Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Storm Bowling Balls for Dry - Med Lane Cond.?

  1. #1

    Default Storm Bowling Balls for Dry - Med Lane Cond.?

    Hello everyone! I am in the process of buying another bowling ball. Iím looking for storm bowling balls that handle well in Dry - Med oil lane conditions. Anyone have any good experiences with storm bowling balls that handle well in this range?

    Thanks
    - Chris

  2. #2
    Ringer chip82901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Rock Springs, WY
    Posts
    415
    Chats: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    Hello everyone! I am in the process of buying another bowling ball. Iím looking for storm bowling balls that handle well in Dry - Med oil lane conditions. Anyone have any good experiences with storm bowling balls that handle well in this range?

    Thanks
    - Chris
    Most people would think urethane, but, you have to remember that urethane will try to hook as soon as it finds friction, so it's not necessarily the best option. I've seen a lot of people have some success with the Match Up Hybrid (black/yellow/royal) and the Match Up Pearl (black/orange). On the Rotogrip side, the Hustle line has been awesome. The HYB hybrid and the INK (solid) have been the go to's around here for when things start to dry out. Haven't seen many people throw the Hustle POW, but it is the pearl version of them all. That should give you a general idea anyway for low end Storm/Roto balls that should work for what you're looking for.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

  3. #3

    Default

    I was thinking Urethane myself. And if you wanted a Storm ball...Pitch Black.

  4. #4

    Default

    Chris, You should take a look at the bowling ball reviews on Bowling This Month to get a great idea of which balls are well suited for what. They have ratings for various conditions and ratings for three types of bowlers being stroker, tweener and cranker. Since you're looking for something in the medium to dry conditions, the Storm Hy-Road has good ratings for dry and great ratings for medium for all three types of bowlers. For Roto-Grip the All-Out Show Off seems to be one of the best they have to offer for an all around ball except for heavier conditions. I have the Hustle INK and it's great on THS. It's especially good once transition sets in during league outings. Good luck!

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks guys for the help+opinions. Honestly you donít know how much this helps!!
    Iíve been probably thinking about the Hyroad or the Pitch Black maybe Match up Hybrid!

  6. #6
    Bowling Guru Amyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    3,991
    Chats: 32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    Thanks guys for the help+opinions. Honestly you donít know how much this helps!!
    Iíve been probably thinking about the Hyroad or the Pitch Black maybe Match up Hybrid!
    The hyroad and the pitch black are about as different as you can get.

    Hyroad- if your looking for a medium strength ball with some backend this is it. It will tend to get jumpy on lower oil conditions and may make you play deeper lines

    Matchup Hybrid- Most people I know haven't been real sold on the matchup line but it will be similar to the hyroad but a little less aggressive due to the weaker coverstock

    Pitch Black- I'm not a fan of urethane. Frankly for most bowlers there's almost always a better choice. Urethane should only be used by higher speed higher rev bowlers on shorter patterns not dryer patterns.

    A few other ideas

    Hustle Ink- I don't have one but from what I've seen one of the better less aggressive balls on the market. Not as aggressive as the hyroad but more than the matchup. it's pretty close to the hyraod but not as jumpy in my opinion

    Tropical storm- The least aggressive of the balls here it can help blend out a pattern but still packs plenty of boom in the trunk.

    With any of these balls don't think they are going to hook less on dry conditions they aren't they very well may hook more. Don't think your going to ball down and stay in the track once an area on the lane is dried out it's dried out and you can't bowl there anymore. The function of these balls are to go longer before they hook and may have more backend than your starting ball depending on what it is. You may find that you are better off learning to play deeper on the lanes with your existing ball than buying a new one. Just a friendly warning lots of bowlers think they'll buy a less aggressive ball and play farther right that's not really the case these balls may force you farther left they just save more energy down the lane to help kick the corners out when moving in.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

    Current arsenal

    900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

  7. #7
    Ringer chip82901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Rock Springs, WY
    Posts
    415
    Chats: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post

    Pitch Black- I'm not a fan of urethane. Frankly for most bowlers there's almost always a better choice. Urethane should only be used by higher speed higher rev bowlers on shorter patterns not dryer patterns.
    Honestly, I think EVERY tournament bowler should have a urethane ball in their bag. Myself, I have 2 of them, and throw them religiously in my home center, even on fresh shot. Then again, I am a higher rev/higher speed bowler. But, if you have over 250 revs and throw it more than 13.5mph, you definitely need a urethane ball for any serious tournaments. Just my opinion.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The hyroad and the pitch black are about as different as you can get.

    Hyroad- if your looking for a medium strength ball with some backend this is it. It will tend to get jumpy on lower oil conditions and may make you play deeper lines

    Matchup Hybrid- Most people I know haven't been real sold on the matchup line but it will be similar to the hyroad but a little less aggressive due to the weaker coverstock

    Pitch Black- I'm not a fan of urethane. Frankly for most bowlers there's almost always a better choice. Urethane should only be used by higher speed higher rev bowlers on shorter patterns not dryer patterns.

    A few other ideas

    Hustle Ink- I don't have one but from what I've seen one of the better less aggressive balls on the market. Not as aggressive as the hyroad but more than the matchup. it's pretty close to the hyraod but not as jumpy in my opinion

    Tropical storm- The least aggressive of the balls here it can help blend out a pattern but still packs plenty of boom in the trunk.

    With any of these balls don't think they are going to hook less on dry conditions they aren't they very well may hook more. Don't think your going to ball down and stay in the track once an area on the lane is dried out it's dried out and you can't bowl there anymore. The function of these balls are to go longer before they hook and may have more backend than your starting ball depending on what it is. You may find that you are better off learning to play deeper on the lanes with your existing ball than buying a new one. Just a friendly warning lots of bowlers think they'll buy a less aggressive ball and play farther right that's not really the case these balls may force you farther left they just save more energy down the lane to help kick the corners out when moving in.
    Thank you Amyers for the advice! Itíll definitely look more into this!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •