Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ball cracked?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default New ball cracked?

My new Black Widow Gold had a jagged line on the bottom. Wasn't a straight line. Bowled good with it. At the end of the game noticed a 2nd line (it might have been there when I noticed the first one). Showed the PSO and he put it on the spinner and hit it with the pad then the compound real quick. Most of it was gone after that. He kept it and was going to resurface it to see how it looks. He thinks it is a scratch but I'm not so sure. It was barely noticeable after he spun it up. He did say that if he finds it is cracked he will contact his rep. Only has 18 games on it (15 league, 3 practice).

Thoughts? If it is a crack would it 'disappear' with some sanding? If it disappears is it just a scratch? Anyone else seen this with a Hammer BWG?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    My new Black Widow Gold had a jagged line on the bottom. Wasn't a straight line. Bowled good with it. At the end of the game noticed a 2nd line (it might have been there when I noticed the first one). Showed the PSO and he put it on the spinner and hit it with the pad then the compound real quick. Most of it was gone after that. He kept it and was going to resurface it to see how it looks. He thinks it is a scratch but I'm not so sure. It was barely noticeable after he spun it up. He did say that if he finds it is cracked he will contact his rep. Only has 18 games on it (15 league, 3 practice).

Thoughts? If it is a crack would it 'disappear' with some sanding? If it disappears is it just a scratch? Anyone else seen this with a Hammer BWG?

If Most of it was gone after after being on the spinner it's just a scratch, I've had a new ball that I thought had cracked but soon as I sanded it gone.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

Hope you are right but it's an odd looking scratch. It's jagged and pointy like a crack would be and several inches long. I didn't get a real good look at the whole thing because as soon as we were done I ran to the PSO to let him take a look. He went straight to the spinner and I left the ball there for him.

I guess rolling around in the pit if there was something sharp in there it could have created a jagged line?

It bowled good. I noticed it early in the 3rd game and rolled a 227 with it that game?

Chats: 32

From your description it's most likely a scratch and you'll get those from time to time. Hard to say where it happened could have been the pit could be the ball return. If it is a crack it will get worse and be noticeable again hammer has a good warranty so don't sweat it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 10

Fingers crossed for you. Stinks getting a new piece and something like this happening that quick.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Would the resurfacing void the warranty?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Would the resurfacing void the warranty?
    No, Sanding your ball doesn't void the warranty.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Okay, was just curious because it's technically altering the ball. I wasn't sure how the manufacturers feel about changing the out of box finish. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Okay, was just curious because it's technically altering the ball. I wasn't sure how the manufacturers feel about changing the out of box finish. Thanks.
    No manufacturers don't care if you change the out of box finish. In fact there's a lot people that will tell you, when you get a new ball before you ever roll it. Change the surface first, it's virtually impossible to replicate the out of box finish. So you should put one on there that you can repeat, plus OOB surface isn't necessarily the surface "you" need. It's just the surface the marketing gurus feel will appeal to the widest range of bowlers.

The ones with rules about altering the balls surface is the USBC.

Chats: 221

Plus a lot of the time the OOB surface is done for " shelf appeal
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast