Thread: Curiosity: Tom Smallwood's ball layout

Default Curiosity: Tom Smallwood's ball layout

I was on YouTube and watched a few of Tom Smallwood's matches and, in one, the commentator was discussing how his ball was drilled (many of you are already well-versed with how his ball is drilled half-thumb). Because he is a full-roller, I believe that his thumb is drilled near the pin to keep it from rolling over the thumb hole when he releases it.

However, here's my question. Would such an offset always result in a full roll or is it that, simply because he is typically a full roller, he had to match up this layout to his bowling style?

Chats: 2

Being that Tom is a full roller, he really only has one option when it comes to drilling a ball because of how he rolls it. While most people will track to the left of the fingers and thumb, full rollers track BETWEEN them. Because of this, you have to have the proper pin placement (for a right hander, it is in the area to the left of the thumb). Tom can't really adjust layouts. Tom's arsenal consists of different cores and covers to get the desired look.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    However, here's my question. Would such an offset always result in a full roll or is it that, simply because he is typically a full roller, he had to match up this layout to his bowling style?
    He has to match his layouts to his style, The layout doesn't cause you to be a full roller..

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    While most people will track to the left of the fingers and thumb, full rollers track BETWEEN them.
    Not all full rollers necessarily track between the finger and thumb holes.

Today there are basically two definitions of a full roller , the classic definition: A bowler whose track passes between the thumb and fingers and whose track measures the circumference of the ball.

And the more modern definition: A bowler whose track size is equal to or close to the circumference of the ball. (Meaning it can have a slight amount of tilt) regardless if it passes between the thumb and fingers or not .

The Modern Full roller is mentioned here:

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    He has to match his layouts to his style, The layout doesn't cause you to be a full roller..
    Thanks. I was intrigued by the layout. Personally, I don't know how effective I could be with it but, being "thumb-challenged", it caught my attention.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Yes but his approach is so straight. He only fades left a few arrows. Just kidding he has bowled that way for many years.

Chats: 0

Tom has bowled that way most his life, started that way when he was a kid. It's what he did to hook the ball. Next time I'm in the shop {only 7 miles. away} I can take pics of his layout. Has about 20-30 balls on the shop rack. Pins are all down next to the thumb on the left. When I 1st went there I tried buying a few as I thought they were used sitting there unplugged. Told No, those were the owners balls he uses on tour or league here when he's home.