Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How great is your concern on pin placement in a new ball?

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Dumb question; what do you mean when you say it’s “starting to bird’s eye”? I’ve only heard the term used as an adjective, like a bird’s eye view, not as a verb.
    Starting to crack around the fingers in a circular motion. I've always heard it called that, so that's what I've always called it lol. Just some surface cracking around the fingers.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Starting to crack around the fingers in a circular motion. I've always heard it called that, so that's what I've always called it lol. Just some surface cracking around the fingers.
    Well first time I heard that one (as far as I remember), Most times it's referred to as spider cracking / cracks. Just a matter of where you at what things are called.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller
    Chats: 0

My new Black Widow Gold has chipping or peeling started around the finger holes after about 5 weeks. I showed the PSO a couple weeks ago and he said that is normal and usually happens more often on the lanes we were on that night.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    My new Black Widow Gold has chipping or peeling started around the finger holes after about 5 weeks. I showed the PSO a couple weeks ago and he said that is normal and usually happens more often on the lanes we were on that night.
    Say what?? normal??

When he drilled the finger holes did bevel them? what is about those lanes that chips finger holes?

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

High Roller

No idea. and if it is more prevalent on those lanes then it probably isn't normal? He said he had a few in his bag that looked the same and that it was fine and wouldn't get worse. After 2 weeks it hasn't gotten worse. Chipped is probably an exaggeration. It's more of a thin flake that broke off. You can barely feel it with your fingerenail. Still doesn't seem normal though.

Oh, didn't notice any beveling. Seemed to be pretty sharp edges.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Oh, didn't notice any beveling. Seemed to be pretty sharp edges.
    I'm assuming your using grips, One of the main recommendations to help prevent cracking at the holes is to bevel them. Also place the glue farther down in the hole and don't use too much.

High Roller

Yes grips. I think they are Turbo but not sure. They are clear. He installed them so not sure about glue but I did watch him glue them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12