Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovering Mentally after Injury

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

Default Recovering Mentally after Injury

I was curious to see how other people deal with this.

This season I was having the best season of my life all the way through December. I was rolling a 224 average and everything seemed really, really easy. I made my spares when I needed to, but usually I was just striking so I didn't have to bother much. The spares I left were easy one pins leaves. Then in late December I pinched a nerve (or something like it) in my neck. I bowled two days later, but I couldn't do much and I wasn't surprised. Should have stayed home. I still had occasional twinges of pain with the wrong movements for about three weeks after that but I could certainly go through bowling motions much better. At least I could get the ball on the lane and to my target. A couple weeks after that my neck was pain free and I could move it just fine. Bowling caused no discomfort. However, ever since that incident my bowling has hit rock bottom. I went from 224 at the midpoint to 208 at the end of the season. To me it's mind boggling because I feel just fine, but I have no consistency in anything I do, I am missing my spares, and I can't string strikes.

So the question is...

Is it just a mental thing that developed during the injury which has persisted? Did I subconsciously change something physical to adapt (and make the neck hurt less) which has resulted in poor bowling? Or am I just in what people call a slump and there's nothing really wrong? I know, you can't really answer it but... at the moment I can't either.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

I'm just getting back into bowling but thought I'd share. So my son gets the bowling bug which is really cool to me as I love bowling. We go out and bowl a handful of times and I'm trying to knock the rust off. About 5 weeks ago I'm waiting for both my boys to get to the alley, and rolling away (all you can bowl special). I went after a spare hard and pulled the heck out of my upper bicep. I'm talking it hurt bad enough that I went and asked for a bag of ice. I spent the rest of that round, and the additional next 4 weeks, rolling left handed.

So now I'm healed and getting back out there. I'll bowl a few frames and then feel that little tiny twinge in my bicep. From that point on I can't really bowl freely because I'm worried I'm going to re-injure it. I feel like until I get past that, I won't really have any good rounds.

Not in bowling but in golf I herniated by L5 Vertebrae. Even after it had healed I was having problems on the golf course because I was expecting a jolt of pain every time I really drove down through the ball. My unconscious solution was to start standing up in my backswing to reduce the torque on my back. I finally just started practicing the elements of the swing that I used to find painful until my mind was convinced I was healed and my body had relearned the muscle memory of a proper swing.

I'll be able to answer pretty soon after I heal up to see how I do. Although our injuries are different I'm curious to see how I do after. I was just starting to get better with knee continuation too. Of course the last ball I threw my knee continued but forgot to bring the rest of my leg with it LOL It's getting better already though. We'll see i guess

High Roller

Mine was probably a little more serious and a much longer layoff but I tore tendons in my elbow in 2002 at work and had surgery a year later. The Dr. said I would never be 100%. I ended up with bursistis in my shoulder and impingement. If I do anything strenuous my arm is sore the next day. I quit bowling in 2002 and threw my bowling equipment away. About 5 years ago a friend said they needed another bowler and I told him I can't do it. In the last few years we went to bowling parties and I tried a few games and felt pretty good so a few months ago I went back. I am about 25 pins below my average now but it's probably due more to the absence than the injury but I know I take ibuprofen before I bowl and still sore the next day. I don't think I could bowl 2 nights in a row and probably not even every other night.

All that said, when I first started back a few months ago I was throwing different to try to 'protect' my elbow but as I got more comfortable I think I am back to my normal release. It wouldn't surprise me if you are subconsciously doing something slightly different or at least thinking about it.

SandBagger

I really do have a feeling it was something physical. Last night was the final night of league and everything finally started to feel right again. I was stringing strikes and when I hit the pocket the pins would scatter. During my slump when I would hit the pocket in the same spot with the same ball the pins might fall, but they didn't fly much. Also last night I was carrying heavy and light hits and the past eight weeks the same hits would leave splits and other weird pin combinations. There was definitely something different about how I was throwing the ball. Do I know exactly what it was? No. But I think I have a good idea.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

I'm still having trouble with my spares. In the past, I would fire a lighter house ball down the lane, no problem. Now, because that's how I hurt my arm, I'm scared to do it. The first twinge of pain in my arm and I'm changing my normal routine.

The good news is, each time I go it's getting better.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'm still having trouble with my spares. In the past, I would fire a lighter house ball down the lane, no problem. Now, because that's how I hurt my arm, I'm scared to do it. The first twinge of pain in my arm and I'm changing my normal routine.

The good news is, each time I go it's getting better.
    One thing that almost all coaches agree on is that if you use a different ball to shoot spares, (and most of us think everyone should use a polyester spare ball for corner pins), that ball should be thesame weight andfit as your strike ball.
    John

Although my injury was to my knee and face I seem to be just fine. It was only 3 or 4 days and I hit the lanes. My knee isn't bothering a bit on the lanes. I still hobble around the house in the morning and after work if I've been sitting on the couch for more than a half hour. On the lanes it's just fine, bending it well and in no pain at all. As far as the face the glue has pushed it's way out and I have a scar on my eyebrow. It looks to be okay, although my left eyebrow will be a bit thinner than the right probably forever. Meh, it's not like I was going to win a beauty contest anyway.

Either way my bowling hasn't been negatively effected in any way. If anything it's better. I slowed things down a bit, I'm having no problems bending and my release has not been an issue getting out of the ball. I think the face plant hurt my ego more than my body now that all has been said and done
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    One thing that almost all coaches agree on is that if you use a different ball to shoot spares, (and most of us think everyone should use a polyester spare ball for corner pins), that ball should be thesame weight andfit as your strike ball.
    This is making more and more sense to me every time I play. The reason why I use a lighter ball is that, due to the way I bowl, I get high revs on house balls. So a lighter ball stays on it's line easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast