Thread: tanked

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default tanked

I got a chance to try my Pathogen. (thanks BB) this is my first fingertip drilling and it was a new experience for me. I was paying to much attention to working on my hook and getting used to the fingertip grip and was not doing so hot. I invited my mom to bowl with me and she was watching me and noticed I was not looking to comfortable. she did not say anything until we were done but i realized my timing was way off. I was arriving and the foul line early and had to wait for my swing to catch up. I also was not following through because of this. I was so busy worrying what the ball was doing and everything else was suffering. so I decided to work on my timing to start out with and not worry about the ball. I need to review the steps I am taking and make sure I am starting my approach at the right distance. I have been reading prior posts on the subject but any refresher tips would be appreciated. I did not take any video but I think that will be one step I need to do next time out so i can see for myself what i am doing. the few shots that felt comfortable resulted in strikes and I still love the new ball.

thanks.

Chats: 32

Give yourself some time to adjust to the new grip. it takes a while for it to feel comfortable to be able to think about other things
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I agree with Amyers. Take your time and enjoy yourself. I'm in my late 40's and just got my first fingertip ball last October. So, I understand the challenges of putting this all together. However, I can tell you, once you begin putting some of these things together, it gets much less frustrating (most days, lol). By the way, I consider myself pretty much a beginner but, I have some pretty decent games, here and there.

As far as approach, here are a couple of videos that helped me understand the approach a little better. I can't stand the music on the second one but, hey, if it helps, you can get past it, right? I actually don't start that far back but, I am also not half as good a bowler as the people in these videos so, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

since I am only allowed embed one video in a post, I have simply included the link on the second one.

https://youtu.be/OoyRbBHXQOA

Ringer

Thanks all this will be a big help. Even though I was not at the lanes this afternoon I was practicing my timing and approach in the living room while watching the news. I figure there is no time like the present to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    As far as approach, here are a couple of videos that helped me understand the approach a little better. I can't stand the music on the second one but, hey, if it helps, you can get past it, right? I actually don't start that far back but, I am also not half as good a bowler as the people in these videos so, take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    These were helpful. Thanks for posting them.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    These were helpful. Thanks for posting them.
    yes they were good helpful videos. I also checked out from the local library a video with Norm Duke that has seemed pretty helpful on explaining some drills for timing and the approach.

Ringer

Update. I have been working on my approach and timing and not worrying about anything else. I found my mark on the approach that felt natural and just bowled. Did a little better today. Plus I noticed that I was having a tough time seeing the arrows on the lane so I wore my glasses. things at a distance are blurry but I very rarely wear them because I have to keep lifting them too see where I am walking. I think it helped, I was hitting my arrows better and also doing better at spares. I figure I will work on my timing more and hitting my mark and worry about improving my hook later. I appreciate everyone's help won my posts plus all the good info gleaned from others posts.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

High Roller

You really shouldn't need to do anything 'special' to hook the ball. I have a regular release. No fancy wrist twisting or elbows flying. I just come up behind the ball (more like at about the 7:00 position (left hander). The ball and the drilling pattern will do the work for you. Sure you can get fancy later if you want but no need to now. You can easily hold a 200 average with a normal release. Get your timing down and get consistent first. And making spares will get you where you want to be. Strike for show, spare for dough. If you have 3 strikes and 8 spares you will likely do better than if you had 5 strikes and only 2 spares (depending on if they were back to back). My 2nd game last night I only had 2 strikes but had 9 spares and ended with a 190. Sure would have loved to have had a few more strikes but if I hadn't got my spares I would have probably been at about 130. If you have the accuracy and consistency to make your spares then you will get your strikes.

I'm not a coach but have been around the game long enough to have seen hundreds of good bowlers. The top bowlers do not miss spares.