Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer leagues?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default Summer leagues?

Well looks like I may be joining a summer league this year. I normally wouldn't but since I'm trying to get back in my groove after a 15 year absence and I feel I am just starting to get back on track I don't want to stop now for 3 months.

What should I expect as far as lane conditions with the higher temps and humidity? Will the lanes break down quicker? Be inconsistent? Anything I can do to try to alleviate these issues?

I haven't been on a summer league in decades. From what I remember the lanes were always pretty dry because they were oiled less frequently. I suppose it could have been weather conditions, I didn't know enough then to say.

I'm not sure if we will change the oil frequency or volume in the summer or not. I'd be happy to ask. I can ask my PSO too to see what his house does, and compare notes.

Chats: 32

It depends on the house. I've seen some here who try to only oil every other day or not put out fresh oil for summer leagues. I have some hoses here that treat it just like fall. I do think the warmer weather makes the lanes transition a little faster. If you bowl in a older house be prepared for the air conditioning to be on the poor side which sucks
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowler

If you’re trying to get some games in on the cheap in the summer AMF/Bruswick has a deal where it’s 45 bucks and you can bowl 3 games every day during certain hours from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Also, I went to Baden Bowl a couple weeks ago. Reminded me a lot of your house. It was the closest alley to me with open bowling on a Friday.

High Roller

A bunch of our guys are in leagues at Baden Bowl too. Not sure if I ever bowled there.

Not really looking to get cheap games in as much as just getting games in. If I'm not in a league I probably won't bowl at all in the summer. Too busy with other stuff.

Pin Crusher

Our lanes are oiled every day all summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    It depends on the house. I've seen some here who try to only oil every other day or not put out fresh oil for summer leagues. I have some hoses here that treat it just like fall. I do think the warmer weather makes the lanes transition a little faster. If you bowl in a older house be prepared for the air conditioning to be on the poor side which sucks
    It's barely even spring and I can tell already our AC sucks. In the short time since I started it has died twice already. I hope when the do the remodel they do some upgrades on the AC. 3 ceiling fans and a separate air circulation system with a de-humidifier isn't gonna cut it on their own. The fact our lanes are underground technically a large basement should help but so far not so good.

Ringer

I believe wood lanes dry out (or soak in) faster than synthetic. this may have an impact esp in summer.

I would think you're gonna have more issues with the approach in the heat and humidity making them more tacky

High Roller

Could be. Our lanes are all synthetic. Just curious because I heard people complain about the end lanes being very hard to bowl on because of the doors being right there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast