Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slide vs. Plant

Default Slide vs. Plant

I know the majority of bowlers out their slide with their lead foot upon release, but I am wondering if anyone else out there plants their foot, as I do. I have always done it as a form of leverage, and I could never see myself releasing the ball consistently while my lead foot is in motion. Once my foot is planted, I can really come through the ball during my release, and it has really benefitted me.

Does anyone else do this?
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 0

According to my coach, old school was to release while still sliding. Today's game, he said, requires the slide to end just before the release. This gives better leverage. I was one who released while sliding, but now, with a lot of work, the slide finishes just before release.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

I always plant my foot, I can't slide, or I fall (not foot to head coordinated). I've gone halfway down the lane before, they had to re-oil the lane

Quote Originally Posted by ThongPrincess View Post
    According to my coach, old school was to release while still sliding. Today's game, he said, requires the slide to end just before the release. This gives better leverage. I was one who released while sliding, but now, with a lot of work, the slide finishes just before release.

Old school - lol. I like hearing that from others, everyone is going away from it, and I'm heading directly for it. But yes, I slide, not much, as the ball is released. This is never been an issue with me, the hand position of the release point was everywhere, side, top, bottom, behind, you name it, I created it. Those nights did make it easy though, I never had to move - not until I through the ball correctly two or three times in a row, which I recall I've had nights where I never moved.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Granted, planting gives your more leverage that the twisters need, but it is hard on the knees. It's fine if you're a young buck and throw the ball 19mph. I doubt if you'll be able to do that much past the age of 40.
    INFO:Avg. N/A Righty,Stroker,Equipment Roto Grip,Brunswick,Ebonite 15lbs.

Im young, but I could only bowl about 6-7 games in a row before my arm and knee just need a rest. The outside of my foot also tends to get very sore from the added pressure planting puts on it. I doubt I'll be cranking the ball when I am 40, so I may have to opt for the Norm Duke line, rather than playing in front of the ball return.
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature

MOSTLY, aren't the ones who plant there feet crankers, all others( tweener, stroker, and the ones inbetween) slide. That simple planting can cause one to produce 350-400 rpm's, while us mere mortals produce 190-300 rpms. But the strokers & tweeners are more consistent.
    Its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bowling Guru View Post
    I know the majority of bowlers out their slide with their lead foot upon release, but I am wondering if anyone else out there plants their foot, as I do. I have always done it as a form of leverage, and I could never see myself releasing the ball consistently while my lead foot is in motion. Once my foot is planted, I can really come through the ball during my release, and it has really benefitted me.

Does anyone else do this?
    i,m another one that plants instead of slides and like you i can get some good leverage on the ball upon release..
    jason poe
    Personal Game Highs
    299 & 300 (Back 2 Back Weeks)
    Current average 209
    proud member of [U]bowlingboards.com

I plant but i am more of a tweener. I also have a slow approach so it won't hurt my knee so much.

It is probably also i have crappy shoes too and they don't slide to well. My coach has no issue with me not sliding so i am not going to change. I also have a 193 average in usbc league play so I guess it isn't to bad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast