Thread: New release....to change or not to change?

Chats: 0

Default New release....to change or not to change?

As I said in the post with my critiqued video I'm going to give the "new release" a try. The video Bowl posted about it makes it look pretty simple to learn. I know things aren't always as they seem and I'm sure it's not simple. Youtube always makes things look easier than they are. This isn't "how to pick a lock using a paperclip" though. This is far more complicated. Especially since I've been doing things the way I have been climbing up to 4 decades. I'm worried that it's going to trash my game in the process.

My question is... you guys that converted to the new release, have you ever had an instance where you reverted to your old one because of the lane conditions or for any reason for that matter? When you did that, were you successful or did learning the new release make you unable to execute your old one properly anymore? Have any of you just went back and stayed with your old way? I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision here.

My normal release now isn't perfect as Bowl said I'm a little late and I hit up on the ball. In all fairness it's worked quite well for me over the years. Even my accuracy is getting like the old days. Although I have no established league average right now since coming back but averaging all my score sheets since (excluding drills) I'm at 221. I'm trying to figure out if I should just try to stop hitting up and get my timing straight or just start fresh with the new release? I'm all for learning new things I just don't want to learn bad habits and ruin what I already know. My problem is I think too much and now I'm on the fence here.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 03-14-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Chats: 0

I would do what would make you happiest when you succeed.

Chats: 32

The big change will be timing. The release your using now works with slightly late timing fine. The modern release requires early timing to be effective. It's a big change and will take a while to master.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Learning new things, despite the old adage that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, is possible at any age. I would at least give it a try.
    John