Thread: New bowling ball, drilled wrong?

Default New bowling ball, drilled wrong?

Hey guys I recently got a new bowling ball. Brunswick Black Quantum, 15 Pounds. I’ve used it for about 10 or so games now and it’s been messy... It doesn’t hit the pocket and I have to drastically reduce my ball speed to get it anywhere near to the pocket. Any suggestions? My PSO drilled it, but he drilled it in that certain way because he thought I had excessive revs (which I don’t). Once again any suggestions. I’ll post pictures when I’m home.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2rsSK

Here’s a link to the picture of my bowling ball flare + pin placement. Please let me know what you think.
    Thank you
    -Chris

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by larossho View Post
    Hey guys I recently got a new bowling ball. Brunswick Black Quantum, 15 Pounds. I’ve used it for about 10 or so games now and it’s been messy... It doesn’t hit the pocket and I have to drastically reduce my ball speed to get it anywhere near to the pocket. Any suggestions? My PSO drilled it, but he drilled it in that certain way because he thought I had excessive revs (which I don’t). Once again any suggestions. I’ll post pictures when I’m home.
    To help everyones replies, what is your speed and Revs? where are you playing on the lane? and if you know it what kind of lane conditions are there?

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

https://imgur.com/gallery/2rsSK

Here’s a link to the picture of my bowling ball flare + pin placement. Please let me know what you think.
    Thank you
    -Chris

Looking at the picture, first off your rolling over your thumbhole and clipping the finger.

Tracking over the thumbhole happens a lot because you turn the ball too early and that moves the track up and onto the thumb hole. Releasing the thumb late also causes the ball to track over the thumb.

Not knowing where your PAP is, the layout looks pretty standard. Pin above ring finger with the CG kicked off to the side a little, It's almost carbon copy of the Brunswick drillsheet Length & Backend layout for a high track.

Which you can see here
    http://www.bowlersmart.com/bowling-b...ymmetric_3.JPG

Looking at all the oil on the ball I think you need more surface, To Get it to read the lane a bit earlier.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    To help everyones replies, what is your speed and Revs? where are you playing on the lane? and if you know it what kind of lane conditions are there?
    Usually 14 mph and I’m counting 13 revs. This was today on a typical house shot. Would you reccomend to resurface the ball then? This is a brand new ball. I wouldn’t want to plug it at all:/

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Usually 14 mph and I’m counting 13 revs. This was today on a typical house shot. Would you reccomend to resurface the ball then? This is a brand new ball. I wouldn’t want to plug it at all:/
    This is just a estimate, But at 14 mph with 13 revolutions is in the 250-300 rpm (rev rate) range. That would make you Rev dominate, which I believe is what the PSO meant when he said you had "excessive revs".

Yes, adjusting your surface texture is the first place to start. The OOB is 500 Siaair/Crown Factory Compound, I might would try hitting it with a 2000 pad to knock the polish off. See how it does.

Also look at where your playing the lanes, the kind of line your playing. Plus work on your release.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    This is just a estimate, But at 14 mph with 13 revolutions is in the 250-300 rpm (rev rate) range. That would make you Rev dominate, which I believe is what the PSO meant when he said you had "excessive revs".

Yes, adjusting your surface texture is the first place to start. The OOB is 500 Siaair/Crown Factory Compound, I might would try hitting it with a 2000 pad to knock the polish off. See how it does.

Also look at where your playing the lanes, the kind of line your playing. Plus work on your release.
    Thank you my friend!! I will do that soon. Sorry I forgot to add in the last message that I put my left foot behind the second dot from the left and I try to get the ball between 2-3 arrow from the right!

Chats: 32

I'd agree with bowl adding some surface should help. You may want to move a couple boards right with your feet and target (if your a righty). You maybe gripping the ball to hard causing the late thumb release try to soften your grip pressure some.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I'd agree with bowl adding some surface should help. You may want to move a couple boards right with your feet and target (if your a righty). You maybe gripping the ball to hard causing the late thumb release try to soften your grip pressure some.
    Yes! I will do that soon. I’m gonna see if I could do that today or maybe Wednesday. Our PSO comes whenever he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I also forgot to let bowl and you know that the ball hardly goes brooklyn. When I throw it it usually hits the 3 and mostly the 6 pin. In that area!