Thread: More good news

Chats: 0

Default More good news

Some bad news first. Apparently 4 of my co-workers are leaving. One already gave notice. 3 of the 4 are either done with college or pursuing their degrees and are moving on to start their careers. Good for them but I'll be sad to see them go. They are all excellent co-workers that I've enjoyed getting to know and working with. The 4th one is a teen who's moving away. Nice kid but needs to mature a little anyway with his customer service and work ethics. So we are losing 2 counter people, one pin chaser and an assistant manager.

Now the good news. Boss sat me down today and he wants me to be the new assistant manager. Apparently from what he's been hearing from customers, co-workers and yes he seen the Google review and from his own observation he believes he'd be an idiot not to promote me. This isn't written in stone yet because I told him in order to take on the extra responsibility that the pay needs to match as well as more hours.

I told him anything like $1 an hour increase isn't gonna come close to cutting it, he's gonna have to put some meat on the table before I accept. He knows I have over a decade of high level management experience under my belt and I can do the job with my eyes closed. So the offer better be substantial not laughable. A little latitude and weight with some decision making would also have to be involved too. Otherwise I'll just keep doing what I am already doing for what I'm doing it for and be happy as a clam and I mean it. If he wants me to do it bad enough he'll agree to my terms, if not I won't lose any sleep over it. Not bad though since I've only been there just over a month.

Cranker

That's great news. Hopefully you get a decent raise. Will you still be doing working as a mechanic as well or would you hire your replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    That's great news. Hopefully you get a decent raise. Will you still be doing working as a mechanic as well or would you hire your replacement?
    Oh no, I'm still going to be a mechanic, that I did make sure of. I enjoy that way too much and I told the boss that. There is another assistant manager and the main manager. I'm leaning more toward the mechanic side of things in the long run. The guy they have back there will be around for a while but he's 70 and wants to slowly ween himself away. I will eventually take over for him.

We don't really need a full time 7 day a week mechanic. He only works 3-4 days a week and will come in an emergency. When he's not there I learned enough so far to fix many things. Unless it's catastrophic I seem to be handling it thus far. Just about everyone including the girls are trained on the basics of the machines enough to clear a pin jam, stuck balls and out of ranges and re-spot pins.

Chats: 4

Sounds like a great opportunity here's to hoping that
    he will meet your terms and you get the promotion.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Sounds like a great opportunity here's to hoping that
    he will meet your terms and you get the promotion.
    My terms aren't all that much really. Being a manager always sounds great by title but I can tell you from experience it can be a lot more headaches than it's worth. Even at the phone company I loved being a field tech, when I got promoted I still went out in the field instead of sitting at a desk. I had one and an office but I spent more time in the field than in the building because I loved it that much. Then I got promoted to Midwest regional field manager and they still couldn't keep me from going out doing the grunt work.

The director used to call me and say "You gotta be in the office for this conference call" I told him "I have hands free on my cell, I'll be on the call even if I'm at a customer prem. It's speaker phone not video, so nobody is gonna know if I'm troubleshooting a circuit or sitting at a table in a suit eating donuts will they?" Needless to say they never did. I was the only one in the conference room when the CEO's showed up who wasn't in a suit, I had on Carhartt's, steel toed boots and other tools hanging from my belt. LMAO

This is obviously different since it's a bowling alley, not a nation wide telecom company. I'm not nor will I ever be a desk jockey, it's just not me. I didn't take this job to "advance" or make it a career. I just want it to be a job, and one I enjoy regardless of the money. As long as moving up doesn't take the fun out of it I'm okay with it. Sounds crazy but I like fetching ice for the bar, cooking chicken wings, spraying bowling shoes, making bloody marry's and tinkering with the machines. I'm just a get my hands dirty type of guy I guess. Besides, when things go bad with a company the managers are the first to go because it's their fault (even if it's not). The ones they keep are the grunts who know what they are doing as long as you don't make too much.

Your last post reminds me. I got my biggest pay raise just prior to my having been let go. I had received several "Over the top awards" in the years previous as well. We had an evaluation system which was software based that I had finished half way through the year while everyone else in our department were struggling with it big time. Then I was out of a job and found myself retired. I was not a manager though. Still can't figure this whole thing out, but I truly don't much care anymore... Congrats on probably getting a promotion at your place Phoney. Sounds like you fit in there really nicely and you're having fun, too. That's the best! Good luck with those terms...

Ringer

Very nice, I hope it works out for you. but either way like you said you won't loose any sleep over it. keep us posted

Excellent - Making a positive impact at work already showing the results!

Yep we'll see how it goes. Nothing will likely happen until all these others are officially done. Which buys me time to continue to show my worth, more room for negotiation.