Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll finally be able to record some great bowling videos

Chats: 0

Default I'll finally be able to record some great bowling videos

I've been recording videos with our iPad of us bowling for the last couple of months. Unfortunately when my son records me he's all over the place. I've said in the past it's like watching COPS when they are chasing a perp. I have a full size and very expensive professional tripod I used to use with a digital camera to take pictures when I was an eBay consignment seller. Unfortunately I didn't have a way to mount a tablet to it. It will go as low to the ground as 1' 6" all the way up to 7' high

I did a search and I found a universal adapter to be able to mount the iPad on it. It works vertically and horizontally. Plus I have a Google Nexus 10 that will fit on it as well if need be or even a cell phone. I ordered it and should get it next week. This will be cool, I'll finally be able to get videos from any angle and any view. This is gonna be an immense help for my own bowling and a great tool when I get certified as a coach. Just what I wanted. It's only $7! I would have never thought.

If I wanted to there is a 3' wide space between our lanes 8 & 9 all the way down where there are pillars and where we keep the oiler I can set the tripod and get a front view from either of those lanes. This is ultra cool, I'm very excited about this. I can't wait until it gets here to try it out. Then I can finally post some videos of myself for your critique and of my son for advice.

High Roller

A teammate told me about an app called Hudl Technique. It's free. i installed it on my phone but so far have only tested it on dumb stuff but looks really good. you can advance frame by frame

Chats: 256

Very cool Phonetek.

Yep, Hudl Technique is my app of choice(because it's free), con do some very good slow motion captures in HD and like boatman said, can advance it frame by frame if wanted to. I use this just about every time I go to practice to make sure I am identifying timing issues.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

OOOh definitely I'll install that! I usually throw the videos on a thumb drive and I can advance frame by frame right on the TV but it's not great.

Cranker

I agree Hudl Technique is a great app. A must if you are going to be doing coaching.

Whoohoo! It came! It took about 30 seconds to put on my tripod and fits both the iPad and Google Nexus 10 perfectly. The tablet would be horizontal but my tripod can rotate 90 degrees if I really wanted it vertical. Since we review the video on the main TV it would be a lot of black area left and right recording vertical anyway. Horizontal it uses the full screen. I can't wait to use this.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Whoohoo! It came! It took about 30 seconds to put on my tripod and fits both the iPad and Google Nexus 10 perfectly. The tablet would be horizontal but my tripod can rotate 90 degrees if I really wanted it vertical. Since we review the video on the main TV it would be a lot of black area left and right recording vertical anyway. Horizontal it uses the full screen. I can't wait to use this.
    Usually, a video taken from behind the bowler should be in portrait (vertical) mode, with the initial focus on the ball side shoulder. Side views should be landscape or horizontal and ideally should pan to keep the bowler in the center of the image.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Usually, a video taken from behind the bowler should be in portrait (vertical) mode, with the initial focus on the ball side shoulder. Side views should be landscape or horizontal and ideally should pan to keep the bowler in the center of the image.

Yeah I don't think I'll be doing it vertical, it doesn't seem to fit quite tight enough that way like it will slip out. I'd rather not have it slam on the floor. I'm sure I can work around that and still get good vid from the rear view, may cut off the head but who wants to see that anyway. =)

BTW I downloaded that Hudl app. That looks pretty awesome too. I'll use that vs just the camera app on iPad, good for review using the iPad. I wonder what format it saves the videos in so I can still use them on the TV. My TV is rather picky about format .mov and some .flv's don't work. I never have problems with .mp4 & .avi files. It's not a big deal though, I have a converter that takes a few minutes unless it's a 2 hour video then it takes a while.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 03-06-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Video Capture Tips for Bowling Analysis Videos

Video Capture Tips for Bowling Analysis Videos

1. Post videos in real time so we can see your true tempo and cadence.
    2. Use the cameras highest Frame Per Second (FPS) setting, this helps avoid motion blur and gives you better slow motion playback.
      - Most video cameras shoot at 30fps (30 fps is the minimum you should use), your video should be exported at the same rate.
    3. When posting online don't make the video too small or use too much compression as this will cause a loss of detail.
    4. View #1: Directly Behind, Full Body
      -Setup the camera directly behind your ball side arm, at a height of about 5' - 6' (when possible)
      -Zoom out or move the camera back far enough to show you from head to toe at the beginning of your approach
    5. View #2: Side View, Full Body
      - Setup the camera a couple of lanes away, on your ball side
      - Zoom out or move the camera far enough away that you can see your entire approach from start to finish
      - If you can't get the camera far enough away, you can have a friend pan the camera to follow you during your approach
    6. Optional View: Directly Behind, Zoomed Into Release
      - This view can help determine what is happening right at the point of release
      - This view can also help when determining Axis Tilt, Axis Rotation, and Rev Rate
      - For calculating Rev's place a long piece of tape from your P.A.P. to above your fingers.
    7. If your a right-handed bowler you should be videotaped on an even numbered lane and a left-handed bowler on an odd-numbered lane in order to keep the ball return from getting in the way of the camera.

Example Views:

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I was able to give it a shot tonight with taking videos on the tripod using Hudl Technique. That program works wonderfully. I was able to get some great footage from behind at 4' and then 10' high. I moved it in front of us which was an ultra cool view, I started up close then moved it a few feet back. I was unable to get any from the side because there was some goofs bowling two handed very poorly on one side and a pillar was in the way on the other side. Maybe next time. I almost brought it back by the pinsetter to get a front view from there. I don't think for coaching that view would help much but it would be fun nonetheless.

I have to do some editing though. Unfortunately the lane I was bowling on has had a bad rash of pin jams lately, mechanic has been trying to figure it out for two days. I had to stop 6 times and go in the back to fix jams. PITA but at least it was me and not customers. I didn't stop the recording so I'm not uploading you guys watching my feet behind the lane fixing it. My son wants me to upload one where I picked up a 6-7 split. I don't think I need to upload that, I'm sure you guys have seen that about a billion times LOL

I'm off tomorrow so I can edit it then. I was at the bowling alley from 8:30 am to 10 pm today between working and bowling, that's enough for one day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast