Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update since video critique

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    The purpose of the "cross-over" step is to get the ball side hip and leg out of the way of the swing path. USBC coaching materials imply that every bowler needs a cross-over step. In fact there are some excellent bowlers, like Carolyn Dorin-Ballard who do not use a cross-over step.

On a cross alley spare the ball stays in the oil longer and if given an end over end roll is not going to be slowed as much by the friction as if it were given a lot of axis rotation.
    Since I don't whack my leg or hip with the ball, hand or arm like ever, would this be something that I need to do then? Looking at the video I seem to naturally tilt my hip and leg out of the way already.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Since I don't whack my leg or hip with the ball, hand or arm like ever, would this be something that I need to do then? Looking at the video I seem to naturally tilt my hip and leg out of the way already.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I haven't looked at your video but if your hip and leg is not causing swing issues, then I would say don't worry about it. There are plenty of good bowlers who don't use a cross over step.

High Roller

I seem to drift slightly right mid-way through my approach but end up at about the same place I started so seem to have a drunk mans approach...lol. Never noticed it until I video'd myself. No crossover her but I have a 4 step approach. My first step is straight (left foot) 2nd step is a few inches to the right from where it should be. My 3rd step is offset too then my last step crosses over in front of my left foot to slide. It's in the same line as where I start. Not sure why I drift

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I haven't looked at your video but if your hip and leg is not causing swing issues, then I would say don't worry about it. There are plenty of good bowlers who don't use a cross over step.

Here is the link to the video if your interested
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ves...ature=youtu.be

I bowled 3 games after hours last night and man did I do horrible! I struggled to shoot 170's all three games. I couldn't stay balanced at the line and I couldn't get my ball to do anything, it was hitting the pocket like a marshmallow. 10 pin 10 pin 10 pin 7 pin 4 pin and I missed a bunch of them. I tried 3 different lines and nothing worked. I couldn't buy a solid strike, just slop and brooklyns. After the 3rd game which I shouldn't have even started I closed up shop. Worst I've bowled since I came back. Glad it was just me and one of the cleaning crew in the building, it was embarrassing.

I was just out of sync and had a bad night, it happens. I was tired and not feeling well though so I wasn't 100% into it. I just like to bowl when it's so quiet in the place you could hear a mouse fart, it's not like that often. I think I need to re-evaluate my ball speed though, it's becoming more of a handicap than advantage. I'll just put last night behind me and do better next time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12