Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The UNTHINKABLE happened and I'm out of commission for a bit!!

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jamoke View Post
    Holy crap! Sorry to hear of your mishap Phonetek, hope your back in action soon.
    Thank you Jamoke. Actually thank you everyone who's posted. I'm starting to feel like I have friends on here after only a few short months.

Ringer

well that bites, glad to hear that you handled it as well as you did. to your credit even though you were mad as hell you held back from doing what we all would think of doing. glad to hear your employer and fellow employees have your back.

Chats: 32

Well I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was. It always helps to remember real bowlers just say NO to cosmic bowling
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Well I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was. It always helps to remember real bowlers just say NO to cosmic bowling
    or we will have to stage an intervention.

I used to love cosmic bowling. Now I dread it. Too many people there just for fun and drinking.

Chats: 4

Phonetek so sorry to hear about your knee popping out of place I know
    how that feels I've had both of my knees knocked out of place several
    times back in my football playing days during school.

Now as for the eating and drinking in the bowlers pit area our center
    does not allow anyone to do that they have signs posted and they do
    enforce the rule thank goodness.

Back in my younger bowling days I done the faceplant thing a few times
    myself by not checking my slide foot before getting up there to bowl and
    it was quite embarrassing to say the least now I check it every time. LOL!!!!!!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

High Roller

We don't even have chairs or tables in our pit area so nowhere to sit even if it were allowed. When they went to computer scoring they removed the chairs too. We now have tables back on the carpeted area.

SandBagger

The same thing (minus the rude kids) happened to me about five weeks ago. There had been a lot of rain and then a freeze which caused a wall of ice on a portion of the bowling center's roof. And then warmer weather came and ice on the heated portion of the roof flowed to the ice dam on the sloped roof. Several leaks occurred. While the center was very quick to get emergency plastic sheeting up to stop the leaks, some of the carpet had become soaked by that time. I must have accidentally stepped on that carpet (I was purposely avoiding that area) at some point. I almost always check my slide foot, but for some reason I didn't. Result: foot stuck, knee bent backwards a bit, and I fell down, fortunately catching myself with both hands, but still crashing on one knee. Ouch! The ball almost went into the pocket and I got eight pins. Fortunately I sustained no serious injuries, considering how much I slide and fast I stopped, it could have been a lot worse.

Fortunately I've never had to get beer off my shoes, but with water, brushing them and letting them air out for two hours before league worked just fine. But water isn't sticky.

As an aside, when I supervise the school kids, I am adamant that they never, ever take drinks down to the bowling area. I have the feeling that many of them will choose to do so when I am not around even though they have been taught otherwise. Some people can claim ignorance, but I believe others just don't care.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Too many quotes to select so I'll reply one at a time LOL

bdpeters: Trust me, I REALLY wanted to put a foot in some arse's with the comments I was getting. Had my co-workers not come down it probably would have turned out different. I wouldn't have gotten fired or even in trouble, boss already told me that. LOL I'm not a fighter by any means but messing with me when I'm in that kind of pain is like messing with an injured animal. Had they not acted like they did I would have just hobbled away and moved on. However they were being douches and that's what made me want to treat them like the pins and I was the ball.

Amyers: If our cosmic was obnoxious with strobes and disco balls I wouldn't do it. It's really just black lights and some strip lights between the lanes, it's very non-intrusive and kind of pretty. It's more like "Candlelight" than cosmic. To me I'm so used to it, it's like bowling regular just harder to see my mark but I manage. We rarely use it anyway. Strobes would be a deal killer since I have a seizure disorder. Think I face planted this time? I'd do more than that with a strobe I'd probably have a grand mal.

Dice: Yeah it does tend to attract the drunks but no more than the bar with $2 drink specials. LOL

Got_a_300: I can only imagine how yours feels from getting knocked out from impacts, that has to be worse. Mine just happens from moving it wrong and that's bad enough. Fortunately it doesn't take long to pop back in. I've done the whack it back into place trick before and holy crap the only worse pain is from burns.

Like I said I'm gonna go to management about this food / drink in the bowling area. Not only is it unsafe but it's messes that can be avoided. On leagues we hand out complimentary movie theater popcorn since we are part of a movie theater. That's always fun to clean up after they leave.

Boatman: Our tables are just up two stairs behind the bowling area. Right by the control stand for the lanes there are 5 seats behind each lane. When we do the remodel they are going to re-design it. How I don't know just yet. They are laid out rather crappy. I like how they used to have it back in the day with the early scorers, there was room for 6 plus a place by the approach for towels and rosin bags. I guess it all depends on if they are setting it up for bowlers or parties.

TCJ: Since our lanes are underground the movie theater is above us so if we got a major leak it would hit them first. In the 100 yrs the place has been around to my knowledge water never got down there. On rain or snowy days we have signs everywhere to take shoes off before entering bowing area and tell people when handing out shoes. Usually no issue. I'm sure enforcing the no food / drink rule would be tough to enforce as long as all employees pay attention it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thank you everyone for the responses, like I said I feel like I have friends here and I appreciate it. I work in a couple hours I'm gonna talk to the boss and see what he says. I'll let you know what happens. Nonetheless, I'll be sliding my foot before every shot from here on out that's for sure. Lesson learned.

Wow, I slept like 15 hours last night. I can't remember the last time I did that. My wife was actually concerned because if I get 4-5 hours I'm good to go. I think all the running around at work I've been doing caught up to me. Plus I've had a mild bug. That said, after a few cups of coffee I feel pretty darn good. My knee doesn't even hurt even without meds. I was doing some bends and exercises including a mock approach without a ball and I'm not getting any pain. Not in my knee at least. The only ones I do have are from age, can't do anything about those.

My wife and son are begging me to take them to bowl later. I swore I wouldn't go today on my day off. I'll likely cave but I'm going to go pick up my Rip'd first. I may throw a ball during one of their games to see if I get any pain. If I don't a may throw one line at most. I don't want to tempt fate. Besides, who here could get a brand new ball and go to a bowling alley after and NOT try it out? It's like having a new Ferrari delivered in your driveway and saying "Meh, I'll take it for a cruise in a few weeks when I feel like it" Yeah right! I'm sure if my knee is still messed up it will let me know really quick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast