Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How many games a week do you bowl?

Ringer
    Chats: 0

OHH I feel as sick day coming on, as soon as I get my new ball drilled. Sorry off subject. looks like I will have to get my bowling in when I can. saturdays are usually out of the question. it is usually hard to get a lane plus it costs more. sundays are better usually though. my local lanes run a youth special during the summer. 1 free game plus shoes. there are lots of big families with lots of kids here in utah so it is not uncommon then to see 1 family with two lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Oh I mentioned it. Also told him I was there to practice with the new ball I just got from HIS pro shop...lol. He isn't the PSO but he owns the place so....
    Okay good, I'd hate to see you pay more than you were supposed to. I just had a senior that didn't think to ask for a senior discount. It's one of those questions I don't like asking because it can easily offend people if they aren't 55+ but I did and ended up knocking his bill from $27 down to $12. He was VERY happy and wished he bowled more. He even tossed 5 bucks in the tip jar because of it and I didn't even serve him a drink. LOL I love happy customers!

High Roller

Just bowled 7 games. First one I only practiced 7 pins with my new Black Rhino Pearl. Real happy with it. I think my score was a 65 or something...lol. 2nd and 3rd were just trying different lines and different approaches. Last 4 games I went for scores with my goal being no opens. I have been having a bad issue with yanking the ball across my body. Been struggling with it for weeks. I start my approach with the ball by my hip slightly in from of my leg. What I found the 2nd to last game was if I started with the ball up by my chest I was much more consistent. I used to bowl this way but a few years before I quit I went to the lower start to try to slow my speed. The last 2 games I hit my mark about 95% of the time (as opposed to about 50% before). I did struggle with my speed though. My speed is normally around 16.7 according to our sensors. With this new stance I was anywhere from 16.2 to 17.2. Very inconsistent speed. Most of my hits were slightly light and left a bunch of 7's but if I moved left at all I hit high and got splits. Had 5 splits in 4 games but scores were decent (187, 191, 174, 201). The 174 didn't make much sense. Had 4 strikes and 4 spares with 2 opens. Not bad shooting for only a 174. My opens were in the 2nd and 7th and spared in the 10th. And I followed my spares with a strike, 9, and 9 so not like I had low counts after my spares. Dunno. Oh well.
    I also tried rotating my wrist outward on my backswing to get more revs but that wasn't working so gave up on that. I did try different lines for my strike ball. I normally stand with my left foot just to the left of center and throw just inside the 2nd arrow (left handed). I stood way right and threw over the middle arrow and hit the pocket and also threw 3rd arrow from left and hit the pocket so those are options if things aren't working outside.

Find out Tuesday night if my new approach helps. If I can get my speed to be consistent I think I will be good to go.

Any thoughts? Any ideas for speed control?

Oh, and that off balance hop on my release...when I start with the ball higher I am much more balanced and smooth which leads me to believe I was trying to overpower the ball on release?

Find out Tuesday night if my new approach helps. If I can get my speed to be consistent I think I will be good to go.

Any thoughts? Any ideas for speed control?

Oh, and that off balance hop on my release...when I start with the ball higher I am much more balanced and smooth which leads me to believe I was trying to overpower the ball on release?
    Since I myself seem to be muscling it I can't really say. All I know is what I was taught about the ball speed is to let the ball swing like a pendulum on a clock on it's own and let your foot speed control the ball. Bringing it up higher makes it swing faster. I guess being told how and executing are two different things.

Logically if you are trying to muscle it you can get that hop. I know when I fire it purposely at a 7-10 I am far from balanced. Hopefully you have found a fix.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Since I myself seem to be muscling it I can't really say. All I know is what I was taught about the ball speed is to let the ball swing like a pendulum on a clock on it's own and let your foot speed control the ball. Bringing it up higher makes it swing faster. I guess being told how and executing are two different things.

Logically if you are trying to muscle it you can get that hop. I know when I fire it purposely at a 7-10 I am far from balanced. Hopefully you have found a fix.
    Well I was thinking about it and well.....now that I'm 49 and not 29, I probably need to muscle it more to get the same speed I had back then. I know I went with the lower ball placement to slow my speed about 20 years ago. Now my timing feels weird and I noticed when I do pull the ball my speed is higher. Like clockwork. My normal speed is about 16.7. Every time I pull the ball my speed is over 17.2. Today with the ball higher I was just letting the ball drop and let momentum takes its course. I may have still been muscling it a little which may be why my speed varied so much.

Another thing I was paying attention to...Somebody posted a video here the other day and in that video they talked about timing and how most pros have their arm parallel with the floor when their slide foot hits the floor. Hard to tell being by myself and no way to record a side view but seemed like I was pretty close to that. Before I don't think my arm ever came up high enough to be parallel. Actually just looked at my video from before and it wasn't getting that high (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iG8ZPK8g8k). Who knows, it might not have been today either but felt like it. All I know is it felt more natural with the ball up near my chest.

Our team is in 4th place in our division (we have 51 wins with 2 teams ahead of us with 52 wins. First place has 64 wins so won't catch them). With me having the lowest average on the team and bowling about 30 pins lower than I think I am capable of I feel I can have the biggest impact on winning games the rest of the season so I need to get my head out of my butt and figure this out.

Open to suggestions anyone!!! lol

Here is a link to our league standings if anyone is interested. We are Sims Bar (I am Danny). http://simslanes.com/Portals/0/Leagu...=1521231621410

High Roller

Crap....just realized I hijacked this thread. Sorry OP....lol. Will start my own

Crap....just realized I hijacked this thread. Sorry OP....lol. Will start my own
    LOL I'm the OP and I don't care, hijack away. God knows I do it enough.

Currently in no leagues, that'll change this summer, but I typically practice anywhere between 4-9 games a week. I tend to bowl 2 or 3 games each time depending on how much time I have.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234