balls having this very low grit paired with a very aggressive core and I really haven't seen many people have success with them, as they are just burning themselves up OOB. Best option I would have for you, if you would like a good compliment: Keep your Fused OOB, and I'd take that Pitbull up to 2000 or 4000 grit. I think this would work right up your wheel house Blomer
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I would say lanes not so much set up for the pitbull, as it just wasn't getting the right look. The fused, being a pearl, is going to push through the oil and have a VERY strong back end reaction. The ball is amazing. The Pitbull however, is 500 grit, soak up every ounce of oil it can kind of ball. For this ball to work well at all, it needs a TON of oil. If it finds any friction, it's just going to burn itself up and have nothing off the end of the pattern. I've noticed a lot of DV8 balls having this very low grit paired with a very aggressive core and I really haven't seen many people have success with them, as they are just burning themselves up OOB. Best option I would have for you, if you would like a good compliment: Keep your Fused OOB, and I'd take that Pitbull up to 2000 or 4000 grit. I think this would work right up your wheel house Blomer

Hyper Cell Fused is actually a Hybrid. That is the only reason I got it. I didn't need another pearl in my bag. I took the initial factory polish off the ball due to the too sharp of reaction I saw on the lanes and have never looked back. The ball is quite good.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I'm doing this with my Red Hammer Faball. It's nearly 19 years old and it has just been replaced. The red hammer was my strike and spare ball for many years. 3 weeks ago I bought a Hammer Diesel as my strike ball and yesterday I picked up a Storm Pitch Black for a spare ball. Now the Red Hammer will be put away. Gone but not forgotten!