Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered my first new ball in 20+ years tonight

Chats: 0

Default Ordered my first new ball in 20+ years tonight

I put some money down and had my PSO order me a 15lb Hammer Rip'd. I won't get it until a week from Thursday. Not because he can't get it sooner but because I need a paycheck first LOL I'm kinda pumped to try out something from this century. I'm very curious how I'll do with it. It's going to be too much ball for where I work but that's not why I'm getting it. The place closer to home throws down a sport pattern I want to use it on. Of course you know I have to try it out at work anyway. I should probably do it right after I oil.

I'm also dropping off my wife's old Original Black Faball Hammer to have that re-drilled for me since she won't throw it anymore. I'm gonna have him polish the heck out of it and I'll use it as a spare ball. Two down, two to go for the new arsenal. I'm interested to see just how much dropping one pound will make a difference. So a week from Thursday, I'm pumped and I can't wait.

High Roller

Awesome! I may be in the market for a new ball. Looked like my new Black Widow Gold was cracked tonight. PSO is resurfacing it to see if it was a scratch or crack but looks jagged like a crack. Let me know how you like the new ball in case I need to get another one.

It's not real clear from your post whether you are dropping a pound from 16 to 15, or if your wife's ball is lighter. If the later is the case, please consider that one of the very few things that coaches and PSO's agree on is that changing between balls of different weights is a real bad idea. The reason is that the change in weight often results in really screwing up your timing.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    It's not real clear from your post whether you are dropping a pound from 16 to 15, or if your wife's ball is lighter. If the later is the case, please consider that one of the very few things that coaches and PSO's agree on is that changing between balls of different weights is a real bad idea. The reason is that the change in weight often results in really screwing up your timing.
    Rob, I think in one of Phonetek’s earlier posts he said that his wife rolled 15# balls before having back problems.
    John

Congrats! It's a great feeling. I went 18 years between balls. A month ago I picked up a Hammer Diesel. Amazing how better my game got when I used a more modern ball lol

Then I took my old Red Hammer Faball as a spare ball for 3 weeks but just recently purchased my second new ball, Storm Pitch Black, which will be my new spare ball. The Red Hammer will now be retired.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Yes Rob, both balls will be 15 lbs. I'm happily retiring the RPM Swirl and Blue Hammer both 16 lbs. I would have never considered throwing multiple weight balls. They should have been before I came back to bowling but I can't complain. On the same token I wouldn't have even thought of dropping a pound had I not decided to join here back in Jan. I'm expecting that fact alone to really help my game or at least change it for the better.

Although the black hammer is from the 80's, it was originally my mothers ball and she bought it new. It has probably less than 100 games on it. Mom couldn't control it so she shelved it pretty much right away. Wifey never bowled much. I think it will make an excellent spare ball. I never threw a 15 in my life. When I was 12 I kinda skipped right from a 12 lb to a 16. Who knows, one pound may not make any significant difference at all but I'm certainly willing to give it a shot since I don't foresee any negatives in doing so.

Boatman, your BWG cracked already and from the sounds of it wasn't caused by improper drilling? I'd be jumping up and down flipping out until you get a free replacement. From the way you described it, it seems to be a defect. These things cost way too much to just chuck it and buy a new one if the PSO can't fix it. Then again I don't have a fat bank account like I once did. I know going in these newer balls die after a couple years, not like the old days. I should hope they last longer than a dozen flowers though LOL

No, that wasn't a pun about scented bowling balls either. Plus, you paid for a Hammer which is one of the top name brands not a bargain ball. I'd definitely go to the manufacture and see if they stand behind their product. Unless of course you let it sit in your car in the cold or something then game over.

High Roller

Nope. The longest that ball was in the weather was my 10 minute commute to and from the center. It always came in the house with me when I got home and stayed there until I left the following week.

We will see if it is a crack or was a scratch. After he started sanding it looked like it could have been a scratch but the way it was shaped looked more like a crack. I'm sure if it is a crack it will reappear after a game or two. And yeah, the crack is on the opposite side from the drilling so doubt the drilling had anything to do with it. Wish I had got pics but like I said, if it is cracked I'm sure it will show up after a game or so.

Chats: 256

Congrats on the new ball. The Rip'D ball looks really good. Have seen the solid and pearl versions down the lane and they both look strong.

On the drop in weight, that is one major factor/decision I forget that I made several years ago that helped my game tremendously. Making that drop made me more accurate and gave me more revs on the ball in addition to the increase in stamina.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 10

Nice. Congrats on the new rock. Just picked up a new Hustle yesterday.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Congrats on the new ball. The Rip'D ball looks really good. Have seen the solid and pearl versions down the lane and they both look strong.

On the drop in weight, that is one major factor/decision I forget that I made several years ago that helped my game tremendously. Making that drop made me more accurate and gave me more revs on the ball in addition to the increase in stamina.
    I'm certainly looking forward to all of that. I gotta admit it's gonna be hard to shelf my old AMF. Last night I used it and I finally wasn't hanging up in it for the first time in quite some time and I did extremely well. I'll get a few more times to use it before it's shelved but it's like saying goodbye to an old friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast