Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any real downside to buying a used ball?

Chats: 0

Default Any real downside to buying a used ball?

Pro shop mark up is way more than I can afford. I don't want to go in and waste his time trying out balls if I don't intend on making a purchase. So instead, I've bought a couple of used balls with various playing characteristics to experiment with. I only use the 2 fingertips so span doesn't matter (for now). As someone just getting into the sport is there any reason why this wouldn't work out fine? I figured if I liked the ball I could always get it plugged/drilled for my hand later right? Any concern about the wear and tear on a ball?

Chats: 32

As you say if your thumbless then span isn't a concern. As long as the holes for the finger grips are the same size then you can switch them out not sure how close they have to be. There is a definite concern on many games are on a used ball. Some balls have been known to die quickly others last for years. I'd be real hesitant to purchase anything other than a newer release if it's not pretty new your looking at needing to resurface it switching the finger grips and resurface probably run you $40-$50 dollars. If your a newer bowler I'd probably rather have a new entry level ball (especially if your thumbless or two handed) like a Rhino or Cyclone that fits and I know it's condition than I would have three balls that are used myself the cost should be similar as you should be able to buy a entry level reactive drilled up for $120-$150
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

OK, thanks. The balls I've been purchasing have been out for a bit but I'm able to get them for around 50-60$ shipped. So without resurfacing they won't really give me an accurate idea of what a new ball would be like?

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    OK, thanks. The balls I've been purchasing have been out for a bit but I'm able to get them for around 50-60$ shipped. So without resurfacing they won't really give me an accurate idea of what a new ball would be like?
    Who knows? It could have been used 5 games and put in the closet and rolls like new. It could have been rolled for 100 games and never resurface you just never know. Really the only way I'd buy if it was a local staffer I know or something like that. If your bought 3 you could easily have bought a new ball for what you spent. A newer bowler doesn't need multiple balls one and a spare will be more than enough to get you started. What did you purchase?

Current arsenal

Bowler

Knowing what I know now, I would honestly get a plastic ball if you’re just doing open bowling. Everything else is too aggressive for these house patterns that I am seeing these days. Pick a weight between 14-16 and run with it. I like the DV8 Polyester that comes with a tote bag on bowlingball.com

High Roller

I just got a Brunswick Black Rhino Pearl brand new from my PSO out the door for $130. It's on the weaker side compared to my Black Widow Gold because I wanted something softer that I could use for spares. It has a lazy arc the whole length. I'm a lefty and use it for my 7 pins. Works great.

http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/bal...o-black-pearl/

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Who knows? It could have been used 5 games and put in the closet and rolls like new. It could have been rolled for 100 games and never resurface you just never know. Really the only way I'd buy if it was a local staffer I know or something like that. If your bought 3 you could easily have bought a new ball for what you spent. A newer bowler doesn't need multiple balls one and a spare will be more than enough to get you started. What did you purchase?
    Got a Hammer-Blue Hammer for free. It looks like it has seen quite a few rounds but it performs significantly better than the house balls with the same rolling style. I have a Pyramid Force ball coming as well as a Brunswick Mastermind Strategy. Found a DV8 Grudge ball that looks good for 40$ shipped that I have my eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Knowing what I know now, I would honestly get a plastic ball if you’re just doing open bowling. Everything else is too aggressive for these house patterns that I am seeing these days. Pick a weight between 14-16 and run with it. I like the DV8 Polyester that comes with a tote bag on bowlingball.com
    With the style I bowl (as of now) I think I see much different reactions than normal. I'm not saying I'm doing it right but for example I spin a house ball a lot. Sometimes too much when trying to pick up spares.

Depends on the blue hammer if it's an original it dates back to the early 80's and is urethane. The modern one is a urethane/resin blend and is considered to be pretty mild.
    The force was released in august of last year and is considered to be a heavy oil ball. I've never seen one roll
    The mastermind strategy wans released July of last year and was a medium to medium heavy oil ball. Seen a lot of these on the lanes when they were new not too many now I don't think it was as popular as most of the mastermind series balls.
    The Grudge is another heavy oil ball January last year released.

If you like how the blue hammer rolls for you any of those balls is going to be way too strong. The only one I would even consider trying to use on a house shot is the Strategy and I'd suggest changing the surface on that most likely.

Current arsenal

Depends on the blue hammer if it's an original it dates back to the early 80's and is urethane. The modern one is a urethane/resin blend and is considered to be pretty mild.
    The force was released in august of last year and is considered to be a heavy oil ball. I've never seen one roll
    The mastermind strategy wans released July of last year and was a medium to medium heavy oil ball. Seen a lot of these on the lanes when they were new not too many now I don't think it was as popular as most of the mastermind series balls.
    The Grudge is another heavy oil ball January last year released.

If you like how the blue hammer rolls for you any of those balls is going to be way too strong. The only one I would even consider trying to use on a house shot is the Strategy and I'd suggest changing the surface on that most likely.
    I'm actually hoping for a little more hook but with power. The Hammer turns over less than the house balls for me but it hits harder than anything I've ever thrown before. Hoping for a little more spin with these but you may be right and I've bitten off more than I can chew

But if nothing else this will hopefully be a good lesson on what I should or shouldn't buy new in the future.

Haha just checked and someone swooped in and grabbed the Grudge ball.

Finally got to roll the Pyramid Force ball last night. You were right, it was too much for the low oil conditions we saw. I would say though it seemed like the oil conditions were lighter than normal though as every ball we threw seemed to spin more than normal.

I really did like it though. I guess this is where I need to learn more of the terminology to describe how it rolled. Really consistent turn for most of the length with a little more at the end. Very strong through the pins. At least that's my perception. That's the one thing I've noticed when spinning a house ball vs higher quality balls is how much harder the quality balls seem to hit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast