Thread: The mechanic must have a "Spidey Sense"

Chats: 0

Default The mechanic must have a "Spidey Sense"

I have to laugh at the mechanic at work. Sometimes I'll be in his office chatting or being taught something, he abruptly stops and goes out to the pinsetters and sees a problem and fixes it. This happens BEFORE the counter calls in the back or when the automated voice announces an issue with the pinsetter or any indicator lights come on. He's done this 3 times now! I just stand there like a dog staring into a ceiling fan like "What the? How did you.....?" I mentioned before he's 70 yrs old and is very hard of hearing. I don't know what it is but somehow Miyogi knows! The office door is centered by lane 6&7 and even if it's lane 1 or 12 he just knows. He constantly amazes me.

Not only that but he will teach me something one day and it's things that aren't exactly are "common" issues that happen frequently. Low and behold when he's off work it just so happens that very thing happens and needs to be done. It's a heck of a confidence boost when I go back there and say "I got this boss!" and fix it in just a few minutes because I know exactly what to do. He's gotta know somehow but I can't explain it. I think he's trying to make me look good in front of the boss or something and plans these things somehow. There just isn't any other explanation.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I have to laugh at the mechanic at work. Sometimes I'll be in his office chatting or being taught something, he abruptly stops and goes out to the pinsetters and sees a problem and fixes it. This happens BEFORE the counter calls in the back or when the automated voice announces an issue with the pinsetter or any indicator lights come on. He's done this 3 times now! I just stand there like a dog staring into a ceiling fan like "What the? How did you.....?" I mentioned before he's 70 yrs old and is very hard of hearing. I don't know what it is but somehow Miyogi knows! The office door is centered by lane 6&7 and even if it's lane 1 or 12 he just knows. He constantly amazes me.

Not only that but he will teach me something one day and it's things that aren't exactly are "common" issues that happen frequently. Low and behold when he's off work it just so happens that very thing happens and needs to be done. It's a heck of a confidence boost when I go back there and say "I got this boss!" and fix it in just a few minutes because I know exactly what to do. He's gotta know somehow but I can't explain it. I think he's trying to make me look good in front of the boss or something and plans these things somehow. There just isn't any other explanation.
    We had an older guy here named Jack that has worked on machines all over the country since he was 14. He passed away a few months ago but taught our guy that's been basically running our lanes everything he knows for the last 20 years. Jack knew our converted Brunswick A2's like the back of his hand, and even made his own tools to work on them BEFORE Brunswick made them. That man could hear something wrong with those machines from a mile away, even at the prime age of 82. He's now passed that on to Brad, as he can hear something that no one else can and fixes it right away. Brad is now passing his knowledge to his 16 year old son who started working at the lanes this year. I live in a fairly small town where everyone pretty much knows everyone, and things get passed from generation to generation. Without Brad, we wouldn't have a place to bowl, as the proprietor doesn't really care about the place, and would rather just move to Vegas and retire. Brad runs all of our leagues, maintains the lanes, machines, runs all the tournaments, the works. Glad to see there are more mechanics out there that just know what's going on.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    We had an older guy here named Jack that has worked on machines all over the country since he was 14. He passed away a few months ago but taught our guy that's been basically running our lanes everything he knows for the last 20 years. Jack knew our converted Brunswick A2's like the back of his hand, and even made his own tools to work on them BEFORE Brunswick made them. That man could hear something wrong with those machines from a mile away, even at the prime age of 82. He's now passed that on to Brad, as he can hear something that no one else can and fixes it right away. Brad is now passing his knowledge to his 16 year old son who started working at the lanes this year. I live in a fairly small town where everyone pretty much knows everyone, and things get passed from generation to generation. Without Brad, we wouldn't have a place to bowl, as the proprietor doesn't really care about the place, and would rather just move to Vegas and retire. Brad runs all of our leagues, maintains the lanes, machines, runs all the tournaments, the works. Glad to see there are more mechanics out there that just know what's going on.
    We have AMF machines where I am and yeah this guy is the same way. He's made his own parts, tools you name it. I can only aspire to be like this guy someday.