Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gym class bowling

Bowler
    Chats: 0

I took it in college. Easy a. I missed taking gym so I chose that as an elective. We met at the local bowling alley. I bowled almost as well as the teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    I took it in college. Easy a. I missed taking gym so I chose that as an elective. We met at the local bowling alley. I bowled almost as well as the teacher
    The teacher that brings the classes to our lanes only bowls with one group not all. She's kinda okay at it I guess, I'm sure yours was better. She's by no means a "bowling coach" if only on the most very basic beginning level. About 130 average being kind. In all fairness, gym teachers just have to be able to teach a wide range of different sports. They usually don't even play, merely demonstrate and they certainly don't have to be good at doing them if they do play.

Ringer

very nice. so for me in high school we had a section on bowling but it consisted of setting up either 3 or 5 weighted pins ( i cannot remember for sure but I do know it was not a full rack) we rolled generic hollow rubber bowling ball. needless to say I don't think we learned much plus there was alot off goofing off.

SandBagger

I just heard a story around here that the area high schools used to have their students go to the lanes for PE class. Some years back, the students had a pop bottle fight in the center and apparently caused thousands of dollars worth of damage. In addition, one of them hit the proprietor's leg with a bowling ball (apparently rake wasn't down). Anyway, after those two incidents the schools stopped sending their students. Most likely it had to do with the thousands of dollars the schools had to shell out to pay for damages.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

We've heard of bowling in P.E. as well. We have someone on the team that got to experience it personally. They said that they paid 25 cents a game, every day in P.E. for about 6 weeks. Learned how to keep track of their own scores on paper and also learned the basic terminology. They were tested on this at the end of the 6 weeks as well.
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
    I just heard a story around here that the area high schools used to have their students go to the lanes for PE class. Some years back, the students had a pop bottle fight in the center and apparently caused thousands of dollars worth of damage. In addition, one of them hit the proprietor's leg with a bowling ball (apparently rake wasn't down). Anyway, after those two incidents the schools stopped sending their students. Most likely it had to do with the thousands of dollars the schools had to shell out to pay for damages.
    Working on the front of the machines without the rake down is a no no, that was more the on proprietor for not doing it. He should also unplug the whole unit too, that way it's 100% off. He took a shortcut and got burned. Safety first. Unless he walked down the lane in plain view to go get a pin off the lane or ball that wasn't behind the rake then it was on the kid for throwing a ball when he knew he was there. He'd have been thrown out

I hope the police got involved for the bottle fight. When we serve kids soda including Root Beer which is in bottles we pour it in a plastic cup or they get plastic pitchers, now I know why. LOL I know if an adult was to chuck a beer bottle we'd be calling the cops for sure, no reason for acting like that. We don't even bother getting in people's face for acting up, we let the cops handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by BowlingBoards.com View Post
    We've heard of bowling in P.E. as well. We have someone on the team that got to experience it personally. They said that they paid 25 cents a game, every day in P.E. for about 6 weeks. Learned how to keep track of their own scores on paper and also learned the basic terminology. They were tested on this at the end of the 6 weeks as well.
    I definitely give them kudos for having the program. As I said previously, it's great exposure to the sport if they are doing it correctly and giving kids that wouldn't otherwise exposure involve.

Ringer

I don't remember, did boy scouts have a bowling merit badge. if not why not

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    I don't remember, did boy scouts have a bowling merit badge. if not why not
    That's a great question. I don't know if they got anything for it or not. I don't know when they are coming back next but maybe the boss knows. I'll make a point to ask him.

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Working on the front of the machines without the rake down is a no no, that was more the on proprietor for not doing it. He should also unplug the whole unit too, that way it's 100% off. He took a shortcut and got burned. Safety first. Unless he walked down the lane in plain view to go get a pin off the lane or ball that wasn't behind the rake then it was on the kid for throwing a ball when he knew he was there. He'd have been thrown out.
    I am aware that the person should always use the rake, but like I said, I don't know the details so it could very well be that the person walked right down the gutters to the pin deck in plain view.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Quote Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
    I am aware that the person should always use the rake, but like I said, I don't know the details so it could very well be that the person walked right down the gutters to the pin deck in plain view.
    Yeah, either way it's unfortunate. Nobody should get a ball to the leg but it happens. Occupational hazard. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12