Thread: Worked the "portable bar" tonight

Chats: 0

Default Worked the "portable bar" tonight

Talk about getting thrown in the fire LOL They set up a portable bar in our game room tonight. It's kinda cool and kinda sucks at the same time. The amount if liquor is of course limited and only one beer tap. It's all working out of bins filled with various beers and ice. No fancy touch screen, No credit card machine, not even a calculator. I had to keep a tally sheet of everything I sold and remember prices from the top of my head.

I had at least 100 people to serve and of course everyone comes up at once. Having to do all the math in my head and keep track of everything was definitely a challenge. Especially when someone comes up and orders 10 drinks at once. I was amazed how many people asked for the one thing I didn't have which was water of all things. LOL As it turns out it was a test on my abilities so I found out after I was done. I cringed counting the drawer figuring I was going to be way off somewhere. Somehow and I don't know how I was exact to the dollar.

When I finished up boss said I passed with flying colors and he was amazed how I didn't have to bug him once beginning to end, no complaints from anyone and even a few compliments. It was hectic for a bit but it was fun. Time flew by. The big upside was I didn't have to split the tips with anyone, whatever I made went right to me. I did well enough tonight to be able to get my new 3 ball bag. The more I work there the more I enjoy it. My wife stopped up before I got off to have a beer so I punched out and had a drink myself with her which is very rare. Great night!

Ringer

it really sounds like you are making a name for yourself at this house. top notch bar tender, up and coming mechanic, customer service guru.

Pin Crusher

How many lanes does this place have?
    How many leagues do they have?
    Where is the house located?

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    it really sounds like you are making a name for yourself at this house. top notch bar tender, up and coming mechanic, customer service guru.
    LMAO, I wouldn't call my bar tending top notch. I never even made a bloody Mary or Amaretto stone sour until yesterday but I appreciate the compliment. Service with a smile, professional appearance, good jokes and conversation go a long way for bar tending. The drinks could suck and people will still leave good tips and be happy. It's more about personality than skill. If you're a jerk and making the perfect drink your sure to get stiffed.

Customer service I've been doing my entire career. I had to do it every day at the telephone company. Every customer was angry when I arrived because their stuff was broke. Over time I was able to turn them around to being happy before I left if I fixed their stuff or not plus made them feel like an arse for being a jerk when I got there. A bowling center is easy. People don't generally arrive angry so keeping them happy is much simpler. Then again, there is always "That guy" to deal with LOL

Mechanic is probably the biggest challenge. So so many things to learn and I haven't even scratched the surface. The meat and potatoes of that will happen in the summer when the leagues end. Right now it's all a matter of keeping them going however you have to do it to make it through. Come summer we can put a pair at a time out of service for a week at a time if we have to. Leagues will be few and small and primarily open bowlers and parties so a pair won't be a big loss. Then we can really get into major overhauls on stuff. I'm looking forward to it. Soon they guys will be coming to cut the lanes with their big machines. I can't wait to see that in action! I look forward to being the first to throw a game on nice fresh lanes with brand new pins and everything nice and straight. Well, at least within tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    How many lanes does this place have?
    How many leagues do they have?
    Where is the house located?
    There is only 12 lanes at this time, it's been a bowling center since the late 40's from what they tell me. There are plans for expansion soon. So far I've heard different stories from management on how many lanes. It seems to change daily. One day it's 4 lanes, another day it's an additional 12. Sometimes it's 6 more next to the current ones and other times it's 12 more upstairs. I'll just have to wait and see what actually happens. I'm of course hoping for 12 more. The other thing is what they are going to have for a surface, wood like the current ones or synthetic. I'm hoping for all wood, there are a ton of synthetic houses around and 1/2 the lanes wood and 1/2 being synthetic would be just stupid.

We have quite a few leagues, none sanctioned. Some are weekly, some are bi-weekly and others monthly. I haven't worked a day where at least one didn't come in. Some days they are all day. I don't have a number for you though. When we don't have leagues there are parties. Yesterday we had the Animal Cruelty Society come in for a charity event. They booked all 12 lanes for 4 hours and they brought dogs for adoption. It's an odd place to be honest. Most days we are bursting at the seems from open to close and other days tumbleweeds blow across the lanes. It's always different, that's why it's interesting I guess.

The specifics of where I won't post but PM you. I don't know if the board would allow specifics and I don't know how management would feel about me posting it either.

Pin Crusher

Thanks Phonetec I got your message. I was just wondering what part of the world you were in. Your profile does not have anything. Good luck in turning you new job into a career. Hope you get enough experience to get a job if it don't work out there. The bowling world could use some good mechanics.

Yeah, you'd think I would have put something in my profile by now. DOH! I'll do that tonight, thanks for the reminder. Well, if it turns into a "career" remains to be seen. At some point the $ is going to have to change a bit for the better. I think I had more taxes taken out of my telecom checks than I net doing this. Since I came in green I can't really complain at this point. Otherwise I'd have no problem doing this for the rest of my life.