Thread: Differences from one proshop operator to another

Chats: 256

Default Differences from one proshop operator to another

I cannot stress enough that you need to have a proshop operator that can drill you a ball the same way each and every time. I went in recently to a very well respected local proshop operator to get my fit checked again, I had changed my span back in October of 17 at the suggestion of my prior operator. Have had issues with thumb releasing and also noticed my finger grips wearing pretty quickly in a certain spot as well.

Of the 4 new balls I have had drilled since October, and all of my prior equipment that I had plugged and re-drilled to match my new span they were all slightly difference from each other. Main differences were pitches. Some thumbs were .250 off of another. Not sure if the guy I was going to just couldn't be as precise, but my new guy is definitely a perfectionist.

He set me up with a random ball he had in his shop to start to get me tweaked and corrected. Rolled the ball in practice today and my goodness, what a difference in feel and just how the ball was coming off my hand. I didn't need to hold onto the ball, it just stayed on my hand until the bottom of my swing and the thumb came off super cleanly. Hadn't felt so good in quite some time. I felt that my revs had increased as well, but could just be a placebo of releasing correctly for a change.

If I can get this feel on all of my balls, I can only imagine how much better I will do when Fall leagues come back around. I will now spend all summer long getting my equipment tweaked and practicing.

Sorry for the long post.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I just started back after a 15 year break and bought a new ball in February. Feels great. I have no issues at all with how it feels. Bought another ball for spares (from the same PSO) and I have had trouble with the thumb hanging occasionally. Went back in 3 times to have him open up the thumb but still no better. Starting to think the pitch is off a little. He had my original ball there when he drilled the new one so not sure how they ended up different but they definitely aren't the same. I only use the spare ball for the 4, 7, and 8 so only about 5 times a night. I know the grips are a little tighter too and last week noticed after throwing it about 3 times in a row at 7's my fingertips were white. Going to have him put a little bigger grips in it next week.

Thinking about a thumb insert in both balls and while he is at it have him check that pitch and adjust it. I never used an insert in my thumb so never even considered it.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Adding video of some practice shots with the test ball, a Roto Grip Hustle:

Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I cannot stress enough that you need to have a proshop operator that can drill you a ball the same way each and every time. I went in recently to a very well respected local proshop operator to get my fit checked again, I had changed my span back in October of 17 at the suggestion of my prior operator. Have had issues with thumb releasing and also noticed my finger grips wearing pretty quickly in a certain spot as well.

Of the 4 new balls I have had drilled since October, and all of my prior equipment that I had plugged and re-drilled to match my new span they were all slightly difference from each other. Main differences were pitches. Some thumbs were .250 off of another. Not sure if the guy I was going to just couldn't be as precise, but my new guy is definitely a perfectionist.

He set me up with a random ball he had in his shop to start to get me tweaked and corrected. Rolled the ball in practice today and my goodness, what a difference in feel and just how the ball was coming off my hand. I didn't need to hold onto the ball, it just stayed on my hand until the bottom of my swing and the thumb came off super cleanly. Hadn't felt so good in quite some time. I felt that my revs had increased as well, but could just be a placebo of releasing correctly for a change.

If I can get this feel on all of my balls, I can only imagine how much better I will do when Fall leagues come back around. I will now spend all summer long getting my equipment tweaked and practicing.

Sorry for the long post.
    The thing that really sucks about this is if you have to go somewhere else to get you ball fixed correctly, your out both the amount you pay to have the ball drilled plus the cost to correct the mistakes of the first person. I really hate how shop owners do business, if he couldnt get it right he should have refunded some of your money. Just my humble opinion.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

We're lucky here in Missouri. I was went to Ray Orf's shop since I was 8 years old. It was and is "the place" to go for everything bowling. Been there since 1976 and always been family run. Now they are opening a second shop at my local lanes. Love these guys, they know bowling!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Completely agree vdub... although I live in Colorado now I still have all of my equipment drilled in Arizona just because I know it is going to be done correctly (not saying that there isn't a pro shop here that can do the job, just not going to risk it). Went though multiple shops in Phoenix/Tempe before I finally got the right person to do the work.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    The thing that really sucks about this is if you have to go somewhere else to get you ball fixed correctly, your out both the amount you pay to have the ball drilled plus the cost to correct the mistakes of the first person. I really hate how shop owners do business, if he couldnt get it right he should have refunded some of your money. Just my humble opinion.
    Completely right about that. $40 per ball to pitch plug. I've done 3 already and think may do one more. Then, just do replacements after that. Few balls that I don't use as often.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    Completely agree vdub... although I live in Colorado now I still have all of my equipment drilled in Arizona just because I know it is going to be done correctly (not saying that there isn't a pro shop here that can do the job, just not going to risk it). Went though multiple shops in Phoenix/Tempe before I finally got the right person to do the work.
    ALazySavage...what pro shop are you using?
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150