Thread: Bowling with ramps / bumpers

Chats: 0

Default Bowling with ramps / bumpers

A little rant. I understand parents with little little kids say 5 and under ask for ramps, I get that. Of course they were originally designed for the disabled and wheel chair users. I still don't mind the little guys using them. What I don't get....parents with kids physically able 6+ yr old's asking for them. On top of that using bumpers. Just what exactly are they teaching them about bowling? Kids 6 and up should have no problem getting a 6lb ball down the lane. I don't care if they set it on the floor and push it between their legs, at least they are doing something.

To have bumpers too? Today I had a woman come in with her three kids that were ranging 10 - 14. She requested a ramp & bumpers. Seriously? A 14 year old boy using a ramp and bumpers, I was beside myself. I of course complied and got the ramp but what a colossal waste of time and money. Ironically, in 3 games each the highest score for the kids was 62.

Then once you get one ramp then anyone with kids wants one. This is not teaching your kids anything people! I don't understand this AT ALL. They spent about $80 bucks paying for bowling, shoe rental and some food and drinks but what did they get out of it beside utter boredom and a terrible impression of this sport?

As an establishment we are of course happy to take their money that they poorly spent but wow it just saddens me to see this. How many of these kids will EVER join a league or compete in the future? My guess is none since it had to suck out loud to sit there pushing a ball down a ramp to knock down maybe 6 pins in two shots unless they got really lucky with a 10 lb or less ball. I'd rather watch two flies on a wall mating than do that.

Personally I don't think anyone older than 12 at the absolute max should bother with bumpers. My daughter was using them and she's now 11 and I told her the other day no more bumpers. When she was using them she was bowling in the 80's maybe hit a 100. Now without them she bowled a 136 so far. I think they are more a handicap than a help. Ramps, as I said 5 or under and of course anyone who "needs" to use them. Both, silly in any case. Use one or the other.

I guess working at a bowling alley this is something I just have to get used to and grin n' bare it, but it secretly urks me. Okay rant over.

For discussion sake....what age do you think the cutoff should be for both ramps and or bumpers?

High Roller

Not sure on a cutoff but I think many are just there to let their kids do something different and keep them busy, whether its bowling or skipping rocks...lol. Unlike us I don't think they care how well they do. When I was practicing a few weeks ago it was a Friday just after lunch so not many people in there. There were a few kids that sat at a table behind me and were eating. I could hear them oooohing and awwwing every time I threw the ball (probably butchered that spelling...lol). They had probably never seen a serious bowler getting multiple strikes in a row (yeah it happened once...lol) and thought that it was 'normal' to just knock a few pins down and be happy. Who knows, maybe one of them went back home and said 'hey I want to do that'.

I do agree that when bowling enthusiasts such as ourselves bowl in front of that type of bowler even though we are far from pros I think nowadays they are rather in awe. They notice we don't do the "Fred Flintstone" and the likes and see that there is some skill involved in what we are doing. There parents probably are too. Unfortunately, they quickly forget when they bank it off the bumpers 3 times and somehow manage a strike. LOL

I will mention that later in the day I seen a mom and daughter bowling together. They both tied at a 149. I complimented them and said they should join our adult / child league that just began. They said that was a great idea, they'd really love that. I brought them the paperwork, they signed up and start Sunday. So I figure even though some may be a lost cause, at least I was able to attract a couple flies to the honey and get them bowling in a somewhat structured capacity. It's not a certified league but it's something. I feel as though I earned my wings today for doing something other than setting up bumpers and ramps. When I go in tomorrow I'll try to do it again.

Cranker

A 14 year old using a ramp is just embarrassing. I have 4 daughters, 11,10,9 and 7 and I'm proud of my kids, except for my 7 year old, they don't want to use bumpers. My 11 year old is around a 125 avg, then 10 and 9 are just over 100, my youngest isn't really that interested and just throws the ball without aiming. Anyway, I've been teaching them to throw 2 handed and they're getting pretty good at it. After watching my daughters bowl, a few of the other kids decided to go without bumpers too.

Oh man, your first sentence sent me into a laugh attack for about 5 minutes. It reminded me of the lady that called the radio station to complain that the city needed to move the deer xing sign to a different place so the deer don't cross the road there anymore. Next time someone has me get a ramp for an able bodied teen I'm gonna have to go in the back room to crack up now. It's really not hilarious, it just struck my funny bone I guess.

As for the rest, pretty much like Boatman was saying. Maybe it can be changed by example. Seeing someone who can bowl or seeing other kids bowl and do well without bumpers. Maybe that can be more contagious that the opposite. A monkey seeing another monkey grab a stick, of course the other one wants it. Make it a banana instead then maybe a bunch will want it.

SandBagger

When my dad first began taking me bowling I was about three and a half. He would not permit me or my siblings (older) to use bumpers. At that age, just pushing a ball down the lane was fun. I didn't need to hit pins every time to enjoy myself. By the time I was six years old, I was averaging over 100 in a youth league. Now when I begin teaching my son (in a little over a year) I will use the same method. No bumpers. Ever.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

I'm not a fan of kids using bumpers. Under 5, sure, but older, no. It doesn't help teach them the sport.

I have 2 boys and once they are old enough to bowl, I will take them and see how they like it. I honestly don't want to force the sport on them so I'll let them decide if they like it or not.

Ringer

I am under the opinion that around 5 should be the cut off for using a ramp unless physical limitations would benefit from a ramp. Bumpers on the other hand may help a youngster with their confidence and possible help them enjoy the game and maybe become more serious. I do however get irked when I see teens or even adults clearly goofing off with bumpers or even a ramp. Kinda reminds me of Kip and Uncle Rico on Napoleon Dynamite. Bottom line I suppose is make a difference where we can and accept when we cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    I am under the opinion that around 5 should be the cut off for using a ramp unless physical limitations would benefit from a ramp. Bumpers on the other hand may help a youngster with their confidence and possible help them enjoy the game and maybe become more serious. I do however get irked when I see teens or even adults clearly goofing off with bumpers or even a ramp. Kinda reminds me of Kip and Uncle Rico on Napoleon Dynamite. Bottom line I suppose is make a difference where we can and accept when we cannot.
    We will override at the counter and shut off bumpers if we see teens or adults using them. They are made of plastic currently and not the most durable either. If an adult hurling a 12 lb.+ ball at 20 MPH boinging off of them like a pinball it would likely shatter them. We actually had one crack recently when a younger kid threw the ball and wedged it between the back side of the bumper and the gutter. As bad as it sounds the kid just missed, albeit very badly but it was an accident. They only take a few minutes to repair, we have plenty of replacement sections but I know the mechanic wants to upgrade them to something more flexible.