Thread: Pin Under question

Chats: 2

Default Pin Under question

So, I've been talking to Chad McLean with Storm (Technical Director) about the wet/dry conditions I've been seeing in my home center, as well as sometimes in tournaments, and what he suggested I do to help battle them. I've been thinking about this for awhile, but never actually have done it. But, Chad suggested I should drill a Storm Drive with the pin under. Being a 2-hander my entire life, I was always told that having the pin under would cause the ball to roll weird. I'm not sure it would cause that as I've seen plenty of 2-handers throw pin under equipment. Either way, I've spoke to my driller and have one on the way. Just wondering what I can expect other that the ball reading sooner.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    So, I've been talking to Chad McLean with Storm (Technical Director) about the wet/dry conditions I've been seeing in my home center, as well as sometimes in tournaments, and what he suggested I do to help battle them. I've been thinking about this for awhile, but never actually have done it. But, Chad suggested I should drill a Storm Drive with the pin under. Being a 2-hander my entire life, I was always told that having the pin under would cause the ball to roll weird. I'm not sure it would cause that as I've seen plenty of 2-handers throw pin under equipment. Either way, I've spoke to my driller and have one on the way. Just wondering what I can expect other that the ball reading sooner.

I would have always assumed pin under drillings would be preferred by 2 handers. With all that extra revs and speed, I would think you guys would need the ball to enter a roll sooner. Good luck with the new ball, tell us how you do with it.

Pin under balls don't roll sooner. The position of the pin helps to determine the shape of the reaction (hook phase). Pin up balls are angular like a hockey stick, and pin down balls are more arcy like a banana shape. Pin down would help to smooth out wet/dry conditions.

Chats: 2

I know they don't roll sooner, but more of read earlier and smooth out the reaction. Like I said, I've never drilled anything pin under up to this point in my bowling career. Why, I'm not sure. I found a layout I really like and have mainly stuck with it lol. We will see what happens I suppose lol