Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer leagues?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I usually just get the AMF\Bowlmore summer pass. Like MattMC82 said, its a great deal. 3 games a day until Labor day usually. If I do bowl a summer league, I do a sports shot league just to see where I'm at with my bowling on a tougher shot. Also its a short season so I don't have a 35 week reminder how bad a bowler I really am when I'm not on a THS.

Chats: 4

I really can not see much of a difference between the fall and the
    summer league lane conditions. I do know that they change the
    blend of oil used on the lanes I believe it is a little bit thicker oil
    to combat the heat to keep the lanes from breaking down and
    drying out too fast.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

In a Siri voice "Here is what I found on da web" I didn't test the links in the post so I'm not sure if they are still valid.

Some info

From the Brunswick Synthetic lane care manual:

Atmospheric Conditions
    It is important that proper climate control is maintained throughout the center.
    Indoor humidity is a large factor in lane conditions and approach sliding characteristics.
    A relative humidity level of 45% ± 5%, and a constant temperature
    that is comfortable for the bowlers should be maintained.

Atmospheric conditions affect the approach surface. Sudden changes in temperature
    of the lane surface or the conditioned air flowing across it can cause water
    to condense on the approach surface. Relative humidity in a bowling center
    should be maintained at a constant level no higher than 50%. The more constant
    the temperature of the lane surface and the air in the building, the better. A
    relative humidity of 45% ± 5% is ideal at a constant indoor temperature that is
    comfortable for the bowlers, should be maintained.

also see:

The Weather’s Changing…Are Your Lane Conditions?
    http://www.kegel.net/V3/ArticleDetails.aspx?ID=72

Lane Conditions and Cold Snaps
    http://www.kegel.net/V3/ArticleDetails.aspx?ID=73

Weather, Topography, and Ball Motion
    http://www.kegel.net/V3/ArticleDetails.aspx?ID=75

10 Things That Everyone Should Know About Lane Conditioners
    http://www.kegel.net/V3/ArticleDetails.aspx?ID=6

The main affect the weather has is on the oil and it's viscosity. The cooler the lane surface is when oiled, the more the oil has a chance to bond onto the lane properly. When oil is applied to a cooler lane surface, the oil is kept from migrating, due to the disruption of heat. An oil pattern applied to the cooler lane surface will be truer to the intended lane pattern characteristics..

A lot of house's change the pattern lengths trying to compensate for it.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 03-22-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I would think you're gonna have more issues with the approach in the heat and humidity making them more tacky
    It depends. In my experience wood approaches are not a problem very often. I've seen synthetic approaches so bad that I have actually threw one ball walked back got regular shoes back on packed my stuff up and left.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    It depends. In my experience wood approaches are not a problem very often. I've seen synthetic approaches so bad that I have actually threw one ball walked back got regular shoes back on packed my stuff up and left.
    Wow that is bad. I'll have to claim ignorance on the approaches. I know if there is a spill or we have to wipe off foot prints from an idiot walking on the lanes that's one thing. Otherwise we really don't do anything with them thus far since I've worked there. We have a cleaning crew that comes in after close at a million o'clock but I've never been there to see what they do. So I don't know if cleaning them is something they do or not. If people don't complain then I don't think they are cleaned.

I have although taken it upon myself to clean under the ball return lazy Susan because frankly they were gross. I told the boss, I'm gonna go clean that and the both the top and bottom racks. I couldn't deal with what they looked like, my OCD again. I told the boss that's the things that people will notice and put on Yelp reviews if they are disgusting like they were. I think that's what sold him on the idea. Since it's been done regularly. When bowlers leave I always wipe the return down in addition to the control pads where people type in their names which I doubt anyone else does. Too many fingers on them for my taste so I ALWAYS wipe them down. I don't even wanna think about the fingers that have been in house balls, ICK!

I'm actually considering a summer league as well. The last summer league I did was brutal, the A/C barely worked and about 2 weeks in the owner cleaned the floors (not the approach) and whatever he used to clean them stuck to the floor, got on peoples shoes and then the approaches. They had to close the house and re-clean the floors and all of the approaches.

Since then new owners bought the place and closed it for about 6 months. New HVAC system, new bar and updated the scoring systems for all the lanes. Might be worth another shot.

I did confirm last night that our approaches actually are cleaned every night. I had no idea but the cleaning crew does it. One of them came in at 11:30 pm which is unusual for them to come in that early. They have an approach cleaning solution and it's in a device that's like a cross between a Swiffer and a steam Shark just a larger commercial version. It explains why all the crud was under the ball return, it can't get under there and likely pushes stuff under them. I assumed because of what was under there they weren't cleaned, I'm happy they do it. It explains why I never get complaints of any problems with people sticking or slipping on the approach. When I bowl there I never have any issues with them.

Chats: 10

I’m doing a summer league again as well. More so to stay fresh. Not a serious league, more or a fun league. They provide tickets to bowl during open bowlin as well and provides. A few drinks each night. However, they do oil lanes every night. Real nice house that takes care of things year round.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

My son and I plan on joining a summer league. It'll be our first experience in a league and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm too much of a newbie at all this to really notice lane conditions being different.

High Roller

Looks like I'm in. It's a 3 man team but only 2 bowl each night so you rotate. 4 game series. Bowling with 2 of my teammates that are father/son. Been bowling with the father as a teammate since 1988 minus my 15 year break. My main objective is to continue to get better. Hate to take 4 months off after just starting back up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast