Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aiming-Is my technique odd?

Chats: 0

Default Aiming-Is my technique odd?

So I'm an avid golfer and pretty decent. When I aim in golf I pick a spot within a foot of the ball that becomes my line to play on. The ball and this little line are the focus through my swing.

So in bowling, I "aim" at a specific point just beyond the foul line. I use the dots and the boards as my guide and never look up until I've released the ball and follow it with my eyes.

Do most people aim at the arrows and throw at those? It feels odd to me, like trying to hit a ball while looking at the flag.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    So I'm an avid golfer and pretty decent. When I aim in golf I pick a spot within a foot of the ball that becomes my line to play on. The ball and this little line are the focus through my swing.

So in bowling, I "aim" at a specific point just beyond the foul line. I use the dots and the boards as my guide and never look up until I've released the ball and follow it with my eyes.

Do most people aim at the arrows and throw at those? It feels odd to me, like trying to hit a ball while looking at the flag.
    There are multiple aiming/targeting systems used,Aiming at the dots, the arrows, the breakpoint, the 3-point system, There's area bowling.

targeting at the arrows is probably still the most used by the casual or the general league bowlers. As you progress, a lot bowlers use multiple targets and visualize target lines.

Here Team USA assistant coach Bryan O'Keefe shares some tips for targeting. Such as how close or far away from the foul line you target affects your ball motion.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-11-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I prefer the dots as well. A lot of the instructional videos I've watched seems to focus or assume you're using the arrows. Example; you'll hear "move two boards left with your feet and one board left with your target". Unless you're playing straight up the lane one board left at the dots is a completely different line than one board left at the arrows.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post

Back when bowling balls did not hook very much, many if not most recreational bowlers aimed directly at the pins. The more your ball hooked, the more likely you were to use the arrows as a target.

The only “fault” that I find with your method is that the closer your lay down point, (or the point where your ball crosses the foul line) is to your target, the more consistent you have to be in hitting both spots. A very slight miss will result in a very big miss down lane.
    John

High Roller

I always use the arrows. Have since I was about 10
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    The only “fault” that I find with your method is that the closer your lay down point, (or the point where your ball crosses the foul line) is to your target, the more consistent you have to be in hitting both spots. A very slight miss will result in a very big miss down lane.
    I see what you're saying. I AM having a tough time hitting a consistent path right now.

I use the reflections of the pins on the lane; a variation of breakpoint bowling.

Many years ago I would use the distance around the arrows for targeting in bowling because that's what many of the better bowlers used in the leagues I was in at the time. Stayed with that for a long, long time.
    After a long layoff I finally decided to see what was more effective for me and much of the time I use the dots about 7 feet from the foul line to target for both first ball shots and for spares. I even went so far as to convert my targets at the arrows to targets at the dots using a spreadsheet.
    I've even gone so far as to convert my first ball shots using 2 and 1 moves to the dots instead. It's worked quite well. I'm often targeting half boards at a time on many of my shots and it hasn't caused any problem. With the shorter distance to the target I'm getting the ball into a decent roll a bit more quickly and it makes me feel like I'm hitting my target more often which I suppose is a confidence builder, too.
    Having a system that works for you is better than no system. Especially having a spare shot system is very important. It's nice to get up there and have confidence that you're going to get that ugly 1-2-10 spare or 2-7 or 3-10 baby split. Even getting the 4-9 as a righty or a 6-8 as a lefty is exciting to pick up.
    Have fun and good luck...
    Last edited by djp1080; 04-11-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Ringer

I have always just used the arrows, however all of these comments plus the video has given me a new perspective on the subject.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

SandBagger

I tried the arrows for about three months and found I could no longer bowl so I went back to my system. I visualize what I want the ball to do, trace it back to the foul line and pick a spot about three feet out. I look at that most of the way through my approach, and then I switch focus to my arm and watch that to make sure it goes through my target line. Using this method, I am much more consistent hitting the arrows than I am if I actually aim at the arrows.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast