Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ball cleaning stuff....lol

Chats: 0

From what I've seen alcohol is just as good as the sg/alcohol mix, but a lot of people use the mix and have for years. One thing to note technically the mix is illegal to use, but nobody is going say anything (except that one time out of a million when it will really matter).

Dang, I thought it was approved for anytime use. Well forget that idea, I'm not gonna use it again. I totally got that one wrong, I gotta review that USBC list again, I saved it. Better yet, I'll print it.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    From what I've seen alcohol is just as good as the sg/alcohol mix, but a lot of people use the mix and have for years. One thing to note technically the mix is illegal to use, but nobody is going say anything (except that one time out of a million when it will really matter).

Dang, I thought it was approved for anytime use. Well forget that idea, I'm not gonna use it again. I totally got that one wrong, I gotta review that USBC list again, I saved it. Better yet, I'll print it.
    Alcohol and simple green are approved individually, the mix of the two though has not been tested. so it is nether legal or illegal to use. so you err on the side caution and treat it as not approved anytime.

But as I said its been used for years and I've never heard of anyone being called out for using it

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

With my luck I'd be that guy that gets called out. Where I work anyone who says anything can go pound sand, even if I shot 900 it's not certified anyway. Anywhere else I'll just get the "official" bowling stuff I guess.

Chats: 32

My favorite is the Valentino Remedy RX but there are a million good ones. There are a million opinions on ball cleaners find something you think works well and use it. Don't go down the road of using unapproved cleaners the odds of getting called on it are few or damaging a ball is probably unlikely but I've seen people do crazy stuff.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Cheaters only cheat because they aren't good enough to do it without cheating. Not my style at all, I'm glad my ignorance was pointed out here and not on the lanes I would have felt humiliated. A result of pinching a penny until it squeaks to save for new equipment. Now that I paid for one new ball I'll bite the bullet and get the good stuff. Working at a bowling center is a great job that I love, it's not exactly big money though. I gotta get wifey a job!

Times how they have changed. I remember when just alcohol, a scotch brite pad and the good old Luster King were the main options. The long cycle on the Luster King was being extravagant. LOL It was like getting your car detailed instead of merely washed. Plus, even the pro's had a roll of electrical tape for their thumb holes. Now there are infinite options for cleaners and a bazillion kinds of tape. Yep, times have changed.

Chats: 2

I use Storm Reacta Foam with a sponge from Bowlingball.com. Works quite well. Used to use Monster Tac, but just seemed like I was using windex and it didn't get things very clean.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Ringer

so is the ratio for the SG/ alcohol a 50/50 mix?

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    so is the ratio for the SG/ alcohol a 50/50 mix?
    50/50 I think is what it is. I made mine probably 70/30 using more alcohol less SG. No real reason, just the way I poured it at the time. Since you can use either one straight up on the ball it really doesn't matter, it's not going to hurt anything either way.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    50/50 I think is what it is. I made mine probably 70/30 using more alcohol less SG. No real reason, just the way I poured it at the time. Since you can use either one straight up on the ball it really doesn't matter, it's not going to hurt anything either way.
    Unless somebody breaks out the rulebook

It does seem silly that both are approved anytime cleaners but mixed illegal. I'm no chemist but I can't believe any extraordinary chemical reaction is happening here in the mix that's gonna change a thing but I really am under qualified in that to say. It's just a matter of a technicality until the USBC tests it and approves it. From the way it sounds you could legally clean the ball with alcohol, dry it off then spray it with SG and wipe it off and that's legal. It's splitting hairs but until the USBC says otherwise I won't use the mix, wifey can use it on the kitchen counters or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast