Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How great is your concern on pin placement in a new ball?

Chats: 0

Default How great is your concern on pin placement in a new ball?

When I bought my new Raw Hammer Anger ball around 2007 the pro shop guy gave me a generic location because he didn't see me bowl. I am left handed so my pin was put above my ring finger slightly and off to the side a little. Amazingly it works great for me all of these years. I take care of it always with de-oiling and surface changes. I have been tempted to buy a new ball but this one just keeps working great.

So how concerned are you with a pin location when you get a new ball? Do you just get a generic location or do you request a certain location? Do you have the pro watch you bowl before a decision is made on a location?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Chats: 10

The pin placement will help direct the ball to what you want the ball to do. I generally have my pin placed above ring finger to go longer or I’ll have it kicked out to the right for max hook.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I let the PSO worry about it.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I try to get a basic idea of how I want a ball laid out if that's what you mean and discuss it with the PSO.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 1

I've had my last few balls laid out using the Storm Vector Layout system. It's a spreadsheet that asks the bowler questions about their stats, ball speed, rev rate, axis tilt, and axis rotation. You will then answer questions about the basic oil patterns that you are bowling on, and how you want the ball to react. It will recommend a layout for you. Here's the link if you want to take a look at it. http://www.stormbowling.com/medias/S...tem_legacy.xls
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 2

Myself, I have some guys at Storm that help me out with layout decisions. I mainly stick with a fairly similar layout that I love (5 x 4 x 3) or close to it, and choose surface and core accordingly. However, I just ordered a Drive and going pin under on it to help things out with the wet/dry I've been seeing lately

After throwing a few in front of my PSO, he gave me direction as to where I should stand and aim at. I adjust of course if the lane breaks down but my adjustments are not too major.

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Myself, I have some guys at Storm that help me out with layout decisions. I mainly stick with a fairly similar layout that I love (5 x 4 x 3) or close to it, and choose surface and core accordingly. However, I just ordered a Drive and going pin under on it to help things out with the wet/dry I've been seeing lately
    Let me know how it works....I just picked up a Drive, for the same reason. The PSO and I experimented with pin placement, but is basically pin up. Threw it on some dry spotty open bowling lanes, rolls early, shape reminds me of the Storm Phaze I had a while ago. Carries better than the Phaze. We will see what it does on a fresh shot in my next league. Wanted a different look than the Intense, its that alright, might have to experiment with the cover. Doesn't seem to generate a great deal of angle. I can easily see some corner pins in my future with it. We will see how it acts on the oil, it may be running out of energy because the lanes were so spotty and dry.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Outerlimits View Post
    Let me know how it works....I just picked up a Drive, for the same reason. The PSO and I experimented with pin placement, but is basically pin up. Threw it on some dry spotty open bowling lanes, rolls early, shape reminds me of the Storm Phaze I had a while ago. Carries better than the Phaze. We will see what it does on a fresh shot in my next league. Wanted a different look than the Intense, its that alright, might have to experiment with the cover. Doesn't seem to generate a great deal of angle. I can easily see some corner pins in my future with it. We will see how it acts on the oil, it may be running out of energy because the lanes were so spotty and dry.
    Will do. I'm sure I will post up a review after I get some games on it. Chad McLean is who I go to for any layout ideas. He just got promoted to Storm Technical Manager (fun fact, he also holds like 8 world records involving bowling). He hasn't let me down yet. I'm hoping I get something that's similar to my Phaze II, only smoother. My Phaze II is drilled 5 x 4 x 3 and goes extremely long and is very angular. However, it's starting to bird's eye and has essentially been replaced by my Show Off (which I don't throw very often unless it's needed). I didn't mind my original phaze, but same thing, very angular off of the break point and could only be used on certain occasions where it was called for.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Will do. I'm sure I will post up a review after I get some games on it. Chad McLean is who I go to for any layout ideas. He just got promoted to Storm Technical Manager (fun fact, he also holds like 8 world records involving bowling). He hasn't let me down yet. I'm hoping I get something that's similar to my Phaze II, only smoother. My Phaze II is drilled 5 x 4 x 3 and goes extremely long and is very angular. However, it's starting to bird's eye and has essentially been replaced by my Show Off (which I don't throw very often unless it's needed). I didn't mind my original phaze, but same thing, very angular off of the break point and could only be used on certain occasions where it was called for.
    Dumb question; what do you mean when you say it’s “starting to bird’s eye”? I’ve only heard the term used as an adjective, like a bird’s eye view, not as a verb.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast