Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the release point

Default the release point

ok so i was in a conversation with the owner of the proshop at my local bowling alley . he is a real nice dude with unbeatable prices and good advise. so we were talking about release points and where your thumb should be when you release. he said its best if you release the ball with your thumb first , when your thumb is at the 11 o clock position.i told him i released mine at 8 o'clock . he then told me i was hurting my hook.and that you should never twist your wrist. that i was trying to help the ball but was actualy hurting it. so can some one post up a video of exactly what your wrist should be doing . should it twist ? how should i hold the ball full palm or just above. i am going back to basics please help

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

I will try and put together a video if I have time in the next day or two. As for holding the ball, you should have your palm on the ball, but still have a little wiggle room. You should be able to slide nothing larger than a pencil between your palm and the ball. Your wrist, during your release isn't really a twist. If you stick your hand straight down, you would lift with the part of the palm that is where the bottom of your thumb meets your wrist. By lifting this part of your hand up, your hand will naturally rotate to having your thumb up and your pinky down. This is the finishing position that people sometimes refer to as the "shaking hands position. Your pro shop guy is correct about everything he said. The reason that the spinner release, which is what happens when your thumb is at 8 O'Clock when you release, isn't helping you is because it causes the core of the ball to take too long to get into it's optimum position. Also, if all you have is side roll, when the ball hits the dry part of the lane, it will slow down and shift momentum to the side. This gets hook, but at the cost of momentum. The key is to roll the ball at about a 45 degree angle, so when it hits the dry part of the lane it not only moves sideways but also increases forward momentum. This will increase power into the pocket and pin carry. I will post the video on this thread if I get time. I hope this helped.
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach

thanks man i understand some of it i will try it out hopefuly you can make that video i am more of a visual learner.so really its all about leting the ball do the work? you just kinda put it in the right position

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Without going way too deep into core technology and how to use it to it's full potential, see if this helps. Imagine that your ball is a car tire. While that tire is spinning on ice just peeling out, it isnt changing direction much because it has no traction. This is like the ball when it is sliding on the oil. Now once that tire grips the road, it will launch you in the direction it was aimed. What you want, is to have the wheels aimed the right direction before they get traction. So if you can roll your ball at the angle you want it to go once it grabs, then that is the direction it will go. Once again, I will try to make that video soon. Tonight is final position round in my league and we have a chance to win, so I am focused on that tonight.
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach

Last edited by wes909; 04-07-2010 at 06:57 PM.

guys watch and heed these videos i just got done bowling i applied these videos. i went up to 196

Chats: 2315

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAQj2H1u25U

That might help also. I think that's really basic.

wow i got release the ball lower thanks for the vid

Chats: 13

The are other keys to getting a clean & powerful release. In my opinion, are footwork timing, balance at the line, ball speed and follow through. When I get this right, I know because I finish & post the shot; if I don't get it right, I tend to fall away to the right rather than staying upright at the line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast