Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Colored lane oils

  1. #1
    Cranker Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    839
    Chats: 0

    Default Colored lane oils

    Before I get scolded for posting this I did an advanced search prior to and found nothing in post titles. The entire post search comes up with WAY too many pages than I care to look at. I'm sure it has been previously discussed but I can't find it. So this blue oil they use on PBA, is this ONLY on PBA at this point? I mentioned this oil to my mechanic and he didn't even know it existed. (Wow, something he didn't know)

    I was just curious if this is something that we can expect to see in the future? Also, thus far I've only seen blue, does it come in other colors? Red, purple etc? I also wonder if it would stain your clothes, not that many people wear white but that could prove a bigger problem in that case.

    I also wonder if long term use that the coloring would maybe stain real wood lanes? Looking at it from my point of view since I oil lanes, it would certainly be helpful to see just how well the machine strips the oil off the lanes and deck if it did have the coloring in it.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 03-12-2018 at 03:43 PM.

  2. #2
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,689
    Chats: 13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Before I get scolded for posting this I did an advanced search prior to and found nothing in post titles. The entire post search comes up with WAY too many pages than I care to look at. I'm sure it has been previously discussed but I can't find it. So this blue oil they use on PBA, is this ONLY on PBA at this point? I mentioned this oil to my mechanic and he didn't even know it existed. (Wow, something he didn't know)

    I was just curious if this is something that we can expect to see in the future? Also, thus far I've only seen blue, does it come in other colors? Red, purple etc? I also wonder if it would stain your clothes, not that many people wear white but that could prove a bigger problem in that case.

    I also wonder if long term use that the coloring would maybe stain real wood lanes? Looking at it from my point of view since I oil lanes, it would certainly be helpful to see just how well the machine strips the oil off the lanes and deck if it did have the coloring in it.
    The colored lane oil is only used for televised PBA finals as far as I know. It is as far as I know just a gimmick to make it easier for the announcers to talk about the pattern.
    John

  3. #3
    Cranker Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    839
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Even with regular oil you can see it if you really look but only to a point. I noticed it the other day when was walking down the lane (not ON the lane of course) to get a pin out of the gutter. I could see the oil and the lack thereof on the outside boards. Maybe with sharper eyes than mine you could see more. Now standing in the back by the pinsetters looking toward the approach you can see the ball paths almost like a diagram. It's the angle and possibly the way the light hits but it's visible.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    bowl1820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central, Florida
    Posts
    6,157
    Blog Entries
    11
    Chats: 554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    So this blue oil they use on PBA, is this ONLY on PBA at this point? I mentioned this oil to my mechanic and he didn't even know it existed. (Wow, something he didn't know)
    Your mechanic is way out of the loop! he must never watch bowling on tv. The Blue oil has been out for like about 5 years. The blue oil made its debut on ESPN’s PBA World Series of Bowling telecast on Dec 1, 2013 and basically it's only used on the PBA telecasts.

    I was just curious if this is something that we can expect to see in the future?
    Unlikely,

    While I wouldn't really care if they did use it, I think for the majority of league bowlers it would be meaningless to them. Other than to maybe show them just how fast the oil is being depleted in the track area.

    Plus it would be come a nightmare for the house, As they would then have to listen to everyone complaining about the conditions as they "see it" and wanting more oil and possible staining of clothes and balls etc.

    Also, thus far I've only seen blue, does it come in other colors? Red, purple etc?
    AFAIK it doesn't, I haven't seen any others anyway.

    I also wonder if it would stain your clothes, not that many people wear white but that could prove a bigger problem in that case.

    I also wonder if long term use that the coloring would maybe stain real wood lanes? Looking at it from my point of view since I oil lanes, it would certainly be helpful to see just how well the machine strips the oil off the lanes and deck if it did have the coloring in it.
    Not much has been said about staining, other than some comments about staining balls. Since it's only in limited use and only by the pros, it's not a big concern.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-12-2018 at 05:30 PM.

    Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

    "Adjust too soon and maybe ruin one frame, adjust too late and ruin a game."

  5. #5
    Cranker Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    839
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Your mechanic is way out of the loop! he must never watch bowling on tv. The Blue oil has been out for like about 5 years. The blue oil made its debut on ESPN’s PBA World Series of Bowling telecast on Dec 1, 2013 and basically it's only used on the PBA telecasts.


    Unlikely,

    While I wouldn't really care if they did use it, I think for the majority of league bowlers it would be meaningless to them. Other than to maybe show them just how fast the oil is being depleted in the track area.

    Plus it would be come a nightmare for the house, As they would then have to listen to everyone complaining about the conditions as they "see it" and wanting more oil and possible staining of clothes and balls etc.


    AFAIK it doesn't, I haven't seen any others anyway.



    Not much has been said about staining, other than some comments about staining balls. Since it's only in limited use and only by the pros, it's not a big concern.
    Yeah the mechanic as ironic as it sounds NOT a bowler and he doesn't watch bowling. Go figure

    With the staining, if it can stain a ball then it would definitely be an issue on clothes. They may come out just like lane dirt but yeah I can see the potential problems

  6. #6
    Ringer chip82901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Rock Springs, WY
    Posts
    395
    Chats: 2

    Default

    As for the staining, I remember seeing a picture of Shawn Maldonado's Hot Cell after the World Series of Bowling this year. Normally a very RED ball, his was almost PURPLE. They do use the blue oil even during qualifying and match play, so, throw 30 plus games on blue oil and you'll definitely notice a staining of a ball. Bowling balls these days are so porous that they absorb EVERYTHING. So, if the oil is dyed, you be it's going to stain it. And unlike the pros, most of us don't get the luxury of just punching a new one lol.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 199 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

  7. #7

    Default

    I may be mistaken, but I thought I'd seen that black lights can help you see the oil on the lanes better.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    bowl1820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central, Florida
    Posts
    6,157
    Blog Entries
    11
    Chats: 554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I thought I'd seen that black lights can help you see the oil on the lanes better.
    It can to a extent, but not in the way the blue oil can under normal lighting.

    here's a photo of the pattern under blacklight (computer enhanced)

    Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

    "Adjust too soon and maybe ruin one frame, adjust too late and ruin a game."

  9. #9
    Cranker Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    839
    Chats: 0

    Default

    The black lights will surely help you see every piece of lint you have on your clothes and quite brightly too. So if your going on a first date to cosmic bowl under black lights, use a lint brush before you leave or you most likely won't get a second date. LOL Next time we run the black lights I'll go out on the lanes and see if it looks any different. I never really paid any attention. If it shows up I'll get a pic or two of it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •