Thread: Now a video of my son

Chats: 0

Default Now a video of my son

I apologize in advance, this is very short and the quality is terrible. I had to make a video of a video. Trying to get these off the tablet is way overly complicated so I did it the easy way. Now, as far as the video content....keep in mind he just started bowling in January this year. The ball is new and fingertip. He gets very little turn on it and sometimes even a backup ball. He keeps wanting to use the Cobra I have. I'd prefer to NOT have him do that.

Please be kind. NOTE: His push away is all wrong and he just started doing this, I don't know why. I tried several times telling him but until we got home and he seen the video he said he didn't really understand. We haven't gone again yet to see if he will correct it or not but now he knows what I'm talking about. I know this isn't much to work with but any suggestions would be welcome for our next outing in which I will get better video that I can get off the tablet easier. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-1j...ature=youtu.be

High Roller

Not bad form for a rookie...lol. I did notice his backswing comes around behind him a little. But with 2 months experience that should be expected

Yes, he does a little figure 8. Yeah 2 months but a billion games, he's an energizer bunny. If it wasn't 50 cents a game I'd have to sell blood to keep up paying for it.

Anyone else?? I could really use some objective suggestions.

Cranker

When he pushes away, he pushes the ball up then out. I think I would prefer that he just pushes straight out and let the ball drop into his swing. I think that may help free up his arm swing a little. Other than that, he's got pretty good basics.

I agree 110% about the push away. I think he picked that up from his little sister who does that which I seem to see more females than males do. He corrected it some tonight but still has more to go. I didn't take video tonight though. I will take the rest as a huge compliment since I obviously have been his coach. If you seen him in January you wouldn't know it was the same person. Kids are such sponges now a days and progress so quickly. Tonight he bowled a 186 creaming his previous high game. The little fart had a 5 bagger, a first for him. Had he not got a 4-6 split first ball of the 10th he probably could easily shot a deuce. I'm very proud.

We all know about the pushaway so with that said.
    From the back view- His footwork is good. His side tilt he keeps throughout his approach which is good. His follow through is real good. His head moves too much when he adds muscle/speed to the release. Maybe this is why the ball doesn't hook in the video. You can see how much his head moves left in the last 3 pics.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr...tml?sort=3&o=1

From the front view- you will see how much his head moves as he releases the ball.The red line doesn't move so you can tell how much movement he has. Tell the young man to stop adding speed to the ball. Hook and speed happens when you relax and your able to keep your hand behind and create revs . You create revs by doing a cup to uncup movement during the release.

So with both pics showing his head moves,it goes left,up and down that's too much effort in bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbowlingcoach View Post
    We all know about the pushaway so with that said.
    From the back view- His footwork is good. His side tilt he keeps throughout his approach which is good. His follow through is real good. His head moves too much when he adds muscle/speed to the release. Maybe this is why the ball doesn't hook in the video. You can see how much his head moves left in the last 3 pics.

From the front view- you will see how much his head moves as he releases the ball.The red line doesn't move so you can tell how much movement he has. Tell the young man to stop adding speed to the ball. Hook and speed happens when you relax and your able to keep your hand behind and create revs . You create revs by doing a cup to uncup movement during the release.

So with both pics showing his head moves,it goes left,up and down that's too much effort in bowling.
    It sure does. Great observation, thank you. I think Norm Duke calls that "The bobble head effect". At least the side to side part. I showed him your photos and he said "Wow I can't believe I do that!" He understands what you are saying. His release needs a lot of work because it's very back and forth between a slight hook, backup ball and straight ball.

I ask him how the grip feels in the ball but at this point I think it's too early for him to know what the grip "Should" feel like. He just says "Good" not "It's too loose or tight" It's so hard to tell but I think he's unconsciously trying to get all 3 fingers out at the same time and trying to get the ball to react one way or another. It may also be too soon to concentrate on "hook". First he should slow down and keep that head straight like you said and work on balance. Hook and revs will develop over time.

The problem with Dad being a bowler and his coach is he's trying to hard to mimick me. I told him it's nice and all he wants to be a clone but he needs to develop a style of his own. What works for me may not work for him. I told him to take Dick and Pete Weber as role models. Father and son both as far from the spectrum as you can get from one another in styles. The other thing is he's always so worried about score during lessons. I told him next time I'm gonna get a lane and go in back and remove all the pins from the pinsetter to take them out of the equation. I know how to do it now LOL

Thank you Michiganbowlingcoach!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I apologize in advance, this is very short and the quality is terrible. I had to make a video of a video. Trying to get these off the tablet is way overly complicated so I did it the easy way. Now, as far as the video content....keep in mind he just started bowling in January this year. The ball is new and fingertip. He gets very little turn on it and sometimes even a backup ball. He keeps wanting to use the Cobra I have. I'd prefer to NOT have him do that.

Please be kind. NOTE: His push away is all wrong and he just started doing this, I don't know why. I tried several times telling him but until we got home and he seen the video he said he didn't really understand. We haven't gone again yet to see if he will correct it or not but now he knows what I'm talking about. I know this isn't much to work with but any suggestions would be welcome for our next outing in which I will get better video that I can get off the tablet easier. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-1j...ature=youtu.be
    It looks like your son is well on the way to having sound fundamentals.

I may be misjudging things, but to me it looks like he sets up with the ball centered under his chin. Combine this with not having a cross-over step and the ball is almost guarantied to swing behind his back.

The great thing about filming with a tablet is you don’t have to wait till you get home to show him how he can improve.
    John