Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pro shop?

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default pro shop?

I have only had minimal experiences with pro shops and am not familiar with any in my local area, at least recently. my question is in your experience what are some good signs and warning signs to look for when dealing with a new shop? I have 3 fairly near me and one of them is within a couple of miles and would like to start using them. it seems like a lot of the shops have minimal hours that they are open and this one in particular is only open 4 nights a week for a couple of hours. I am not sure if this is something to be concerned about? I need to bring my new ball in to be fit and drilled but i have read some comments about the treatment of people who bring balls into a shop where they were not purchased at. I would like to establish a good relationship with one or more shops since I am starting to get more serious about my game. any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. I plan on visiting all of the local shops at some point and want to know what to keep my eye open for.

thank you.

First, you might want to check out listings at www.ibpsia.com which is an organization that certifies bowling pro shops.
    Since you're in Utah, you might want to contact the folks at Storm bowling and ask for some references from them while you're at it.
    Many PSOs have shortened hours, because they work for a living other than operating a pro shop. Many have been doing this for years and have good reputations.
    Fit is the key. That's where qualifications may come into play especially if you have special issues to fit the ball to.
    You certainly would want to do business with someone you're comfortable with as well.
    The PSO I deal with I've been working with for nearly ten years and I'm not going to change any time soon. Good guy, good service, decent prices and dependable. I'm a lucky guy!
    Good luck!

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    I have only had minimal experiences with pro shops and am not familiar with any in my local area, at least recently. my question is in your experience what are some good signs and warning signs to look for when dealing with a new shop? I have 3 fairly near me and one of them is within a couple of miles and would like to start using them. it seems like a lot of the shops have minimal hours that they are open and this one in particular is only open 4 nights a week for a couple of hours. I am not sure if this is something to be concerned about? I need to bring my new ball in to be fit and drilled but i have read some comments about the treatment of people who bring balls into a shop where they were not purchased at. I would like to establish a good relationship with one or more shops since I am starting to get more serious about my game. any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. I plan on visiting all of the local shops at some point and want to know what to keep my eye open for.

thank you.
    Being that you are in Utah, I regularly see one of 2 people down there. I'd make your way over to the Strike Zone Pro Shop in West Jordan and see Clay Rees. Tell him Robbie Wilson sent you. He's who most of us in SW Wyoming use. All of his guys are very good at what they do. I had him drill up a Timeless I won from Storm, as well as I purchased a Phaze from him. Primarily though, I've been seeing Max Shellabarger up at Hill AFB for all of my stuff. But, being that you are in Riverton, I'd give Clay a call up at All Star West Jordan.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    First, you might want to check out listings at www.ibpsia.com which is an organization that certifies bowling pro shops.
    Since you're in Utah, you might want to contact the folks at Storm bowling and ask for some references from them while you're at it.
    Many PSOs have shortened hours, because they work for a living other than operating a pro shop. Many have been doing this for years and have good reputations.
    Fit is the key. That's where qualifications may come into play especially if you have special issues to fit the ball to.
    You certainly would want to do business with someone you're comfortable with as well.
    The PSO I deal with I've been working with for nearly ten years and I'm not going to change any time soon. Good guy, good service, decent prices and dependable. I'm a lucky guy!
    Good luck!
    thank you djp I was not aware of the ibpsia. I will check that out. as far as Storm goes I was thinking about seeing if I could get in for a tour if they offer such a thing.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Being that you are in Utah, I regularly see one of 2 people down there. I'd make your way over to the Strike Zone Pro Shop in West Jordan and see Clay Rees. Tell him Robbie Wilson sent you. He's who most of us in SW Wyoming use. All of his guys are very good at what they do. I had him drill up a Timeless I won from Storm, as well as I purchased a Phaze from him. Primarily though, I've been seeing Max Shellabarger up at Hill AFB for all of my stuff. But, being that you are in Riverton, I'd give Clay a call up at All Star West Jordan.
    thank you Robbie. this shop was definitely one I was going to check out. thank you for the referral. this shop is pretty near me and I am familiar with the lanes. do you know if Clay also works at the Sandy All Star lanes? I also bowl at the Riverton Delton lanes. are you at all familiar with them? yes Hill AFB is a bit of a drive but not nearly as long of a drive that you have. next time I get out that way I may check them out.

thank you Robbie. this shop was definitely one I was going to check out. thank you for the referral. this shop is pretty near me and I am familiar with the lanes. do you know if Clay also works at the Sandy All Star lanes? I also bowl at the Riverton Delton lanes. are you at all familiar with them? yes Hill AFB is a bit of a drive but not nearly as long of a drive that you have. next time I get out that way I may check them out.
    I think Clay is just at All Star West Jordan. I've bowled at both Sandy and Delton though. However, I wasn't a huge fan of Delton lol. Kept sticking on 1-2.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I think Clay is just at All Star West Jordan. I've bowled at both Sandy and Delton though. However, I wasn't a huge fan of Delton lol. Kept sticking on 1-2.
    great, thanks for your help. I go to Delton frequently since it is real close to home. plus I am hooked on their onion rings. of course All Star west jordan is pretty close too.

great, thanks for your help. I go to Delton frequently since it is real close to home. plus I am hooked on their onion rings. of course All Star west jordan is pretty close too.
    I'm down in the area every now and then and bowl a few ABT's. Haven't been down to one in awhile though due to tournament season hitting wyo pretty hard right now. Have Wyoming Master's next weekend, then Pla Mor Challenge (my home center Scratch Tourney, 2 different patterns), then state the end of April. May go hit up something in Utah after that.

thank you djp I was not aware of the ibpsia. I will check that out. as far as Storm goes I was thinking about seeing if I could get in for a tour if they offer such a thing.
    They do offer tours Monday thru Friday. Just call em in advance and set up a tour. Most likely you'll either get with Alex Hoskins or whoever took over his position when he moved up. Sometimes Chad McLean if he's in. It's pretty cool to see how everything is made start to finish.

Ringer

got my new ball drilled last night. I know for most of you this is not really a big event but this is new for me. I went to my local shop and it was a fantastic experience. I was talked through every step and was explained every step. I was surprised when he was able to take care of the drilling right then. my son and I were invited in the back to watch everything. and was only charged 40 bucks for the driling and inserts. this is my first performance ball and fingertip grip. it seemed a little awkward at first but I think it fits pretty good and am looking forward to this afternoon trying out the pathogen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast