Thread: Blue Oyster Cult

Chats: 0

Default Blue Oyster Cult

Last night at work we had Blue Oyster Cult in concert upstairs in what is our movie theater / stage. They were expecting to sell out all 1,000 seats. Sadly they only sold 400. Tickets were $80. I was like WHAT!? 80 bucks to see them? Are they still that popular and are they worth 80 bucks to see? I grew up during their popularity but haven't thought about them in years. Would you pay that to see them?

From the people who came down after they said they performed great and the whole show was good. As much as I like classic rock there are only a handful that I really still like enough to go buy tickets to see. BOC isn't really one of them. To me they are more of an Octoberfest type band anymore. Not saying they are bad at all, I think they are great so don't get me wrong. Now if they sold tickets to Bon Jovi for 80 bucks it would have sold out in 2 minutes.

High Roller

Not me. I saw Quiet Riot around 1991 or so after their big hits. They were playing at a large bar (maybe 300 people there). I think I paid $20 to get in. Probably works out to about $40 or so today. Actually went up on stage after it was over to talk to them and their manager about playing at my bar but they were headed into the studio to record a new album. No idea what their charge would have been but I would guess around $10k or so? We had a very good local band here in the late 80's early 90's called Triple XXX. I heard they charged $10k for a night but who knows. They were one of the best I heard locally. I graduated with one of the founding members of Buckcherry (Keith Nelson) and I used to watch his old band back then and they were nowhere close to Triple XXX. Another local I see once in awhile is Donnie Iris. I saw him in July and I think it was $25/person. But he lives pretty close to me so I see him around town once in awhile. But he doesn't have the following of a BOC but there are a lot of locals that follow him.

My son's girlfriends Dad plays in a Zeppelin tribute band and they are VERY good. Close your eyes and you'd swear they were the real deal. Now them I would pay to see, not 80 bucks but whatever they charge they put on a heck of a show. Bad thing is, they live in Michigan so I have to go there to see them. Good thing is, I don't have to pay a cent and we are given the VIP treatment.

They are the ones that came out to visit right after Christmas that got me back into bowling. We have a piano in the house that was here when we moved in. None of us know how to play it and once in a while the kids beat on the keys or the cat walks over them. That's the only sound I ever heard come out of it. Her dad sat down and started jamming out Stairway and I couldn't believe that sound was coming out of it. He played a bunch of tunes on it and it was beyond awesome. I thought the piano was a pos until I heard that. As it turns out it's great and perfectly in tune, go figure. He's got a show coming up at the end of the month, I'd like to go see them play but we likely aren't going to be able to go. Things are still a bit tight and I don't want to take the time off work just yet.

Ringer

I would have a hard time justifying paying that much for anyone except someone I was just dying to see. I cannot afford concerts much anymore. the last one I had a two for 1 british pink floyd so i got two tickets for 50 bucks. they were awesome but there are very few I would pay even this much for.

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    I would have a hard time justifying paying that much for anyone except someone I was just dying to see. I cannot afford concerts much anymore. the last one I had a two for 1 british pink floyd so i got two tickets for 50 bucks. they were awesome but there are very few I would pay even this much for.
    Apparently there were 400 people with money burning a hole in their pockets LOL

High Roller

Here is a link to Triple XXX if anyone is interested. They had their own album with originals but did some good covers too. They won a battle of the bands in Detroit and were sponsored by Budweiser. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMoAhiiwow. The singer (Tim Aymar) had an awesome voice. He went on to other bands and I heard he did pretty good.

Keith from Buckcherry was in a band called Stone Mona but I can't find anything on them. They were pretty good but Triple XXX ruled the local band scene back then.